Sign in to follow this  
m_power

eletric supercharger

Any know or heard about these electric supercharger state that they give you 27hp and just bolt on, was thinking of one for my m10, then if i like it put the m42 in and have a nice little unit.

Guest Denny Crane

Better throw in a flux capacitor too, those electric superchargers draw alot of current.

I worked out it would be $1000 landed and fitted, for 15 hp, do you think that would be worth it? i would put it on my m10 first then maybe do the m42 coversion and put it on that, sounds pretty good to me for bolt up hp.

You have got to be joking? RIGHT? lol

You have got to be joking? RIGHT? lol

No i am not joking, i was just woundering if it would work, they have dyno results and everything so why wouldnt it, in theory it should...

These things have been around for ages. Test results show very little if any gain, if I remember rightly.

If you hadn't posted up some interesting stuff already Id probably be a wanker and laugh. But seeing as you seem to be above board and honestly taken by these I'll share a little bit of knowledge:

1) the electric motors these things run are not powerful enough to produce the kind of pressure that makes any difference

2) the current to power something like that negates most of the gain

3) the setup is usually leak prone so does not produce enough pressure

4) the setup is upstrem of the AFM, so the losses of air flowing through the AFM helps lose much of the gain

5) the AFM works on airflow not pressure, so although it will still work, it won't work as designed by BMW

6) your ecu doesn't know how to handle forced induction anyway

7) The air is usually hot, from an unsheilded pod filter = waste of time

8) maybe 5hp gain. 7hp if coupled with a nice set of headers (at aroiund $1-2k a pop for decent ones)

the dyno figures are dodgy at best (what other nods did they make at the same time? why isn't everyone running one of these????)

Sorry mate, but its o long known con.

Spend the $1k on a decent exhaust, and cold air intake and sme preventative maintenance and you'll get way more gains.

15 HP????? bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.. you just got to be kidding!!!

The word "Turbonator" also comes to mind here.. probably has the same gains (not much above zero) but much cheaper.

I dont know why you guys are getting all wanker over this, all i wanted to know is if they work or not, i dont want to hear all these bullshit comments about u have to be joking and sh*t, i wanted to ask a question and i wanted a simple answer not a ear bashing.

I dont know why you guys are getting all wanker over this, all i wanted to know is if they work or not, i dont want to hear all these bullshit comments about u have to be joking and sh*t, i wanted to ask a question and i wanted a simple answer not a ear bashing.

I'll second that one. All you wanted was a yes or a no. Nobody likes being shot from the sky guys.

At the same time I'll say what someone else said- cheap things that work, tend to be popular and common. That electric thing isnt either, i imagine.

Churr

I'll second that one. All you wanted was a yes or a no. Nobody likes being shot from the sky guys.

At the same time I'll say what someone else said- cheap things that work, tend to be popular and common. That electric thing isnt either, i imagine.

Churr

Thanks for that, finally someone who understands the question, and yes i did think it was a bit cheap to believe.

honest questions ..

dont worry too much .. the guys round here look down on the cheap power mods .. as they are just that .. cheap .. I would spend that money on getting yourself some schrick cams and high ratio LSD ... youll feel that power for sure :)

2 PSI is about .15 bar , low pressure turbos are around .4 to .5 bar high pressure turbos can be as much as 2 bar. Low pressure turbos can give 10 to 15% increase in power. High pressure 100%

Power increases are pretty close to boost pressure. eg 0.5 bar will give roughly 50% power increase. Think of it as an extra half an atmosphere being forced in.

Thing is becuase those leaf blowers would never create a +ve manifold pressure, I'd hardly call it 'forced induction'. 'assisted induction' would probably be more appropriate.

Word to Will...Turbonator was exactly what I was thinking.

$1000 for 15hp is not good Beau. Like said before, save ya grand, after all who wants a electricly supercharged 318?

Bavarian Boy does it again

And what are you trying to say by this?

i know this post is a lil old but fyi i worked in a store (dont ask where) when a guy came in complaining that he lost power when using one of these on his type r integra, 900$ and the cost of the dyno to prove it, we gave him a refund =/