Sign in to follow this  
international

Is New Zealand Broadband Internet too EXPENSIVE?

Is New Zealand Broadband Internet too EXPENSIVE?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edit - Penry beat me to it.

Heres a timeline though. Makes interesting reading

http://www.wordworx.co.nz/KiwitelcoTimeline.htm

But to the 2nd comment Ollie made:

How slow ADSL1 is/was.... HUH??? The majority of NZ is still be getting ADSL1 speeds. You can only really benefit from faster connect rates due to ADSL2+ if you are close to your exchange. Hence cabinetisation.

EG. I am on ADSL2+ in both houses i stay in. One is 500m from the exchange - 15Mb connect rate. The other is 2661m from the SAME exchange, and gets 3Mb connect rates.

Xnet would be my ISP of choice also for that kind of package. Have recommended them to many friends, and everybody has been content with their service.

Edited by Pjay

Everyone thought Vodafone would come in and blow the market wide open. But they knew a sure thing when they saw it and simply put their prices very slightly under Telecoms in order to make the same sort of profits !

thats because, as fast as vodafone can unbundle exchanges, and offer better rates to customers on the red network, telecom puts up the cabinates, and effectivly rebundles the areas. why would vodafone offer the cheaper prices in the areas that have been unbundled..when they are soon no longer going to be able to offer them because they have to wholesale off telecom again. when sub loops are undbundled, and vodafone can put in their on DSLAMS etc into the cabinates...then the prices will come down

What in New Zealand isn't too expensive when your a poor uni student... haha

Is Xnet part of WorldxChange Communications? If so I'm on x-net and love how their plans work. We pay for a certain amount flat rate per month but if we go over our speed doesn't drop we just pay per GB (I think its GB). Its great! Very cheap too.

thats because, as fast as vodafone can unbundle exchanges, and offer better rates to customers on the red network, telecom puts up the cabinates, and effectivly rebundles the areas. why would vodafone offer the cheaper prices in the areas that have been unbundled..when they are soon no longer going to be able to offer them because they have to wholesale off telecom again. when sub loops are undbundled, and vodafone can put in their on DSLAMS etc into the cabinates...then the prices will come down

Excuse the ignorance, but why wouldnt Voda put their own cabinets up? why are they so adverse to proper investment? Why would they put kit into exchanges which are archaic any way?

Sorry I'm a mobile guy not a landline one :P

Excuse the ignorance, but why wouldnt Voda put their own cabinets up? why are they so adverse to proper investment? Why would they put kit into exchanges which are archaic any way?

Sorry I'm a mobile guy not a landline one :P

I guess its because telecom has the infrastructure to put the cabinets up. Even when Vodafone is installing equipment into exchanges.. its Chorus that does the work. Chorus does all the connections for Vodafone customers to the Vodafone network.

and telecom still own all the lines that connect up to the exchanges etc

Edited by 328imobbin

Telecom Cabinet upgrade - awesome step to screw governments decision of letting others use your network. Penry is right, I totally agree. Why would a mechanic let another mechanic just walk in and start using his tools? Get your own. Telstra did, kind of..

Edited by Chris C