Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

OBC question

yeah i just wanted to know what e30's came out with the 13 button on-board-computer , i assume it was facelift models and maybe it was an option

hmmmmm

maybe i just awnsered my own question

but if im wrong tell me

Guest Spargo

Pretty much an option, but it was standard on SE spec cars. FYI: i've only ever seen 2 motorsports with it (out of about 20-30 cars)

Guest Spargo

A useless waste of money. Far better removed and replaced with a SPA Oil Pressure / Water Temperature digital gauge.

Come on! Useless info pwns. I love to know how agressively i'm driving (mpg guage)

Agreed tho, an Alpina style guage with say, 6 seperate digital redoubts would own. example:

water temp

oil temp

inlet air temp

exhaust temp

a/f ratio

oil pressure

Guest Speedye30

Useless info? Like how much fuel your car has been using in l:100km? Or the distance to empty? These things are very very very useful!!! HA! as is average speed and outside temperature...

Guest Spargo

outside temperature...

I just put my hand put the window, quite often it's cod.

Guest Speedye30

Quite often you can catch a cod when you hang your hand out the window?? Where are you driving that thing?!

the dist to empty thing is pretty useless.....the L/100k isnt sh*t hot either....the rest is just toys.....an oil pressure/temp guage would be damn handy there

I got my OBC so i can have the outside temperature .... i think it's pretty useful since i live in an area that frosts and snows easily in winter .. so i would like to know how cold it is outside ....

Guest Speedye30

the dist to empty thing is pretty useless.....the L/100k isnt sh*t hot either....

No so, squire... The distance to empty thing gets regular use in my car. Its not 100% accurate, but much better than running out of fuel, and I've cut it fine (blinking ----!!) but never actually run out of fuel! And the litres per 100 thing was used yesterday, where my car returned 8.8l/100 over the trip to welly and back.

Who here has run the tank dry?? C'mon, own up!!

Who here has run the tank dry?? C'mon, PWN up!!

haha i had my old diesel ute surging - that was cutting it fine, but i never let either of my cars get below 1/4 of a tank - ive only ever run my bimmer down to fuel light once - just to see what it would do - like where the light was (and if it even had 1!!)

haha..dave has run his car dry numerous times! i know because im the one who gets a lonely phone call needing petrol! on mine the dist to empty thing is much less than 100% accurate...after a full tank it says around 800k to go...ill be lucky if i get 550 or so.....the L/100 k is actually ok.....best ever was round 6.9L/100k on a nice sedate drive to whanga...i find the most useful one is the L of fuel left....is a little inaccurate below 15L but is very cool to know exactly how many L of gas you have left!

Letting your car run dry is not a great idea. It is a great way of putting and scum that develops in the bottom of your fuel tank into your fuel filter, and stuffing up your fuel delivery.

along with letting your fuel pump cavitate.....thereby burning out relays...nasty stuff

... an Alpina style guage ...

start at USD600 if you can find them.

1. if you want air temp:

inside -shut the windows and doors;

outside - open a window and shove your hand out

2. if you care about fuel consumption - don't drive a BMW (and in any event, never go below an 1/8th of a tank

3. are concerned about time, you're driving too slow!

start at USD600 if you can find them.

1. if you want air temp:

inside -shut the windows and doors;

outside - open a window and shove your hand out

2. if you care about fuel consumption - don't drive a BMW (and in any event, never go below an 1/8th of a tank

3. are concerned about time, you're driving too slow!

well said man, haha good sh*t :D

also can a facelift e30 be installed with a OBC easily like does it just plug in?

and wat about other obc that arnt the full 13 button can they be installed easily?

cheers :bmw:

Guest Spargo

6 button obc = shite

12 button is easy to install, as in the facelift, the wiring is behind the dash, so you just need a temp and wheel speed sensor.

You can also install a 13 button in a pre 87, but you need to splice a later plug into the older loom, and to be honest, if you're going to do that, you may as well replace the entire loom with a later style one, as it is easier to work on.

:thumb:

Guest Andrew

so all up the 12 button obc is a good easy thing to install?

To be honest - not really. Waste of time and money.

ill second that...and i have one

Letting your car run dry is not a great idea. It is a great way of putting and scum that develops in the bottom of your fuel tank into your fuel filter, and stuffing up your fuel delivery.

where do you think it sucks the fuel up?

from the top of the tank?

where do you think it sucks the fuel up?

from the top of the tank?

????