Sign in to follow this  
jochen

BMW nav systems - who wants one?

Got a ex-Japan E38 or E39 or E46 or X5 with nav?

I can get it going for you - $700 for Bimmersport members.

For cars from 09/1998 onwards

PM me if interested.

Jochen

To clarify: you must have an existing BMW Japanese nav system already installed, the $700 is for the computer + fitting and calibration and programming

Jochen

PM me if interested.

Jochen

Hi Jochen.

Just to clarify: What Mark unit are we talking here and does the $700 include a local map disc

Hi Jochen,

I have been doing mucho research on the net lately and it seems that u are the man who may be able to help me - I hope.

I live in the UAE and have recently purchased an E39 (1999 model) which is a Japanese import. The vehicle has Japanese Navigation installed but I have no idea what Mk it is. The head unit has the 4:3 display and the computer (which is mounted under the rear parcel shelf rather than in the left hand guard well) is labeled "DVD Navigation".

A Japanese Nav DVD was in the player when I got the car but I think the player is stuffed cos it just shows "DISC" followed by a bunch of Japanese characters when I select the nav. If I reload the disc I occasionally get the icons along the bottom of the screen before the Disc message comes up, so I think everything else is working Ok - the TV works fine.

Also the radio shows the Japanese frequencies - I have fitted a fx shifter but it doesn't seem to work very well.

My question - which is obvious - how can I get it all to work here in the UAE. I have the latest 2007 nav disk for the UAE. Can I just swap the head unit and the DVD reader for one from a UAE spec vehicle - will changing the head unit also change the radio frequency display (i was planning on finding a widescreen from a later model) or is there something else (radio module) that needs to be changed also.

Is the '99 E39 wiring compatible with the later Nav systems?

Any info/assistance/help would be greatly appreciated.

I gather from some of the posts I have read that u can supply a kit - would that be of any use to me?

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Paul Ashford

Hi Jochen,

I have been doing mucho research on the net lately and it seems that u are the man who may be able to help me - I hope.

Paul Ashford

Yep - read my emails to you. Totally possible. I've done cars in Malaysia and all through NZ. Nothing to stop doing one in the UAE.

PM me if interested.

Jochen

Hi Jochen

I am in Nelson NZ with a Jap import X3 needing Nav system to go can you help?VIN WBAP72040WB67220

Here are the details from back of stereo.

back of stereo

6512 6943445-02

132640 10

Czech republic

11-04

Navigation System BMWRMD101-03

Professional System A2C53085739

VD101941001934 BS000445

A2C53085739 BS0004451001934

Hi Jochen

I am in Nelson NZ with a Jap import X3 needing Nav system to go can you help?VIN WBAP72040WB67220

Here are the details from back of stereo.

back of stereo

6512 6943445-02

132640 10

Czech republic

11-04

Navigation System BMWRMD101-03

Professional System A2C53085739

VD101941001934 BS000445

A2C53085739 BS0004451001934

Refer to this link...

PM'd you

The X3 is the easiest and quickest to convert.You can reprogem the radio by hand. No band expander required. Press and hold select.with 1. s of turning on. then change fromjap.to oceania mode.The nav needs to be replaced and it MUST be replaced with a Mk4 nav. Cost around 1200 to 1500 depending on where you get the nav and who does the work. Very diy.Jocheb (in switzerland)

hi jochen

i have just bought a E46 201 bma wich has tv n navigation n ph system.can you tell me how long will it take for you to the navi sysyem.

PM me if interested.

Jochen

My turn:

Jochen,

I have a UK import with Widescreen SatNav / TRaffic Master and Motorolla bluetooth (MKIV).

If I put a Nz DVD in the DVD slot - will that get me going on the NZ network?

Secondly - will GSM Motorolla bluetooth work also if I put a sim card in?

hi jochen

i have just bought a E46 201 bma wich has tv n navigation n ph system.can you tell me how long will it take for you to the navi sysyem.

I don't live in NZ any more. But the time to change the system to NZ takes about 2 to 3 hours once all the parts are available.

Depending on where you are in the country you can get it done by hotwire in Te Awamutu or ask hybrid in Auckland to help with a DIY.

Jochen

My turn:

Jochen,

I have a UK import with Widescreen SatNav / TRaffic Master and Motorolla bluetooth (MKIV).

If I put a Nz DVD in the DVD slot - will that get me going on the NZ network?

Secondly - will GSM Motorolla bluetooth work also if I put a sim card in?

Hi, UK system is identical to NZ.

So slide in the NZ map CD, and the nav will work in NZ

And plug in a NZ Vodafone SIM card, and the phone will work in NZ

Simple.

Oh: and unplug and throw away the UK traffic master, they cause trouble when they get old. It cannot work in NZ so can be unplugged and bypassed. Plugs are behind the CD changer in the boot.

Jochen

Hi, UK system is identical to NZ.

So slide in the NZ map CD, and the nav will work in NZ

Simple.

Oh: and unplug and throw away the UK traffic master, they cause trouble when they get old. It cannot work in NZ so can be unplugged and bypassed. Plugs are behind the CD changer in the boot.

Jochen

Thanks Jochen, do the inbuilt car phones from the UK work here also? I was told by JC they will not work work?

Thanks Jochen, do the inbuilt car phones from the UK work here also? I was told by JC they will not work work?

Jochen

apparently yes

The time taken to plug in a NZ SIM card into the phone and make a phone call is less than the time it takes to write you question on this forum.

Plug in the Vodafone SIM card and start calling.

Simple.

Jochen

Thanks Jochen - 1 last question:

If you have a 1999 E39 with 4:3 display and the MK1 setup, what do you have to do to have MK4 with a 16:9 display?

If you have a 1999 E39 with 4:3 display and the MK1 setup, what do you have to do to have MK4 with a 16:9 display?

Since Jochen hasn't yet seen:

My car is the same as yours but with NZ nav working - the first to be done.

Remove the Jap unit, reterminate required wiring to fit new plugs suiting the MK4, run one wire to reverse light for reverse signal. Fit Mk4, NZ map disc & play -easy.

16:9 monitor is a plug & play swap from 4:3 - I have one arriving very shortly for mine. You also, however need to replace the video (TV) module with a later dual version as your current unit is 4:3 only.

PM me if you want more details, I, like Jochen, have seen through lots of conversions in these cars around the country although him a few more than myself.

Grant

Sorry just seen - UK import. Similar will apply though - MK 1/2 units have different wiring plugs to Mk3/4 units, probably has reverse signal already too. From memory - I think there is a an adapter lead available to plug between old & new version units.

Edited by hotwire

i have researched thi a little myself too and i think a UK car will make the whole thing a much easier exercise.Look on ebay there are 16x 9 dispays there(A lithuanian guy seems to always have them!)Dont know any more than that .Someone also recently poted a thread where an americn guys shows some swaps on video!

So its the Asian ones that dont?

No. Asia is Japan and Singapore, and you cannot lump those two countries together.

BMWs ex Singapore, UK, Australia and South Africa, and the NZ-New BMWs, if fitted with Telephone, have GSM telephones fitted. Vodafone NZ operates the NZ GSM network, so all these cars will work in NZ.

Cars from Japan have a special Japanese-only telephone system fitted that only works in Japan.

So only cars ex-Japan have to have their telephone (and nav and radio) changed to work in NZ.

All other BMWs from all other countries work fine in NZ.

Jochen

Are you sure it is Mk1? Read the SW version

Changing Mk1 to Mk2/3/4 is quite a job! Totally different system....

But can be done...

Jochen