Sign in to follow this  
antony

turbo manifolds (e30)

hey.

this is mainly out of curiosity... but what is the would be the disadvantages of running the 'turbo adapters' i see so many people running. surely if your just wanting to run low boost (<10psi) it would be the best way to go. simplicity/fabrication costs etc.

just interested to hear peoples point of view.

cheers

antony.

post-805-1179283055_thumb.jpg

I think they have there merits.

If I was doing an M20 turbo. I'd buy TCD's log manifold - easily the strongest/best out there.

they are cheap (er than a full manifold) easier to install and can make decent power, as the e30 manifold isnt too bad stock (facelift has bigger ports)

^^ TCD ftw...12secs and 400 ft lb of torque..badass

why spend large $$ when you can make or get one made up?

shore the thing I made doesnt look the prettiest,but its working fine at this stage of the 3.5L turbo build.

Also lookup 666fabrication.com for sum great looking bits that look and perform the part

post-575-1179301628_thumb.jpg

post-575-1179301657_thumb.jpg

pics don't work.

I made mine for $60. As long as you have a welder, grinder and hacksaw you should be sweet.

Posted Image

You can get them made up as well, I'd imagine a 6cyl one would cost anywhere from $500 upwards.

Of course you could always get an adapter made up too, or make on yourself.

Edited by Mike

looks good mike

tomcat whats your setup?

666 stuff is super mint

getting stuff made up is the most reasonable way to go..i might do one someday when i learn to weld! anyone wanna run welding lessons? steve n i keen

Pics would be helpfull wouldnt they.

Nice work Mike,and a very tidy budget.

The setup i'm running is 'make it as you go' and 'sh*t that looks good/bout right' system

I dont see the need to spend more than nessecary to get the desired result.but i do admit that a cracked echaust manifold would put a dampner on my day.TCD $679us + postage make it 1000+ for us.I spent about 55-

coby cut sum 6 flanges,bought sum reducers(50-40mm,65-50mm) and 2 elbos (40,75).bolted the flanges on a old head that was laying around.cut pipes to the appropriate sizes and started pasting.basicaly it looks like a an expanding pipe with the turbo sitting and the front of cylinder 1.I'm no expert on welding but ive run the car with every thing attached and dont have leaks or other unforseen issues.

It does help having a small workshop at work.

I'll post sum pics of progress at sum stage.

sure i can show you how to weld,its not difficult

Isn't the 666 mani LHD only?

Being top mounted turbo manifolds I'm picking that they can also be used in the RHD cars.

but i would ask to save on the egg factor.

pics loaded up ok.??dont know any more on that.

if you want pics of my beaten up e28 sporting new opional extras leave me your email

please! angus@bimmersport.co.nz

please! angus@bimmersport.co.nz

likewise

andrew@bimmersport.co.nz

and the verdict is..........?

your input would and is appreciated.difficult to change the setup as i'm nearing ecu stage.but still appreciated

and the verdict is..........?

your input would and is appreciated.difficult to change the setup as i'm nearing ecu stage.but still appreciated

pics please durilias_b@paradise.net.nz

Super good work on the homemade job mike

Next time you do a set you should get somebody to do you a cad design of it for a few beers or something , then we could buy the plans from you so we could have them made up.

yep, be carefull guys, most of those ebay manifolds (including 'manifold adapter') will not work in our cars, because we have steering wheel on the right side (no pun intended)...

if you wanna see my custom build manifold, go to e30tech forums, "FI intake and exhaust" section and there's this thread there called 'mops' manifold build....' plenty of step by step pics :)