Sign in to follow this  
Aza13

'86 E30 318 That dont wana start!!!

Hey all, just writing to get your guys thoughts as I have a car that wont turn over let alone start...driving me crazy (no pun intended). All the dash lights come on with the first click over but then radio doesnt wana go either. Also absolutely nothing from the engine when trying to start!!! Had the battery checked and it's fine?!? Possibly something wrong with the starter. If you could advise what i need to fix the problem plus rounabout cost to do so - Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this problem just poped outa knowhere and gettin sick of catchin thee old bus to work lol..

Cheers

Aza

Not sure about the radio problem, but an engine that won't turn over when everything else is working fine and with a good battery could be faulty starter solenoid, faulty starter, or loose/broken engine earth strap.

When you turn to the first click have a listen under the bonnet for the hum of the idle control/cold start valves and get someone to try and start it and listen for the click of the starter solenoid.

If nothing, look down on the passenger side for a thick wire or strap going from the sump to the chassis. If if is loose or broken there is your problem.

If you can hear the idle valve etc buzzing then look at your starter for the solution.

I had a prob with mine not starting once- turned out that a relay associated with a redundant immobiliser was still in the system, and had become non- functioning due to crap getting into it.....

im having a problem starting my 325i at the moment too. i replaced the starter motor with a spare one on saturday and it was fine until this afternoon after school. i managed to start it by jumping some power to the 'signal in' (dont no what else to call it) on the back of the solenoid, so it seems to be in between there and the key for me. <_<

im having a problem starting my 325i at the moment too. i replaced the starter motor with a spare one on saturday and it was fine until this afternoon after school. i managed to start it by jumping some power to the 'signal in' (dont no what else to call it) on the back of the solenoid, so it seems to be in between there and the key for me. <_<

Thats what diagnosed my prob....

Thats what diagnosed my prob....

yeah same here, first had starter motor probs, replaced that then same symptoms a few months later so thought it was the starter motor again, turned out to be the immobiliser, still havent got around to fixing the problem ive just wired in a push button start that bi-passes the immobiliser.

yeah same here, first had starter motor probs, replaced that then same symptoms a few months later so thought it was the starter motor again, turned out to be the immobiliser, still havent got around to fixing the problem ive just wired in a push button start that bi-passes the immobiliser.

True, thanks for that will look into it. Have you any idea how much it will cost to fix? Or easy enough for a home job?

Cheers,

Aza

i did the startermotor in my car myself, and did the quick wiring job to bi-pass the imobiliser myself to so sorry have no idea the costs, this is how i checked if it was the immobiliser or starter:

wire up a small led with plenty of wire for reach, ground one end on the strut tower and stick the other end on the starter motor terminal, should be the big thick red wire coming off it, turn the car over, if the led lights up and your car dont start your starter motors stuffed, if no light on the led its your imobiliser or a wire inbetween your ignition and starter motor.

if you need help wiring around your imobiliser give me a yell, pretty simple with a little eletrical no how.

Edited by Dirty6