Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zwilling

Water leak

Guest Zwilling

HELP, i'm getting water on the passenger side floor and I can't find the source of the leak. I've pulled out bung under the carpet but after it rains the carpet foam is retaining alot of water. It's definately rain water and I don't have a sunroof and I can't see any rust or obvious holes in the firewall???

It's not coming through the door panels at all is it?

I have not had this problem on my Bimmer, but did have it on a previous car. Water was getting inside the doors and leaking into the car (and not draining out the bottom of the door).

Cheers

Guest Zwilling

I've not been able to trace the leak. The panels are dry and the seals around the windows and door aren't cracked.

I looked through the forums on the us bimmersport site for the same problem. There were a a few entries there involving gutters, firewalls, and blocked drainpipes but the descriptions of where to find them doesn't seem to apply to my model, argh!

Right now i'm managing by propping up the foam off the floor using wood strips so that the water drains out through the bung hole instead of soaking into the carpet, not exactly a prof. job but if it's not fixed the carpet will rot :(

Guest Zwilling

All I can say is it's definately rain water. Next trick will have to be ripping out the carpet and pouring water over it until I can spot the source.

Uh, what's happening there in jville??

Edited by Zwilling

Guest Zwilling

Problem solved.

Lifted up the carpet completely and followed the rust trail to a pinhole in the firewall right where the wheel arch meets the wall below the glovebox. A little bit of rust was the culprit, my first piece of rust :wub:

Anyways, removed the glovebox and used the good old sellys to plug the gap for now. Lifted out the seat to dry the foam, what a mission.