Sign in to follow this  
MattA

E30 LSD (hopeful I know)

Guest Zwilling

He's also sitting on King springs that i'll nab if I don't get Glen's springs and shocks

I laugh at E30's who dont have the battery in the back!

Muahahah!

(im sure its confused many a new owner looking for a jump start, despite there being a point in the front anyway)

Guest Spargo

Poverty spec, is the term you're looking for. Edited by CiLK WuRM

Guest Speedye30

Far out, a 4.1 diff would SUCK in a 325. 1st gear would to go 40 kph.. 2nd to like 80 !

Now wait a minute! A 325 would be faster with a 4.11 diff. (Better torque in the gears... especially with lightened flywheel mmm :beer: ).

Poverty spec, is the term you're looking for.
well, laugh at me then, my battery is under my bonnet, and not in the boot at all.

Cheers

Guest Spargo

Yes, it would be faster, but top speed would be lower, and motorway speeds would suck, rpm near 4000!

Yes, it would be faster, but top speed would be lower, and motorway speeds would suck, rpm near 4000!

Sam is bang on the button. I had a 4.10 diff in my car when the manual conversion was done. It was a pig on the open road.

I even found the 3.91 ratio to be a bit the same.

I am much happier with the 3.72 (or 3.73...can't remember off hand) that is in there now. I may not win any 1/4 mile sprints, but so be it.

Cheers

Guest Spargo

Sam is bang on the button. I had a 4.10 diff in my car when the manual conversion was done. It was a pig on the open road.

I even found the 3.93 ratio to be a bit the same.

I am much happier with the 3.72 (or 3.73...can't remember off hand) that is in there now. I may not win any 1/4 mile sprints, but so be it.

Cheers

I consider the 3.91:1LSD to be perfect. Having driven one of the few M325i's in NZ with one, it went like a rocket ship. I would say it was the perfect compromise between in gear acceleration and highway cruising.

Guest Zwilling

Is there a way to work out the ratio without actually checking it, ie: km/h @ nRPM in nth gear???

just check, it is a piece of cake and will take you less than 1 minute.

Get a torch, lie on your back and look at the diff. There will be a tag on it that will tell you your ratio.

Cheers

Guest Speedye30

4.11 diff (If you're lucky enough to find one) = 3000rpm @ 100k in 5th

Here, I have a really useful excel file which will work out tire sizes (this is really cool) and strut clearance when you go to wider rims... and gearing with all sorts of data there... Thanks to Ove Kvam for making the file.

Oh and Carl, yes this program will allow you to calculate your diff ratio...

compeng7.xls

Edited by Speedye30