Sign in to follow this  
zorko101

E36 323 Manual Conversion

Hey all.

I'm a newbe to this. Wonder if someone can provide some information for me please on what exactly i need to do a manual conversion. I realise the gearbox, flywheel, master cylinder, pedal box and so forth. (all the major stuff)

I'm curious to know if i need anything to plug into the ecu. Just in case the management system is set up specifically for the auto transmission.

All help would be appreciated. Thanks

The photo below is my ride

post-2114-1183189924_thumb.jpg

i looked at the same thing for my e36 320 was gona cost me too much so decided not to go on with the project however i am sure that u will need to find a manual diff as the computer plugs into your diff

There's a company just out of Hamilton called "SD European", they do a direct swap for about $3500. Make sure you change out the differential if you plan to drive above 80kmh a lot though, but the stock auto diff means for some pretty quick acceleration.

i had my 325ci done , cost $500 larbour incl swapping diff , no majours with ecu , just thinks its in nuteral all the time , car runs fine . i used a m50 box etc , diff from a manual e36 325i etc . and a flywheel,clutch from e30 320i etc (lighter flywheel)...

you can use gearbox kit from a 320i e36 , just need to use front part of manual driveshaft fitted to the rear of original shaft .

i had all the parts from a donar damaged car i stripped , but swapped flywheel ,clutch , starter out for e30 one and brought a diff from the wrecker $400 .

If yours is a 5speed auto your diff ratio should be fine(has nothing to do with the computer).

I have done this, there are quite a lot of small bits and pieces you need.

If yours is a 5speed auto your diff ratio should be fine(has nothing to do with the computer).

I have done this, there are quite a lot of small bits and pieces you need.

all the auto's incl 4 and 5spd ones have top gear as being a overdrive as the 5spd manual boxes have top gear being one to one , so think about driving around in 4th in 5spd auto . thats the revs it will be doing unless you get the matching diff , should be around 3.07 to 3.46 depending on what you like , i had a 3.73 with the auto i think .

now i have a 3.25 and it revs a bit harder than it did with the auto , but thats ok , more fun .

My auto diff from the 328 was 3.07, manual ratio for the car is 2.97. So close its not worth changing.

I run a 3.64 lsd but thats a different story.