Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

newbee here

Hi - well sort of a newbee. Signed up back in December 06 to get some tips on a 540 i was looking at - and now i'm back having just picked up my Black 740i this afternoon. It a NZ new 1999, with aftermarket 20" rims. At the moment I can't ge the silly grin off my face - damn it's got some get up and go!

I'm an acknowledged car nut.

For the more sporting moments I have access to my wifes Red SLK230. Not as fast in a straight line but I know which can corner faster on the Rimutaka Hill...

740.bmp

Edited by jimbo

Welcome back mate,car looks great! bit of lowering and a clean front lip it will look amazing!

Nice ride, we used to have an 750i same shape with 18" wheels and that also had heaps of power and was really nice to drive.

nice choice.

make it sit a bit lower and that would look so pimp.

nice choice.

make it sit a bit lower and that would look so pimp.

I got a quote to have a few defects in the paint cleaned up and some small dents removed - this is the 1st priority. Then a personalised plate - although they may frown upon what i want - could be considered offensive by some conservitive types. Later I want to firm up the ride a bit so this may involve lower / higher rated springs and maybe new shocks. On the 20" wheels and 30 profile tyres it's a sporty but plush ride.

Just went for a ride up the Rimutaka Hill in the pouring rain, in sports mode. It was remarkably fast, although can run a little wide, and the back steps out a bit. I still have the grin on my face!

Well I've found out my 20" alloys are DTM Penta Mesh (or copies of it). Mag & Turbo estimated about $700 to replace each wheel so I'll get some prices to get them restored - the former owners parking seemed to involve hitting the curb (a lot).

The wheel in the photo is the least damaged (I cropped the curb damage out). Nice wheels! If the waether is warmish this weekend I'll paint the brakes red Bremno style - the plastic type paint in the kits from repco come up very nicely - they will show up nicely through these wheels.

post-1569-1186125366_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimbo