Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Audi Sport Experience - experience + pics

Right, so a few weeks ago I got the invitation to attend one of the four sessions available in Welly. I booked a couple of places for myself and the missus. She already said that she's not driving.

Well, fine by me!!!

On the day, we were actually the last when we arrived at 8.25 am in the Brewery. Gosh, people are keen or what.

After a presentation about the cars and prices ($250k for the S8!!), we went outside to jump on the first car. Oh, there are basically 2 S3s and one each of 3.2 TT, S4, S6, S8 RS4 and Q7.

I tried the TT first, the S-tronic is amazing. The difference between slotting the transmission into D and S was very noticeable. I kept going from 30-60kph alongside Jervois Quay just to feel the response from the transmission.

BTW, the route was from the Brewery to Martinborough and back. There are several stops along the way to swap drivers and cars. We had to keep the order of the cars so would be easier when changing cars. So it goes driver swap, car swap, driver swap and so on. The front car was piloted by Audi NZ's GM and the walkie-talkie guy. The GM set the pace, and it was a good pace. And he was a good driver too.

Did I mention that the missus didn't want to drive? Oh yeah.....

Next, the S3. After 3+ years using auto I have to start shifting again :-(. Had to learn quickly as the S4 at the front had disappeared!!! Got caught in the wrong gear a couple of times while climbing the Rimutakas, and thinking 'doh, wrong gear!'. The S4 did a few of the 'slowed right down then quickly took off after the road in the front cleared' manouevres which annoyed a Mazda 6 behind me. Yeah, eat your heart out Jappa.

Got the S4 just after the bridge at the bottom of the hill. It was fine, fast, nothing memorable though ....

After morning tea at Martinborough, on the way back to Welly, I got the S6. Very impressed, very capable. This example was an Avant, amazing that it was like sitting in your living room while blasting through the countryside.

Just before the climb back on the Rimutakas the S8 was mine. Hmmm, I had high expectations, but sadly the S8 is more an autobahn cruiser than a hill climber. I had the suspension set to 'Dynamic' and still had to work very hard taking the car through the curves etc. I was trying to keep up with the RS4 in the front, and failed miserably.

The S6 and S8 share the same 5.2 V10 engine from Lambo Gallardo(?). The sound ohhhh droooooling .....

At Upper Hutt I got the RS4. After the first second of accelerating, I knew that this is the one I want!!!!! It felt amazing, the soundtrack was much much better than anything else (except F1 and A1 GP cars of course). I got this all the way to Welly. Deliberately got myself stuck on traffic lights so I could roll the window down and blip the throttle (juvenile). Ohhhhhh .... the sound!!

Conclusion: I want the RS4, but since the missus can't drive manual I have to settle with the S6. My advice, don't get the S8 unless you're planning to do 255kph most of the time. Oh BTW, I can't afford any of these cars anyway, so I'll keep dreaming :-)

Here are the cockpit pictures. There are lots of RS4 pics as well :-)

Audis

Sample

Posted Image

That sounds like a bloody good way to spend a day

Edited by Grant

That sounds like a bloody good way to spend a day

+ 1

Nice write up

I hope that bloke from Jeff Grey's is watching ;)

This topic came up when chatting to Pat Connelly, the GM of Team European, who is ex Shelly.

The only manufacturer that doesn't do this kind of thing is BMW. Merc takes their customers to Boomrock. And I think someone here wrote about Merc sponsored driver's day at Chch' racetrack?

This topic came up when chatting to Pat Connelly, the GM of Team European, who is ex Shelly.

The only manufacturer that doesn't do this kind of thing is BMW. Merc takes their customers to Boomrock. And I think someone here wrote about Merc sponsored driver's day at Chch' racetrack?

Yes, Mercedes dealerships run AMG track days for owners and potential buyers.

The one I hear is amazing is Porsche driver training in Aus, where you are thrown the keys for cars which haven't even been run in and told to take them to their limits on the track. :P