Sign in to follow this  
keen

e30 front suspension

My daughters car has failed a warrant on the lower suspension arm pivot being worn, on both sides left and right.Can you get new joints? and is it an easy job to replace them? what sort of cost is involved? Or do you need a complete new arm?how much for those? or would a second hand one be OK. what sort of money here. This is for a fl e30.

I'm assuming its the inner ball joint that your talking about? If so, the ball joints can be replaced but you will need access to a press. Should point out that they do have to be installed in the right direction.

Less hassle to get new arms with new ball joints all round but does cost a bit more. I think I paid around $30 for an inner ball joint? No idea on what new arms cost.

You wont need a press if you decide to change the whole arms, just a gear puller or something to get the bushings off. Can also be a PITA to put the things back on.

Edited by Mike

My daughters car has failed a warrant on the lower suspension arm pivot being worn, on both sides left and right.Can you get new joints? and is it an easy job to replace them? what sort of cost is involved? Or do you need a complete new arm?how much for those? or would a second hand one be OK. what sort of money here. This is for a fl e30.

I am assuming you mean the inner ball joints? if so then from my experience the best option is to replace the whole control arm. New control arms are approx $100 each and include both inner and outer ball joints. Reason - the outer joints will need replacing soon anyway, there is too much messing around just to get a ball joint pressed in.

Now while you're there you'll have to replace the control arm bushes too because unless you are very careful when you remove the control arm you'll damage the bush, and the rule is replace all rubber parts when you get the opportunity.

Summary:

Control arm x 2 - $200

bush x 2 - $100

Labour - FREE (do it yourself)

Total - $300

Thanks for that guys it is the outer joint that has failed. Does that mean that the inner should be done as well or is that not necessary?And should the large rubber one at the inner end also be replaced?

in an ideal world you would replace everything but you can get away with just replaceing the outer joint. Its the large rubber ones that make the job a pain

I just replaced the ones out of my facelift 320i race car, they passed a warrant check no problems and only came out because they're being swapped for urethane. Will post a pic next time im up in Auckland if your interested.

i just bought 2 complete control arms for less than $80 ea incl gst, so the best bet would be to replace the whole arms.

I rang BM Warehouse and they have sent overnight the two outer ball joints new for $58 plus gst so will get the old ones pressed out and the new ones fitted. I think that I can do this so will keep you posted.If anyone else has done this I would be grateful for any advise and pitfalls I might fall into. Or pictures that you know of that might help.

the ball joints may be directional, i can't remember if the outers are. Easy enough to check though. Also, take the boots off before you press them in. You'll probably tear them otherwise. Just unbolt the lollipop arms that hold the bushings, easiest way to deal with those. Lastly, you may have some trouble removing the inner joints from the subframe, BFH should help here.

Well got down into the pit jacked up the car blocked it up under the chassis undid the 2 bolts at the rubber bushing end then removed the nut and washer from the antiroll bar lifted the bonnet and reached down with extension handles and removed the nut holding the arm to the chassis then used a tool for removing tapered joints (fork like) and the hole suspension arm dropped off no big deal there.Now I will get an engineer to press the new outer joints in and then refit the whole arm.Not a big job as I had thought.I got the arm out in under 1/2 an hour :)

good to hear, you made the whole job so much easier by not stuffing around with the control arm bushing, those things are nasty

Well what do you know the rubber bushings have got cracks in them so they are to be replaced to Ive got the local garage to press them off and the rubber bushings also and he can press the new ones on.I have thought about shouting myself a "press" but have not had the need for one when the garage does it for me at no cost, but still have to wait in line for them.I could have had it done by now, not to hard a job and could be fitting them on the car today.

Mike you were correct in saying that the balls were directional and that was really important if they had been put in and not facing the right way they would have been damaged very quickly and been rendered useless in a very short time.It is also worth noting that the reaction bushes (the rubber ones) also need to be put in the correct way.