Sign in to follow this  
OSiRiS

Changing E36 steering wheel?

Anyone got a tutorial on changing E36 steering wheel?

Tried searching but the search engine keeps returning alot of unrelated posts...

I've got a boss kit and a brand new Momo wheel waiting to go on ;)

Does your standard wheel not have an airbag??

If it doesnt, just flick the emblem/horn cover out with a screwdriver, turn the wheel full lock to the left stick a wheel brace or similar on the large nylock nut hold the steering wheel to the steering column, unscrew the nut (Counter Clockwise) once the nut is off and the horn has been unplugged just pull the thing off. May take a bit of brute strength but i am sure you can handle that.

PS: watch your nose/chin/eyes when pulling the wheel off, they sometimes tend to come off all of a sudden and if you are not prepared you will whack yourself in the face!! :D

Edit: If you have an airbag, or are not sure whether it has one or not use this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~frankie66/cars/...eringwheel.html

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Jake The Muss

Cheers bro. Thought that was the way -yea I got no airbag on mine.

Yea removed plenty of steering wheels on the Mitsis, just making sure the Germans were thinking on the same lines as the Japanese when it came to steering these boats ;)

I just purchased a Momo boss kit off Trademe, was told it was off a 3 series BMW and was told it was universal between E36 and E30 but obviously not, after trying it on. So it's no use for me. Anyone want it? $75 is what I paid for it.

Looks like steering wheel will have to wait until I get the right boss kit.

Edited by OSiRiS