Sign in to follow this  
Munts316i

revs

my 316 comes without a tacho (has a clock in its place) so the old owner put a cheap one in, the car goes fine, but it doesnt really rev...at all, according to the tacho. currently i can do 70ks in 4th at 2 grand, but the car really doesnt like to rev, it only comfortably goes to 4. is the setting wrong?or do 316's just not rev?

My M10 318 is the same. I don't bother going over 4000, as it doesn't sound too well (bloody 4cyl) and doesn't pull all that smooth above 4k.

Edited by E30_318i

get a honda.

9k redline :D

Guest Speedye30

Haha! You asked for it... Inline 6 is by far the best engine configuration, at least after v12... Anyone disagree??

Haha! You asked for it... Inline 6 is by far the best engine configuration, at least after v12... Anyone disagree??

no disagreement here.

70k's in fourth? ofcourse you were doing 2k rpm you'd barely be doing 5k in second gear.

by 70ks in 4th at 2k, i was meaning that it revs normally, just doesnt go high, at all and after my old car its a fair difference, ive never driven a 4 cylinder that rev'd so low and just wanted to know if it was normal.

I suspect that the Tacho is reading wrong, can you get it checked and callibrated anywhere?

I'm pretty sure that your 316i should rev to a fair bit higher than 4,000 rpm's

Cheers

Here are the specs for the E30 316i

Engine Data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Displacement 1596 cm3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of Cylinders 4

Max Power 102 bhp (75 kW) 5800 rpm

Max Torque 140 Nm (103 1b.ft) 4500 rpm

Compression Ratio 8.2:1

Firing Order 1 - 3 - 4 - 2

Oil pressure - at Idle 0.5 to 2.0 Bars

Oil pressure - running > 4 Bars

Valve Clearances Hydraulic Adjusters

Idle speed 800 +/- 40 rpm

CO% at 3000 rpm 0.7 +/- 0.5

Spark plug gap 0.8 mm

Spark plug type Bosch W8 DC

Capacities

Fuel Tank 64 Litres (14.1 gal)

Engine Oil 4.0 Litres

Cooling System 7.0 Litres

Manual transmission - ZF 1.2 Litres

Manual transmission - Getrag 1.0 to 1.5 Litres

Final drive 0.9 Litres

Misc.

Accelerator cable free play 1.0 mm

Min. rotor thickness (ventilated) - front 20 mm

Min. rotor thickness (solid) - front 10.7 mm

Min. rotor thickness - rear 8.0 mm

Handbrake shoe minimum thickness 1.5 mm

Handbrake lever travel 5 to 8 clicks