Sign in to follow this  
crshbndct

stock ecu limits?

been reading about guys overseas who turbo their m20's on stock ecu's, and the main mods seem to be better head bolts, 19lb injectors, m30 afm, and an fmu and rrfpr.

with this sort of set-up, what kind of boost levels are attainable? how good is the standard ecu at compensating for boost? assuming that i was going to turbo the m20b25, what type of boost levels can be used with stock ecu and the rest of these bits? i saw one guy who is running 14psi, in the states and he still passes emmisions control, which would suggest that the car is running pretty sweet with standard ecu.

i am thinking about doing a turbo setup on my car, nothing over the top just a bit of boost to get about 200whp, and if i can get by with a standard ecu, that would be choice.

cheers guys

Get a link mate, will save alot of headaches and heartaches, and it will make more power and be more drivable.

You can do it that way but there is a lot of mucking round and experimenting. I looked at doing my setup this way and by the time you get all the bits your halfway to an full ecu.

If you are pretty keen to do it without the stock ecu I'd look into copying an aftermarket kit such as TCD's. see how much boost they are running and what supporting mods are required. Maybe look into buying a turbo chip.

Or buy a complete kit for a little over $5000NZ.

Other reason to get an aftermarket ecu early on is that power is dam addictive. 200whp wont kep you happy for long. This way you wont be limited by the stock ecu. I was boosting round on mild boost for 2 months till I blew the HG. Its already being fixed but with more power in mind.

Edited by Mike

About 7-10psi is the max without serisouly f**king around with sh*t on the stock ECU. Dont expect miracles on the stock ecu though, there are a few little tricks like disconnecting the TPS which gets you a few degrees retard across the map.

About 7-10psi is the max without serisouly f**king around with sh*t on the stock ECU. Dont expect miracles on the stock ecu though, there are a few little tricks like disconnecting the TPS which gets you a few degrees retard across the map.

well, depends how much you know about it and what you are prepared to do...

If I was building turbo setup on cheap, i would retain stock ecu, and get cheapest possibly ecu (maybe something like old, fuel only megasquirt), to drive extra set of injector(s), and i would spray a mixture of fuel and toulene, and keep the turbine size on the large side, to minimize egt's and get a LC-1 windeband to monitor afr's.... with such setup you can even get away with stock 10:1 compression... for reaonably low boost... like 10 psi. possibly 12 ? but at those levels i would intercool and probably water/meth injection :)

There is no Reason you can't get a Romulator and Run lsome sort of ive Editing software to tune the stock ECU.

http://www.tuckerautopartsonline.com/tuning/romulator.htm

This would only hardly scratch the surface. But i know of a number of Early Rom based ECU that can be sucessfully emulated and tuned with this

But you would need to be dedicated to learn it, and a wideband would almost be a must.

I have a stock ECU for my car (E30 320 FL) which was originally Auto, with cat and ozy sensor, however it has now been converted to manual, cat removed along with sensor, would there be any benefit in reprogramming the ECU for these changes and if so is it something that a BMW agent can do.

tHANKS

Mark

There is no Reason you can't get a Romulator and Run lsome sort of ive Editing software to tune the stock ECU.

http://www.tuckerautopartsonline.com/tuning/romulator.htm

This would only hardly scratch the surface. But i know of a number of Early Rom based ECU that can be sucessfully emulated and tuned with this

But you would need to be dedicated to learn it, and a wideband would almost be a must.

IMHO, if you want to do tuning on the road you do need wideband. period.

yes, all though tuning with this is possible, it would be very hard, and not user friendly. you would need to know like ecu rom map and offsets so you know in which bytes what info is stored.

There's this software made by atlantis software called "motronic editor' i think.... which would be worth the money if you are keen to do it, but then again, it is not 'on the fly tuning', you would need to know exacly what you want done before tuning.

stock ecu in old m20-series has a TPS that is a switch not a potentiometer so I wouldn't even bother unless your engine is disposable. spark timing probably too advance for FI also.

hey mops, i'm megasquirting my '85 e30 323i what did you do to lock up the centrifugal advance or did you not spark it with the MS?? or have a post-face-lift engine??

hey mops, i'm megasquirting my '85 e30 323i what did you do to lock up the centrifugal advance or did you not spark it with the MS?? or have a post-face-lift engine??

i retrofitted 60-2 crank damper

the front one?? or the one in the bellhousing??

This thread is almost 2yrs old since last post

and still relevant.