Sign in to follow this  
Guest PK1

Which one?

Na those Porches have a flat 6

Isn't a flat 6 the same as an I-6 but put sideways?? And yeah those RB Nissan engines in the Skyline were pretty hot. Aren't most of the Subes are 4's not 6's.

Agreed that BMW & Volvo are two of the only makers that remain very loyal to the I-6 platform, and so far have been able to get away with it because of their safety reputation.

As far as I am aware one of the reasons many people strayed away from I6 engines is that they take up so much length in the engine bay, leaving little room for crumple zones. I6 engines can also be harder to cool than V6 engines. However they are the smoothest & most balanced engines around.

yeah I think you're right Dave, but the Mercs are all V's now.

My father drives a Ford Fairmont 4.0L I-6, bad electrics, bad ergonomics, bad transmission, bad road handling (I call it the oil tanker) ... but not a bad engine.

yeah I think you're right Dave, but the Mercs are all V's now.

My father drives a Ford Fairmont 4.0L I-6, bad electrics, bad ergonomics, bad transmission, bad road handling (I call it the oil tanker) ... but not a bad engine.

my dad also has a ford... an 03 xr6, not a bad car, no problems...

handling is average->nice, everything else not to bad at all....

Guest Spargo

NO! a flat six is NOT the same as an I6!

flat six: 1 3 5

2 4 6

Inline 6: 123456

on a flat six, the cylinders are and a 180degree plane. This format is known as a "boxer" (example: most of the ferrari engines in the 80;s early 90's were boxer 12's)

The advantage is that since the cylinders are in the same plane, the engione is balanced, meaning no balancer shaft is needed, and the engine is very compact, allowing it to be placed lower in the car, hence, the cars' centre of gravity improves.

03 XR6 is a hot car from what I've read (haven't driven it) Did he get the turbo model?

nope.... hahah he had a little rant about not needing anything bigger on NZ rds...

jus BS if u ask me!

NO! a flat six is NOT the same as an I6!

I stand corrected. (you are my hero :wub: ) ;)

One of my workmates spouts BS about turbo cars too, shouldn't knock it until you try it.

... but here is an odd one for Lexus:

IS200 - 2.0 inline 6

IS300 - 3.0 inline 6

GS300 - 3.0 inline 6

ES300 - 3.0 V6

:blink:

Probably cos it is fwd, and I think its based off the Camry.

The Falcon 6 maybe a lot of things, but it isn't smooth. Even the 'new' :lol: dohc one.

Isn't a flat 6 the same as an I-6 but put sideways?? And yeah those RB Nissan engines in the Skyline were pretty hot. Aren't most of the Subes are 4's not 6's.

Porshe and subaru use the boxer engine, not even close to a straight 6 closer to a v6 3 cylinders on either side (subaru x4), everyone seems to be forgetting the 80's holdons 3.0l straight 6, same block as the old skyline, wasn't til the vn where they started using the 3.8v6, the old jags had a l6, chevy blue flame engine was same, heaps of cars used them but it seems BMW is the only company to make them work right, B.

everyone seems to be forgetting the 80's holdons 3.0l straight 6, same block as the old skyline

the RB30 in the VLs uses the same block at the RB20, the RB20Es were used inthe GTE skylines up until about 1992/3 when the R32 became the R33, but yeah the engines out of the VL are the same as the ones used in the R32s etc - pretty indestructable! :D

yes, and the TVR on Top Gear last night had a mighty nice 3.5 litre I6 as well.

A screaming I6 produces a truly great sound.

Cheers

hahahahahahahaha best line ever!

yea thats a good one B)

oops i seriously did give her the front kick...all this talk of what cars have the l6

enjun....

i just flipped out when she yabbed bout the 1936 ford v8

ok no more drugs... :wacko:

Titled the all best round e36 the 323 is awesome, a detuned 325 with a sh*tload of mod potential.

First things first performance wise: after market induction system & an enlarged throttle body. :ph34r:

Haven't heard much from you lately Ali.

I just helped my sister find a E36, We were mainly looking at 323i's & 325i's.

The 323's had the nicer M3 style bumpers but the didn't go anywhere near as well as the 325's, you could really tell it was missing the 20hp from the topend.

You could easily see how they had restricted it HP, inlet runners were 1/2 the size of the 325, single exhaust (2-2.25" maybe) compared to the 2x2" of the 325, it even sounded restricted.

Bottom end they felt very similar, just when you rev'd then out did you really notice the diff.

She settled on a silver '94 325i with 82k, with colour coded bumpers and clear corner & sidemarkers. I'll get her to join and post some pics for Y'all.

Howz it mate yeah ive been pretty busy i guess...

Uve got to weight up everything and the 323s got the gas with out costing you an arm and a leg uve seen the price of high octane of late im constantly thinking of walking out in front of traffic, near $80 a week!!

She'll be mega happy with the 25, lucky thing..pics would be good mate so that i dont run her off the road like all the other sheep. :ph34r: