Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Key Light Modification

Guest Andrew

Hi,

Was browsing e3s and saw someone ask how to replace thier battery in their lighted key. A link was posted on how to modify them for LEDs. Since our keys are a bit diff i'll post how I did it.

1. Open your key case, there should be a notch on the left hand side of the key (if the key is pointing away from you). Wedge a screwdriver into it and pry off the case.

2. Run to Dick Smith and buy your self these parts:

Lithium Battery CR1616 10 mm DSE code S 7126 cost $9.18

LED 5mm Super Bright RED code Z 4021 cost $1.70

Any led will do from 1.5 V to 3 V and ~ 20 mA . A blue one might look pretty cool also.

Yes i know the battery is way smaller than the bmw one but it works better.

3. Clean all the copper contacts and the contact sides of the spring.

4. THe longer side of the LED is anode which is positive. Usually the top of a coin type batt is postive. Connect your LED to the battery to test it.

5. Now the battery sits on top of the spring, the spring contacts the cathode (-) plate at the bottom, and as you actuate the button the top/side of the battery should touch the upper copper part (anode).

6. Use a knife to make the hole a bit bigger for the LED.

7. Bend the LED terminals to the right length and solder the cathode to the bottom contact and anode to the top one. Don't forget to tin both the copper and terminals before hand, don't get the LED hot. Once you have them connected make sure it all fits then cut the leftover terminal off the LED.

8. Check the battery manually sitting on the top of the spring with your finger.

10. Put it back together and enjoy your pimp LED key that you now have.

It should last ages compared to the bulb that was in there before.

edit: Well mine just broke when i put the key in ignition.. fixed it again. Make sure you get the LED really far back in the key.

the stock ones aren't LED.. DAMMIT THIS IS A MOD

really? :o:PB)

Guest Streetspec_is

yeah this works a treat, i did it a few months ago...got a nice blue LED in there. its damn easy too, i couldnt find my sooldering iron, so i didnt even bother to solder it. i might solder it sometime, cos sometimes the connection drops out a little and the led flashes....but giving it a shake fixes that.