Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Who knows about repairing wheels?

Anyone had experience with properly and correctly repairing curbed wheels?

Over the past few weeks I have been practicing my painting and am now at a point where I am happy to do things like wheels. Wondering if I should tackle my momos. They need some serious curbing fixed (not mine! on there when purchased) which I guess I will need to bog and sand/grind down? then sand the rest and primer and paint.

Want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Keiti and I have successfully bogged and resprayed the boot, bumpers and front grill on her '96 Galant to a standard that I am proud of for a first-ever car painting attempt. Was a very steep learning curve.

Dude, there is a thread. Somewhere, i think someone was re-doing some schnitzers..

But yea if you dont have a lathe that you can spin the wheels down on go around the edge of the wheel witha file to take and loose sh*t off then yuh, bog the f**kers.

Sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint.

Done

I thought the correct way to do it was to weld a new lip of metal on, then machine that?

depends on what finish you want. I had to get my curbing welded, then lathed and then polished.

If your just painting then a bit of nu-tech and you should be right, shouldn't affect the balance much at all.

Thanks - I probably will, was just toying with the idea of doing it myself - pretty sure I can't be bothered now though, but thanks for everyones suggestions.

for light to medium scratches on painted wheels, I just flatten them out with a file, fill them with a bit of epoxy filler (ordinary car bog is fine though) sand and paint. If you have machined rims, and big gouges, then they will need welding,and machining back. The problem with this is that the heat from welding "normalises" the surrounding metal (destroys the heat treatment) making the area softer, so this is best avoided if possible.

Yes go to Lance at Arrow wheels in Avondale Auckland - has all the gear and does it "properly" for reasonable money.

Has anyone else used Arrow wheels to repair wheels? I have used them for some of mine, I noticed when a smal chip is back in the wheels, the newly painted shadow chrome starts to peel away so the orignal paint is showing .....kinda like a snake shreading its skin. Has anyone noticed this? -- if you have used Arrow wheels

arrow were good for straightening a bent basket weave...chrome cant usually be repaired?