Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

BMW M6: Too much performance?

By TOM VOELK / Special contributor to NWCN.com

Posted Image KING

The Jones’ will have a very tough time keeping up with this car.

Occasionally I get a taste of the high life when a manufacturer drops a car made of unobtainium off at my office. After a thorough test I pass this info on to you. I’m of the firm belief that a car doesn’t have to be expensive to fun. Still it’s always a treat to see how the other half lives. This week I’m living large in a BMW M6. The Jones’ will have a very tough time keeping up with this car.

Starting at $100,000 for a base model, the M6 is not for the faint of heart or light of checkbook. Expensive cars are desired for a reason. Don’t appreciate bleeding edge technology and high performance? There’s always the crass pleasure that others think you are someone special. Not that you aren’t.

The plain BMW 6 Series which starts at $75,000 is a very distinctive car (and really shouldn’t be described as plain in any circumstance). Add a unique front fascia, back end diffuser, exposed carbon fiber roof plus a host of enhancements under the skin and this rare vehicle becomes something exotic.

For those who don’t already know, M badges on a BMW mean mucho performance. In that department, the M6 doesn’t disappoint. If you need a tool for blistering pavement, choose this one from the shed. After living with it for a week though, I keep asking myself this- Is it too much performance? Let me explain.

The racing derived 5 liter 40-valve V10 (yes, 10) delivers 400 hp for puttering around town. Not enough? Push the “M” button on the steering wheel for 100 more. Maximum torque is 383 lb.-ft at 6,100 rpm. It redlines at 8,250 and sounds like a Bavarian symphony doing it. No need for the great stereo, I’ll just listen to the engine thank you very much.

The 7-speed SMG transmission can be manually shifted using the console stick or steering wheel paddles shifters. It can also be dropped into an automatic mode. This is a rear drive vehicle.

The culmination of these mechanical parts and electronic software wizardry results in breathtaking performance. Zero to 60 happens in a tongue swallowing 4.5 seconds. This kind of brute force is at first scary. Run through a number of launches it’s still scary, but in a fun way.

So what’s wrong with that? Nothing, if you’re on a closed course. A talented driver on a race track can put all this go fast equipment to use. Trips to the grocery store are another matter. In this environment the M6 is a chore to drive. In everyday traffic it’s jumpy off the line, even with M mode disabled. Transmission shifts that are lightning fast when pushing this car become curiously long when slogging in city traffic. Like a caffeinated greyhound, this car lets you know it only wants to run hard.

An adjustable suspension goes from firm (when set to Comfort) to rock hard for track use. After some experimenting I’ve left it on Comfort and suspect most owners will too. Hustling this car down my favorite country road, I’m not coming close to finding the cornering limits. That would certainly mean jail time. It’s fun getting a full exemption from the laws of physics on the sharp turns I challenge though.

The huge cross-drilled anti-lock brakes, 14.7” up front and 14.6” in back, stop the M6 right now. The various electronic stability and traction controls can be turned off for those who are feeling brave, or foolish. When in flight, this BMW demands full attention with its very direct steering. Remember that when iDrive gets addressed in a moment.

The driver and passenger are snugly surrounded by a hand-stitched leather instrument panel supporting a small forest of wood trim. Think Jetsons meets Amish furniture. I doubt the Amish have much need for a 200 mile speedometer though (electronically governed to 155 Mr. Speed Racer). The drink-holder looks like sculpture. The deeply bolstered seats are especially supportive. The experience is like being in a Sharper Image leather cocoon. Some will find it form-fitting. Others? Claustrophobic.

Some folks find that BMWs turn signal operation takes some time getting used to. Bump them slightly and it triggers three flashes for courteous lane changes. There’s no tactile feel if you go past that and into full turn signal mode though. Move to cancel and it’s easy to signal the other direction. To those behind you, it looks terribly indecisive at best.

There are loads of electronics. BMW offers HD radio across the board now. Bluetooth phones become hands-free in this cabin. There’s keyless ignition and a proximity sensor that helps to keep the bumpers scratch-free when parking.

All that plus the most pleasant warning chime in the car business can’t make up for the frustration I’m experiencing with iDrive though. Perhaps you’ve heard of BMW's much maligned user interface. This version is apparently simplified. Good thing. Call me a Ludite, but I find it very distracting to use while driving. Combine that with hair trigger steering and soft road shoulders are just a screen glance away. Everything short of the weather can be manipulated with the hefty metal jog wheel - sound system, climate control, satellite nav, even the transmission settings. Do it before getting underway or learn the voice command controls.

There is a back seat, sort of. It won’t get much use. There’s actually more room in the back of the smaller 3 Series coupe. Consider it a 2-seater with emergency space. If you need a high performance family car, go with the M5 sedan.

The M6 not a small car. The toilet paper test finds the trunk to be about average at 6 packs.

Styling is a hot topic with BMW these days. The trunk seam on the back end is too obvious, but overall, I like the elongated and aggressive design of the 6 Series coupe. The M6 version with its 19” wheels and unique fascias looks even better. Drop an extra $5,000 and the coupe becomes a soft-top convertible.

I understand those who might contact me to assail my manliness for not drooling over a car like this. Go ahead, I’m married and can take it. After a week of seat time, the M6 and I just didn’t connect. Truth be told, it surprised even me. That’s the way it is though. If you have gobs of money, finagle a test drive to see if it fits your personality.

You will see very few of these on the road but you’ll know it when one is near. In sight and sound, subtle it is not. The one I’m driving is responsible for a dozen cases of whiplash, minimum. The M6 may tear up a race course with incredible cornering and performance but consider it a dedicated tool for a specific job.

what a pussy

that IS why e30s are fun though..low limits, they are scum and of course their 4x4 ability :D

im not sure what to say ... what a muppet.

The m6 is BMW current flagship model ... he needs to look at it differently, its not just an expensive car its BMW's flagship! So like would he say the same thing with porche CGT or ferrari enzo or merc mcclearen SLR ? which are far more expensive.

I dont think hes actually figured out that its A/ a cheap mid range GT tourer B/ BMW aint all about big power but more handling and raw engineering (the CS will change this) C/ its a BMW ... nuff sed

Its still fcukin ugly.

I reckon it looks awesome bar the back of it.. terrible styling for 6 series/E60 rear ends.