Sign in to follow this  
EeK

...drug testing...

Drug tests starting for drivers

By JAMES GARDINER

Drug testing of drivers will start next week with specially trained police stationed at drink-driving checkpoints.

The testing will initially be voluntary, but police are counting on the overconfidence or irrationality of drug users for compliance.

Drivers who pass the alcohol breath test but are thought to be impaired will be asked to undergo a series of tests including walking a straight line, standing on one leg, holding their heads back and touching their noses, and closing their eyes and estimating when 30 seconds have elapsed.

:huh:

i love that they're counting on people who they decide are probably "impaired" won't be able to make rational decisions... they do this in Britain where apparently "drivers were often keen to perform the tests because they had seen them on television "and they want to have a go". "

And so they should too.

Anyone who is impaired in anyway from concentrating 100% on driving are nothing but a danger to themselves and other motorists.

I know that some people think that they are better drivers when they are stoned, but this is just garbage.

Cheers

From NORML President Chris Fowlie, who believes testing will unfairly target cannibus users:

"This is not about safety," Mr Fowlie said. "Does the moderate use of cannabis cause impairment? The research says it doesn't. In fact it can make you a safer driver because you are less likely to take risks."

Doesn't it make your reaction time slower? How would that make you a safer driver?

Doesn't it make your reaction time slower? How would that make you a safer driver?

Exactly

Want to make roads more safe? arse kickings for bumper riders I say :D

Even today driving to work I had a skyline so close that in the rear mirrior I couldnt see any of the front of his car, if I had to stop in a medium mannor, by the time his reaction time was over, he would have already hit, no chance to actually apply the brakes. :angry:

Driver training schools should be manditory for all new drivers or something. How does germany get away with good drivers?

was talking about this the other day too......the driving age should be changed to 18....too many young retards who cant drive (or spell either) learn to drive and drive badly and stick with those habits for the rest of their lives

the $100 odd fee for sitting your license should be used for a driver training day ($65 at taupo im sure its affordable) and unlicensed drivers punished more severely.....i just been into town and had 3 near crashes because these retards dont look dont indicate dont think about what the hell they doing on the road....speed isnt killing people on NZ roads, NZ drivers are killing on NZ roads

Guest Spargo

**disclaimer, i don't do illegal drugs**

I'm concerned as to what it will actually pick up. Will a test show that you have a smoke of the sticky green 4-5weeks ago? Will it show that you took a tab of E at a gig a couple of weeks ago?

Even if its still in your system, it wouldn't affect your drving at all at that point, so will you be charged under the misuse of drugs act?

I have tried quite a few legal alternatives, will they show? Will that be noted on my record? Will i get a fone call when they invariably become illegal?

For the same reason i refuse the 2nd breath test without a lwayer present, i will be refusing the drug test, without being arrested regardless. This is police power gone too far.

The only drug related smahes are the ones that kill many people, and are smeared all over the front page of the herald. The sad fact is, that these crashes were going to happen anyway, a drug testing checkpoint wouldnt have picked them up, they never go though checkpoints.

**disclaimer, i don't do illegal drugs**

I'm concerned as to what it will actually pick up. Will a test show that you have a smoke of the sticky green 4-5weeks ago? Will it show that you took a tab of E at a gig a couple of weeks ago?

Even if its still in your system, it wouldn't affect your drving at all at that point, so will you be charged under the misuse of drugs act?

I have tried quite a few legal alternatives, will they show? Will that be noted on my record? Will i get a fone call when they invariably become illegal?

For the same reason i refuse the 2nd breath test without a lwayer present, i will be refusing the drug test, without being arrested regardless. This is police power gone too far.

The only drug related smahes are the ones that kill many people, and are smeared all over the front page of the herald. The sad fact is, that these crashes were going to happen anyway, a drug testing checkpoint wouldnt have picked them up, they never go though checkpoints.

well said man, well said

where are they planning on setting up these drug points? I mean, not many drug users seem to be driving around town when they are smashed... they seem to go from home to the shops to home or a mates place or somthing...

home to shops home to shops home to shops home to petrol station when shops close home to 24 hr foodtown that they just remembered was around home back out to car when they forget what they just went out for living room to kitchen living room to kitchen living room to kitchen kitchen to other fridge in garage fridge to kitchen.....

and so on

Guest Zwilling

Driver training schools should be manditory for all new drivers or something. How does germany get away with good drivers?

They've been doing for years what NZ is trying to institute. Learners are required to undergo 6-10 sessions (depending on state I think) at a total cost of €1000 I believe. Tests include driving on autobahns at speed aswell esp. if you're in the southern states.

From NORML President Chris Fowlie, who believes testing will unfairly target cannibus users

It's like an admission of guilt that one.

Guest Spargo

Quality! It definitely is!

Ze Germans are ze best drivers because you have to be 19-21 before you get a licence. At 19 now, I KNOW i'm far more mature on the road than i was at 15. Example. I has 2 crashes when i was 15, one my fault, the other not, both low speed. Experience has taught me that i'll never ever make those mistakes again. I've now been driving for nearly 5 years, and haven't had crash in 4.

Guest Zwilling

The other thing with european drivers - and I know this is true for England and some states in Germany - car insurance is compulsory and it's heavily rated by engine capacity and whether a turbo/charger is present.

However, zie germans can drink legally from the age of 16. So, you can drink before you can drive, unlike us where we can drive before we can drink. Goes without saying that it's better to learn to be safe with alcohol before you learn about cars...anyone???

Guest Spargo

Look at the Italians. Wine with your morning tea is fine at age 8 or so. Their society has little to no alocholics, but they can't drive for peanuts!

Ze Germans are ze best drivers because you have to be 19-21 before you get a licence. At 19 now, I KNOW i'm far more mature on the road than i was at 15. Example. I has 2 crashes when i was 15, one my fault, the other not, both low speed. Experience has taught me that i'll never ever make those mistakes again. I've now been driving for nearly 5 years, and haven't had crash in 4.

if that was true here I wouldnt have got rear ended, however most of the people that tail gate are older than 19, usually that 18-25 bracket. But then again, I'd feel much more comfortable with them doing it if they were:

A) actually able to drive to a high standard (track time or sometihng similar)

B) not out driving the limitations of their car

C) not out driving the limitations of their car in the current weather

Just a matter of trying to kerb boy racer syndrome and get them to behave.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of accidents are caused by someone outdriving their cars ability.

Guest Zwilling

Likely causes off crashes??? Anyone one to hazard a guess???

Most have gotta be distractions such as:

A) Adjusting stereo, ie, replacing medium

B) Cellphones

C) Spilling drink/food

D) Putting on make-up

E) Being distracted by a beautiful woman wearing very little clothing (My mate drove up a kerb and smashed into a power pole because he was gaping at a girlie)

F) Rubbernecking

Guest Andrew

Thats the most stupid thing I've heard in a while. Sure get the impaired drivers off the road. God stoned drivers don't drive better - all they can think about is food and going to sleep.

I don't do drugs. I haven't done drugs...

today *wild laugh*

(Anyone else like Bill Hicks?)

Guest Speedye30

What the cops are saying

Now, the figures they quote seem very exagerrated.

There is little recent research into drug use and driving in New Zealand

Is it our cops looking at their UK counterparts and saying "oh that looks like a good idea, lets do that"?

"We will be working with partner agencies and General Practitioners to gauge the most effective way to monitor and deter people from driving while under the influence of drugs. We do not yet have a clear picture of the extent of the issue in New Zealand but it is likely that our figures mirror world trends which indicate that there are also persistent links between criminal behaviour, drug use and traffic offences," said Superintendent Fitzgerald.

I will be very interested to see the conclusions made once the pilot programme is complete.

I also want to point out you guys' fixation on weed. The programme is there to pick up on use of any drugs amongst drivers.

A little more reading...

An expert's 2 cents...

Edited by Speedye30

Trained officers would be 95 per cent accurate in determining if people were on drugs.

sucks to be in the other 5%!

Likely causes off crashes??? Anyone one to hazard a guess???

Most have gotta be distractions such as:

A) Adjusting stereo, ie, replacing medium

B) Cellphones

C) Spilling drink/food

D) Putting on make-up

E) Being distracted by a beautiful woman wearing very little clothing (My mate drove up a kerb and smashed into a power pole because he was gaping at a girlie)

F) Rubbernecking

dude you forgot

g) slapping a phat westside at some G on da street

h) slapping a phat eastside at some G on da street

i) slapping a phat 'generic handsign' at some 'person' on da street