Sign in to follow this  
Ems

Lock-out

Hello, im new here and female. but don't hold that against me. I have reccently bought the best car ever however she seems to have a habit of locking me out.

It is a ruby-red 1988 318i and her name is ruby. She has a deadlock on her and then the central locking mechanism. Now, all was going swimingly until reccently when the deadlock would unlock but not the car. After much frustration and pleading with her to open her locks (oooh-eer!) she does, but not without a fight and the chance of the key snapping in the lock is greater everytime.

I now lock her through her boot, which is rather comical and i would like to fix her. I have had new keys cut and have sprayed crc in the barrel but all to no avail.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Does anybody have any solutions that are under $100?

Thankyou, from my boisterous car and me

xxxx :rolleyes:

by the way guys.. its a Pre-Fl car. (87)

Ahh, so you aer ruby's new owner? Good car you've bought there.

As to the lock thing, it go so bad on an e30 I had it ended up easier to change the lock barrel on that door and just have a separate key to operate the driver's door lock. All central locking will still work. It's a sad fact that eventually these things wear out.

It's a 20min job to swap out the lock barrels if you know how or can find someone who knows.

I've just had a similar problem except I had both the barrel and the motor fail, ie, you could only lock the door from the inside. I had to replace the barrel and the motor - sounds like you just have to replace the barrel which (unless you want to use two keys or replace all the door locks and iginiton barrel) means getting the specific barrel for your key from BMW...$300+ for the barrel.

Obviously you have central locking so bravo's suggestion replacing just the drivers barrel would be okay cause you could stick in an alarm that would activate the lock/unlock mechanism. Alarms can be more costly though, however, more user firendly and insurance discounts.

Edited by Carl

I've just had a similar problem except I had both the barrel and the motor fail, ie, you could only lock the door from the inside. I had to replace the barrel and the motor - sounds like you just have to replace the barrel which (unless you want to use two keys or replace all the door locks and iginiton barrel) means getting the specific barrel for your key from BMW...$300+ for the barrel.

Obviously you have central locking so bravo's suggestion replacing just the drivers barrel would be okay cause you could stick in an alarm that would activate the lock/unlock mechanism. Alarms can be more costly though, however, more user firendly and insurance discounts.

I dont think i have that problem but its weird cos when i turn on my cars ignition all the doors lock and when i turn it off they open, is that like a safety thing or something? Its annoying cos when someone wants to get in the car after i have started it i have to reach over and open the dam door for them!

That's a function of many aftermarket alarms (anithijack). Can be turned off. Dunno if it's a factory ption on e36's. Do you have an aftermarket alarm??

You wee beauties!

Am on the hunt now for a new barrel . . . in the mean time, i shall continue on the rear-entry

. . in the mean time, i shall continue on the rear-entry

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Sweet- female population might be all of 5 now! Welcome, good name by the way ;)

Cheers

Emma

Josh- get your mind out of the gutter!

Edited by Hi Tower

i shall continue on the rear-entry

We are all about that here at bimmersport

Hello, im new here and female. but don't hold that against me. I have reccently bought the best car ever however she seems to have a habit of locking me out.

It is a ruby-red 1988 318i and her name is ruby. She has a deadlock on her and then the central locking mechanism. Now, all was going swimingly until reccently when the deadlock would unlock but not the car. After much frustration and pleading with her to open her locks (oooh-eer!) she does, but not without a fight and the chance of the key snapping in the lock is greater everytime.

I now lock her through her boot, which is rather comical and i would like to fix her. I have had new keys cut and have sprayed crc in the barrel but all to no avail.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Does anybody have any solutions that are under $100?

Thankyou, from my boisterous car and me

xxxx :rolleyes:

Were the new keys you had cut copied from a worn original or were they computer cut from the key number stampe in the original key? If just copied from a worn key you end up with the same problem.

When fitting a replacement barrell you can get a locksmith to rekey the barrell to suit your key - thus retaining one key to operate the car.

Can supply a barrell & key if you require

Josh- get your mind out of the gutter!

What, just Josh? I'm allowed to keep mine there then! Cool.

I now lock her through her boot,

sup emz! its gus (hence the name)

go anal!

Hey Emm,

I has the same problem with my 325. Ended up having to replace the barrels, expensive $$$. But you could always get the Driver side & passenger side switched like posted earlier.

Would save you the $$$ of buying new parts or getting a new barrel cut to match your keys.

Laurence.

Ahem... cough cough.. gets out of boot and dusts self off...

I rang the lovely Ray from Bavarian motors last night and he will give me a new lock barrel and his buddy ernst will re-code the lock to fit my key for the grand sum of $50 and a box of chockies... No, no anal chocolate jokes please!

Thankyou all for your support... i shall pop by more often Emma! go the gurls xx

Sweet! Going to oxygen saterday?

Edited by Hi Tower