Sign in to follow this  
feelou

Bad press for the M3

Not sure how evo and CAR will rate the M3, but Autocar is one of the first to break with the tradition of 'BMW splaps Audi in the face at every new car release'.

Still not sure whether to trade the Audi for a new M3. What do you think?

Posted Image

The new car has been getting A LOT of bad press ... consensus is that it's not a great car ... just a good car.

I'd wait till the actual launch and test drive one yourself before making up your mind which you like.

But looking at the specs and the comparisons so far ... it isn't looking good for the M3... certain none of the previous generations have gotten such bad pre-launch press that's for sure.

Full article here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71863

Edited by M3_Power

The new car has been getting A LOT of bad press ... consensus is that it's not a great car ... just a good car.

I'd wait till the actual launch and test drive one yourself before making up your mind which you like.

But looking at the specs and the comparisons so far ... it isn't looking good for the M3... certain none of the previous generations have gotten such bad pre-launch press that's for sure.

Full article here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71863

Thanks - I hadn't had a chance to read the article.

I tend to agree with the direction of the verdict. I have no doubt that the BM is the sharpest car. But I'm not a good enough driver to enjoy it every day, especially not in the wet. I owned an E46 M3 in 2002, but sold it after scaring myself s***less a few times in the rain.

Shame really, as I think the M3 looks much better than the Audi.

Umm doesnt it basically say that the M3 is the more drivers car?

Because last time I checked it gives it ticks as being edgier and more track worthy..

Super cushy everyday driving ftw?!

Umm doesnt it basically say that the M3 is the more drivers car?

Because last time I checked it gives it ticks as being edgier and more track worthy..

Super cushy everyday driving ftw?!

DNZ - you might have more fun with an M3 on the track. But not as an everyday car.

If I had that kind of money for a track tool, I'd take an M3 over an RS4.

But the M3 isn't the best compromise for everyday use. I suspect the RS4 will be faster on one of our rough roads (where we're likely to drive every weekend).

This being said, 'cushy' doesn't really describe the RS4. Quite harsh I find.

Having driven both the E46 M3 and latest RS4, I'd have to say (cough cough) that the RS4 is probably the better car for everyday driving which, lets face it, is 99% of the time these days.

If you had the cash and an extra spot in the garage, you'd probably buy a CSL or Vantage V8 as your play car anyway?

My daily driver would be an E60 535d Touring if I had the cash and didn't go off road so much for work (hence the Territory).

Edited by StylesM5

I prefer the Audi styling.

Jock, I think you'll agree that the better of the e46 M3 and the RS4 isn't really a valid test for the current m3 vs RS4 as they could be totaly different cars (as the e36 was over the e30, the e46 over the e36).

I guess they pretty much said theyre both top notch cars and picking one over the other is more a matter of preference rather than wether its a 'better car' or not..

wow look at everyone in that thread getting angry at the magazines verdict and one another.

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

RS4 is the best sounding car on the road.

Quattroporte is, actually.

pitty the carbon fiber airbox looks so cheap and nasty (bad qaulity)

I will actually concur.

A guy somewhere out this way has one, everytime i see him when driving my bimmer he gives it nuts, like rev-limit nutz.

Sounds so sexy....

:wub:

Quattroporte is, actually.

x2