Sign in to follow this  
will

OBC removal/light replacement

How to remove the OBC (my preferred method). This will be expanded to include the complete dash removal at a later date..

(it is very detailed to assist the E30 nOObs out there..)

All comments refer to the picture directly below them.

Remove the cover under the steering column. Remove the three plastic screws arrowed in yellow. They release by giving them a quarter turn. There may be another screw in the position arrowed in red. Remove this too. Pull the cover down and out.

Posted Image

Next remove the trim panel under the gauge console. There are two knurled wheels that screw it up behind the dash in the positions circled. Put your fingers up in the positions indicated and undo them by turning them in a clockwise direction. You may need to push on the outside of the cover to release them slightly. 2 pics below..

Posted Image

Posted Image

the next 2 pics show the cover removed and the slots where the knurled wheels are positioned behind the dash. (for clarity).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, remove the handbrake console.... Remove the rear ashtray and undo the plastic nut. (circled)

Posted Image

Lift the handbrake boot at the front to release it from the console. Lift the handbrake console from the rear and remove it.

Posted Image

Remove the main console around the gear lever.... Manual gearbox.... Separate the gearlever boot from the console.

Posted Image

Auto gearbox... pull the section of the plastic cover off as shown. Just put your fingers in the gap and lift the rhs cover.

Posted Image

onto next post, forum unfortunately limits the numberof pics to each post, so PLEASE don't post here till I am finished adding the whole writeup..

Will

Edited by will

Remove the plastic nut you find at the rear of the console under the gearlever boot/cover. (circled)

Pop the switches upwards from underside of console and remove the plugs from them.

Posted Image

Remove the astray by removing the 2 screws and lifting it from the rear and pulling it towards the front of the car. (It can stick so don't think there are any other screws you have missed). The second photo shows the tags that secure the astray holder to the rear of the console, the holder has to be pulled towards the front of the car to free these tags. Undo the cig lighter wires and remove the ashtray holder.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If the console has never been removed before, there will be an 8mm self-tapper up in the position shown. (red arrow) You will need to remove this. It is quite awkward to get to so use a mirror to see if it is in fact there. The second pic shows the console removed and the securing bracket is circled.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, there may be a plastic securing screw at the extreme front of the console as shown. This is released by turning a quarter turn and removing it.

Posted Image

Now lift the console from the gearlever end to free it from the stud that the plastic nut was screwed onto. Pull it backwards gently. You will probably need to assist the bracket that was attached by the 8mm self-tapper to clear from under the main dash. You may also need to free it from where it goes under the dash as it can stick there. Once free, you should be able to remove it completely. (Hint.. put the car in 4th gear and let the handbrake down so that it doesn't hook on either the gearlever or the handbrake lever).

onto next post.. forum limits the number of pics in each post...

Edited by will

If you have a lot of patience and a small star screwdriver, you can leave the 2 consoles in place and just proceed to the next step. But be warned, it is bloody awkward and I have found it less frustrating and a lot quicker to remove both consoles first.

Remove the two philips screws in the positions indicated by the screwdriver. Use a mirror to view them if you can’t see them. Two pics below show the positions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pop all the switches out of the centre dash console panel, remove the three vent control slider knobs and the two rotational switch knobs for the temp and fan controls as arrowed/circled. . (If necessary, also remove the radio from the console).

Posted Image

Use a screwdriver inserted through the slider slots to pry the cover panel forward as shown and remove the cover.

Posted Image

Remove the 4 screws from behind the cover as shown.

Posted Image

next post....

Remove the nut holding the fan control switch. Use a small flat screwdriver to unscrew it.

Posted Image

Remove the two small philips head screws from the positions shown.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The panel holding the OBC should now be free. Pull it forward to remove.

Posted Image

Remove the plug under the OBC by pulling the black clip outwards and free the plug.

Posted Image

Remove the OBC by removing the 4 philips head screws holding it in place.

Posted Image

next post...

Edited by will

Pull the light bar out using a long nose pliers or similar.

Posted Image

Pic shows light bar and 2 globes.

Posted Image

Now replace the globes.. use 6v ones if you can locate them or convert the board to accept 12v ones. (You can also use LED's but I have not tried this yet so can't comment as to how effective it will be..)

Converting the light bar to use 12V bulbs.

Pic shows standard light bar viewed from the board side. You need to remove a small section from the track (arrowed). This is the ONLY mod you make to the board itself.

Posted Image

Pic shows removed section (circled).

Posted Image

Next, use soldering iron to remove both 6V globes. Replace the globes with 12V ones. I use the globes you find in the ash tray lights. You can also buy these small 12V lights from Repco etc. Some jappas use them as well. They push into a holder. You will need to bend the contacts away from the globe and clean the wires by scraping them with a blade so the surface is ready for soldering. If you don't scrape them clean, the solder won't stick.

Once you have soldered the new globes back in, you need to solder 2 bits of thin wire in the positions shown to form the parallel circuit.

Posted Image

Put the bar back in the OBC and reassemble the car in reverse order of disassembly.

As stated, I will expand this at a later stage to include the complete removal of the dash..

Edited by will

Ok, finished, what a hassle to get it posted.

If anything is not clear, just post and I'll try to expand on this.

Ok Martyyn, you can get out of your zimmerframe and get to it now!! :D

Will

I do have a semi-related question, Is it just me or does no ones elses door gong work? as I have learnt that it is a OBC function and anyone know how to fix them?

Awesome write up Will, I must replace my back light at sometime

Didn't know there was a door gong function..?? None of my current 3 cars with OBC have it ??

The little speaker looking thing above the brake peadal is a gong thing that also is supposed to work with the LIMIT button on the OBC and when the door is open and the keys in the ignition or so the owners manual says...

Not that fussed with it just wouldnt mind fixing it

Posted Image

Know about the gong, works when you set the speed limit and exceed it or when the outside temp is below 3degC (Ithink) to warn of possible ice on the road. Gong works on all my cars but not with the door..

Guest Denny Crane

My gong's wires were cut, so I changed the underdash panel to one without it.

Great writeup Will!

Bulbs went suddenly on my OBC last week. Did this yesterday incl. paralleling the circuit for 12v bulbs. Worked a treat.

I want to do this. but... I'd really like to see a picture of the front of the 12v bulb swap haha.

Have bulbs, 3 spare lightbars but can't see it fitting :S