Sign in to follow this  
Viking

GRRRRRRR

:angry: Isnt it charming when your car gets under valued by an assessor, and then if you want the insurance job done by someone half decent you have to pay everything on top of the assessed cost, even tho you were stationary when you got hit from behind by another car. :angry::angry:

Who has had really good experiences with their insurance company and claims? I think I might swap....

:lol: Funny how everyone guesses....

Oh well, after this they have just lost the insurance on 5 cars and a house, their loss I guess

It pays to be critical on the job done by their approved repairer.

I once got State to repaint my bonnet again (Rover 600) as I found some small (1mm) craters. That's a year after the original job was done.

Go through the car after the job was done, and pick anything that isn't right, no matter how small it is.

Complain, complain, complain.

It's very satisfying when you can get them at their own game.

Ahh well, its not too bad, I gave all the details to another paint shop who said "Give us all the details and we'll sort it". Then I just have to book my car back in and they will cut all the marks out of my paint which has been there since I got it for $150 :D

dats got to suck.

when i got rear ended. all i just had2do is fill out a form and i didnt have to lift a finger. it was sweet.

im with lumley general insurance

Guest Jonty

Here's a tip some companies namely AA Insurance have an agreed value policy so if your car is written off they will pay the amount insured regardless of market value, excellent if you have a mint bimmer. As for repairs they are initially assessed by the repairer who sends his recommendation and digi photos to the claims centre and the repairs are authorised from there. All insurance companies have their preferred repairers that is a fact of life but some are often more flexible than others particularly when you have a car which deserves superior attention such as a BMW. It pays to ask the what if questions at the time of application.

Most insurance companies offer an 'Agreed Value' option, including State Insurance (or at least they used to). It often involves you having to pay for an independent vehicle valuation for your car (registered car valuers charge around $50-100). You may also have to update the valuation every now and then as the car depreciates, and pay a bit more in premiums too.

Its arguable whether you end up being better off with agreed value cover, as in some cases they end up repairing your car when it should be written off because it is slightly more economical to do so.

(thus ends the lesson so far) :D

Guest Jonty

Yep point taken, except when your car is nicked. LMVD Retail valuation all that is required at AA and that is only if you disagree with the figure that their system gives you based on the year/mileage etc, Taken from what is called the redbook - "dealer retail guide" or something . So still in some ways a market value except where your vehicle is a bit better than average and an assessor may not be able to tell this if your car is burnt out.

Some insurance companies look for reasons not to pay claims others look for reasons to pay in my experience, check out the ultra exciting consumer mag tests, to give you a few indicators as to which insurance co's you might want to check out.

Yea, I'll definately be swapping, if they are this much of a problem over something minor like this I shudder to think how bad they will act when I try to insure a supercharged S50B32 in a E30

Jonty I pretty much agree with everything you just posted, esp. the part about the car being nicked.

Viking- Unless you are a health professional, I would strongly recommend you look at AMI as the consumer mags rate it as one of the best motor & domestic insurers around (no I don't work for AMI).

For starters you can choose your panel beater!

Yea, when I was talking with Andrews & Gilmore (place BMW send all their work to) they listed AMI in their list of people they work with. When I got the quote an old guy was comming out in his E46 going "This is the 3rd time I've come here, these guys are great!" :lol:

:angry: It gets better, the assessor now wants to speak to me and has gone on holiday so I cant contact him. He claims he has "had problems" with where I want to take it :angry: Over a month with a dented car now :(

try using a broker, they can get access to some policies that you cant - im insured thru crombie lockwood who got our policy thru NZI, Im 21, driving a $20K car, I have had 2 claims prior and pay $1000 premiums. (admitadly my excess is $3000, but they put that up after my 2nd claim, it'll come back down next year apparently - that dont matter, im not planning on claiming on anything thats my fault! unless its super huge wrapped around a pole sort of styles, which seems to be the way im heading, but if i do it will be spectacular, and i doubt ill live - cos ill probably be doing some high speed drifting - in my diseasel)

But on the whole they have looked after us, and i have no problem reccomending them - im pretty sure they are a national company! :D

Guest Andrew

Yea, I'll definately be swapping, if they are this much of a problem over something minor like this I shudder to think how bad they will act when I try to insure a supercharged S50B32 in a E30

State insured shat a brick when I called them up about my 325 project! I have to go to National Autoclub now.

It looks like I'm not going to be able to get a decent repair job (BMW approved place doing the work), I'm I completely sunk and have to pay the difference?

They assessed it at about $500 worth of damage, BMW approved place quoted $922.10. I've been told if I want it done for the more expensive cost, I have to pay the difference. Opinions? Do I have any leg whatsoever to stand on? (keeping in mind I was not moving when I was hit and completely in the clear legally).

Ask your insurer about the price difference. Suggest that their "approved repairer" will be doing a bad job because they only charge $500 while other places charge $900+. Ask whether their approved repairer is a bunch of low-lifes who will be using unsuitable/stolen parts etc. They can't get angry with you (well I hope) as you are the customer.

It'll get fun as your insurer will scramble trying to justify their actions.

Last time I made so much fuss over a replacement windscreen (BMW and Oz/NZ made), someone from State's head-office in Auckland (or something like that) talked to me for 1 hr trying to convince me that a non-BMW windscreen is as good as BMW one.

Guest Jonty

If you were hit by an insured person state will probably bill their insurance company anyway once liability is established, unless they belong to what they call the "knock for Knock agreement" where both insurers agree to pay for their own customers damage

If they were not insured state will try to recover costs from them through the courts. So State should not be concerned to much with the cost of repairs provided they are reasonable, The only advise I can give you is to keep on at them. Ask to speak to the Claims Manager etc explain you situation. In my veiw this is a very reasonable request to have the vehicle repaired at the manufacturers approved repairer, they wouldn't send a Sony TV to Phillips for repairs.

Read your policy document and determine if you have any rights to select your repairer, Good Luck and if all else fails you can write to the insurance ombudsman if you feel your concern or complaint has not been dealt with appropriately. The insurance companies hate that, costs them heaps of Bling.

Latest progress is its going in to the paint shop BMW Christchurch recommend, and the assessor is going to have a look at it. Atleast the paint shop can explain everything to them.

Dropped the car off thismorning, finally, my baby will be back to normal by sometime on wednesday, should look even better since its getting a full cut & polish. :beer:

Guest Andrew

And it comes to an end, its going to a Mercedes repair shop who does a good job at the end of the month :D

Thats awesome - post some pics of that cosmos beast when its done