Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

disc brakes

i got my 1985 bmw 320i about 4 months ago and ive gone through five sets of disc roters does anyone know why?

?

How worn are they?

The pads would wear first.

Id be guessing front as its a pre f/l 320 and they have drums on the rear (Unless NZ New?)

Never heard of anything like this before. Pads would usually wear first. Maybe they are locking on and you are driving with them on partial contact, in turn grinding them down faster?

The calipers can jamb on the pins that they are supposed to "float" on. When this happens the calipers no longer move to follow the disk runout, the disks then overheat, warp and wear.

Edited by Graeme

the pads are the same ones i got when i got the car and they still got about 6mm on them i got a disc rear end at home that i am going to put in when i got time. the disc is warping as oppossed to wearing out. the wheel bearing seem fine.

the pads seem prety hard and i am replacing the discs. my discs cost me about $150 ea. at one point the discs warped so badly they shook the bolts off the caliper and the caliper fell off and took half the brake line with it.