Sign in to follow this  
StylesM5

My drive in the Audi R8

They sound so hot!

Edited by JP

Wow, that looked like so much fun- Awesome B'day present.

Shame there was traffic around and couldn't open it right up.

badass...jock my real question is...

whats faster, the R8 or the turbo :)

badass...jock my real question is...

whats faster, the R8 or the turbo :)

Interesing question Gus.

For all those that don't know, I am currently babysitting the 318is Turbo for Gus, Andrew's old car. Free garage storage and I keep it running for Gus, although I need to get it a warrant, so it hasn't been out for a couple of weeks.

I always loved the M5 in the way that it had a kick at 4200 rpm when the intake length shortened when the flap closed. This gave an impression of more power than it actually had. The turbo certainly acts in the same way, just more savagely due to the fact that the car is a lot lighter and the impact of sudden power increase is so much more when it comes on boost.

The R8 also feels bloody quick, 420 HP in 1500 kgs is certainly a lovely recipe. The power delivery is very linear right up to the redline at 8200 rpm.

In all honesty, I can't say which is quicker. I'd love to back to back them on a round trip of the Coramandel Peninsular or something. I'm sure the R8 would be a lot quicker due to it's superior technology (and still fun), although the grin factor on the E30 would be good too.

So here's the challenge, let's get the isT, an R8 and someones M6 together and do a report. We'll have to get Lance along, just to hear his laugh. That's him you can hear cracking up on the Audi S Experience RS4 clip.

Anyone keen?

PS, Bronnie bought me 2 nights accomodation at Puka Park Pauanui in 3 weeks time. I'm looking for a car to take for the 2 days. My preference is for a Z4 M Coupe. Can anyone help? (You don't ask, you don't get ^_^ )

Very nice, sure sounds the part!!

The soundtrack is pure sex. I think it plays a huge part in the overall driving experience.

Quattroporte Sport GT. If you are taking the family.

If it is just the 2 of you. An Alfa Brera Spider or an F430 Spider.

post-326-1189829384_thumb.jpg

Quattroporte Sport GT. If you are taking the family.

If it is just the 2 of you. An Alfa Brera Spider or an F430 Spider.

Hmmm, saw a QP go through Takapuna yeaterday when I was having brunch with the boys, sounded almost as good as the M6 conv that went past.

Mate, you don't take the kids away on a dirty weekend, especially for TWO nights! We're booked to Surfers for a week late in October for them. Just let me know where to pick the F430 up from!

Cheers, J

Edited by StylesM5

interesting comments jock...in a straight line fairly even? i would of course imagine the R8 to be faster overall...pretty badass that its similarish though. i got some good plans for that car! would of course offer to test drive vs other cars one day when im back!

finally saw my first R8 in real life..i really liked it. wats the pricing like in NZ? a realistic alternative to a 911? as its way more badass. i would actually consider one.

I can organise an F430, but I don't want to top and tail with you Jock.

Seriously, look at the Alfa Spider. It's hot.

Nice...looks like good fun!

There is a good article in the latest autocar on the R8, looks like you can spend thousands and thousands of $$$ just on extras

Nice...looks like good fun!

There is a good article in the latest autocar on the R8, looks like you can spend thousands and thousands of $$$ just on extras

Ironically, I subscribe to Autocar. I got the call from Gary at Giltraps when I was on my way home to get my arse down there "in about 2 hours". I got home to that mag in the letterbox! Was great to read the article before I went for the drive. I concur with every comment in the article. Just f**kin fantastic!

I can organise an F430, but I don't want to top and tail with you Jock.

Haha, I won't make you swallow!

Awesome Jock!

Mean pressie.

Lets race: my new racecar, the turbo, an R8.

I've raced a Gallardo in the turbo and it made it look like it was sitting still. Turbo is about E46 m3 fast (slightly quicker) - I'm sure the R8 would definately destroy it.

Watch this space, I'm getting spoiled. Just had a call from a mad keen Audi mate who wants to take me for a strop in his - wait for it - 520HP RS6 (the twin turbo V8 beast) next week. Will keep you all informed.

I must be the only person on this planet that doesn't like the R8 ... nor think it's anything special : P

honestly ... $280,000 for a base and easily $320,000 with few toys ... I'd rather buy the 997 GT3 without even a test drive .... soo much better value for money ... and more accomplished as a driver's car.

And 1500+kg for an all alloy body??? What's going on here?? Give me a NSX please ....

And $280,000 for what is basically a RS4 engine .... sorry I'd rather spend $160,000 and buy a RS4 and mod the crap out of it with the spare $120,000 ...

The R8 does nothing in terms of value for money for me ... nor is the alloy chassis anything significant in the days and ages of composite materials ... the NSX did it in 1989 (and to much better standards) .... sorry Audi, but you are 18 years too late ...

Nice test drive by the way ... looked fun regardless of my dislike for the R8 ...

Another thing ... everytime I look at it I think the front end looks weird ... almost like a Dolphin with it long sharp nose ...(and yes I've sat in one and viewed it up close ... didn't take it for a drive though)

Edited by M3_Power

I must be the only person on this planet that doesn't like the R8 ... nor think it's anything special : P

honestly ... $280,000 for a base and easily $320,000 with few toys ... I'd rather buy the 997 GT3 without even a test drive .... soo much better value for money ... and more accomplished as a driver's car.

And 1500+kg for an all alloy body??? What's going on here?? Give me a NSX please ....

And $280,000 for what is basically a RS4 engine .... sorry I'd rather spend $160,000 and buy a RS4 and mod the crap out of it with the spare $120,000 ...

The R8 does nothing in terms of value for money for me ... nor is the alloy chassis anything significant in the days and ages of composite materials ... the NSX did it in 1989 (and to much better standards) .... sorry Audi, but you are 18 years too late ...

Nice test drive by the way ... looked fun regardless of my dislike for the R8 ...

Another thing ... everytime I look at it I think the front end looks weird ... almost like a Dolphin with it long sharp nose ...(and yes I've sat in one and viewed it up close ... didn't take it for a drive though)

Good comments, kinda puts it all in perspective I spose. I must admit that I had the thought that the profit margin on this car must be pretty high. Mind you, they won't sell a huge number of them. I think if you chose to own one, it would be # 5 or 6 in your garage after the daily driver, wife's car, tow car, race car etc etc. You won't be short of cash if you shelved out for it.

I think it looks stunning BTW. Each to their own

Good comments, kinda puts it all in perspective I spose. I must admit that I had the thought that the profit margin on this car must be pretty high. Mind you, they won't sell a huge number of them. I think if you chose to own one, it would be # 5 or 6 in your garage after the daily driver, wife's car, tow car, race car etc etc. You won't be short of cash if you shelved out for it.

I think it looks stunning BTW. Each to their own

Actually 18 are coming into the country and all are spoken for - except when I spoke with the sales person he said he did have one spot left due to a buyer pulling out this morning (kinda of makes me suspicious when a sales comes up with stories like this ... wife sells minis ... so I get told of all the tricks of the trade)

Funnily enough when I gave him my view on the R8 (pretty much an extended version of what I posted above) he had absolutely no come back or defence for it ... simply asked me if I wanted to look at the RS4 instead ... LOL ...(I went next door instead to look at the GT3)

I agree that if you can afford a R8 it wouldn't likely to be a daily - although nothing wrong with using it as one( as shown by the other white one running around remuera)

As a total package it just doesn't do it for me ... if the Porsche Boxter is the poor man's 911 .. then the Audi R8 is the poor man's Lamborghini ...

p.s. the 997 GT3 is stunning by the way .... softer yes ... but very refined.

im not a huge fan, had a look at the white one at continental cars and the standard paint looked to have slight orange peel along the rear quarters.

hmm, that is expensive, i was under the impression it was more a based 911 competitor than a GT3 $$ price...i might find out the ££ cost over here, i am sure it is comparitively less

hmm, that is expensive, i was under the impression it was more a based 911 competitor than a GT3 $$ price...i might find out the ££ cost over here, i am sure it is comparitively less

Tell ya what, you buy one, bring it back here and we'll all race the R8, Turbo and Andrew's car for a year and write a book about it. :rolleyes:

haha, and another thing. andy, turbo vs gallardo? isnt the gallardo 500hp? its a wee bit unfair haha. might have to work on that though haha