Sign in to follow this  
nze30m3

E30 333i

Guest Rick James

The 333i comes with a getrag 265, which has a seperate bellhousing, and is the box that bolts to the M10 and M30 series of motors, IE: S14 and S38, which is why that turbo one above is running a Getrag 280 from an E34 M5.

325iS was built to go group N racing in South Africa, against the Opel Superboss. Came in three iterations, the 325iS, which had alloy doors / guards / bonnet, 3.73LSD, full m-tec bodykit, leather or "uberkaro" check cloth, sunroof (option), powersteering, ABS, 5 lug hubs from the E30 M3, E30 M3 brakes, alpina sway bars, 15" BBS et30 BBS basketweave wheels, a mild 2.7 using a forged BMW crank from the E28 524 turbo diesel, alpina pistons and rods, a cam of unknown spec (milder than the alpina 262 degree unit), and modified BMW management using an Alpina chip.

The 325iS Evo came in two batches (known as the Evo 2 and 3 respectively), and had some slight changes compared to the Evo 1. These included a 3.91:1LSD, all alloy panels reverted to steel, a full alpina C2 2.7 motor and management, including the head which featured bigger valves on the exhaust side.

If you find anymore in the country other than the 4 that we know of, look for the chassis number to tell whether its genuine or not - Evo 1 cars were produced in 3/1990, and their chassis numbers start with OAF (although mine was built in 5/1990 using an OAF chassis - so its still genuine), Evo 2's and Evo 3's were identical in spec and built in 3/1991 and 5/1991 - their chassis numbers start with OAJ and OEJ - although there were some out of sync Evo 2's put together.

It's a shame that the adj lip the Evo 2's got can't be bought anymore, hardly any of them have it still.

The 333i comes with a getrag 265, which has a seperate bellhousing, and is the box that bolts to the M10 and M30 series of motors, IE: S14 and S38, which is why that turbo one above is running a Getrag 280 from an E34 M5.

325iS was built to go group N racing in South Africa, against the Opel Superboss. Came in three iterations, the 325iS, which had alloy doors / guards / bonnet, 3.73LSD, full m-tec bodykit, leather or "uberkaro" check cloth, sunroof (option), powersteering, ABS, 5 lug hubs from the E30 M3, E30 M3 brakes, alpina sway bars, 15" BBS et30 BBS basketweave wheels, a mild 2.7 using a forged BMW crank from the E28 524 turbo diesel, alpina pistons and rods, a cam of unknown spec (milder than the alpina 262 degree unit), and modified BMW management using an Alpina chip.

The 325iS Evo came in two batches (known as the Evo 2 and 3 respectively), and had some slight changes compared to the Evo 1. These included a 3.91:1LSD, all alloy panels reverted to steel, a full alpina C2 2.7 motor and management, including the head which featured bigger valves on the exhaust side.

If you find anymore in the country other than the 4 that we know of, look for the chassis number to tell whether its genuine or not - Evo 1 cars were produced in 3/1990, and their chassis numbers start with OAF (although mine was built in 5/1990 using an OAF chassis - so its still genuine), Evo 2's and Evo 3's were identical in spec and built in 3/1991 and 5/1991 - their chassis numbers start with OAJ and OEJ - although there were some out of sync Evo 2's put together.

It's a shame that the adj lip the Evo 2's got can't be bought anymore, hardly any of them have it still.

Man you know your e30s.

So what is the model of the dogleg e30 m3 box?

So only the evo 1 had the alluminum panels. if thats the case then i've been told wrong, as many a South african that have owned them have told me that the evo 2 also had the aluminium panels....

thanks for the info...

Guest Rick James

The dogleg box in the E30 M3 is a 265, It came in both dogleg and H pattern versions.

The dogleg box in the E30 M3 is a 265, It came in both dogleg and H pattern versions.

thanks for that.

is ur car in pieces for repair or upgrades?

I was just wondering... In that first link, the one about the Turbo, the writer claims that the car has better weight distribution than a regular e30. He also claims that the engine in his car has been lightened. I looked up the engine specs and an M30 is nearly 30kgs heavier than an M20. That's a lot of weight to take out of an engine.

Are E30s tail heavy somehow? (lead diff casing? Concrete boot lid maybe?) Or is that line about weight distribution just a bit of propaganda by the article's writer?

If not, it seems like a pretty decent sort of conversion.

Guest Rick James

thanks for that.

is ur car in pieces for repair or upgrades?

Bit of both. My P/S pump mounts sheared in 04, and they were repaired incorrectly, and the drive belt for it was located on the wrong pulley.

My short shift was binding on the dust boot and thus 3rd wasn't getting selected properly so all the teeth are in the box somewhere :D

New fuel lines as fires aren't very nice, and some other addenda is being taken care of.

I was just wondering... In that first link, the one about the Turbo, the writer claims that the car has better weight distribution than a regular e30. He also claims that the engine in his car has been lightened. I looked up the engine specs and an M30 is nearly 30kgs heavier than an M20. That's a lot of weight to take out of an engine.

Are E30s tail heavy somehow? (lead diff casing? Concrete boot lid maybe?) Or is that line about weight distribution just a bit of propaganda by the article's writer?

Havn't read the article so flame if I've got this wrong, but you're right about the m30 being much heavier and ruining the already slightly front heavy weight distribution of an e30 with an m20. but if the guy did as much lightening as possible to the whole front end of the car, and cut his firewall to push the motor back (common on m30 swaps as it is also the only way you can run a mechanical fan), then it should be possible to get close to stock weight distribution. Better? unlikely.

Edited by bravo

Hi, attached is a snip of an article that was forwarded to me from Neal - a member of this forum. The article is labelled Flying Machines - all about the 333i.

We have to also remember that the suspension was alpina and the car was ultimately designed for the track to go up against the 190e...

I would say that the 333i would perform better than a regular e30...

post-1953-1190237636_thumb.jpg

Bit of both. My P/S pump mounts sheared in 04, and they were repaired incorrectly, and the drive belt for it was located on the wrong pulley.

My short shift was binding on the dust boot and thus 3rd wasn't getting selected properly so all the teeth are in the box somewhere :D

New fuel lines as fires aren't very nice, and some other addenda is being taken care of.

sounds expensive. give me a hollow when its going and i would love to come out for a looksie. cheers for all the information.

graeme, you cant bang the firewall out...feel behind the dash and see how close the brake bar is to the firewall...probably have about <5mm clearance?

im not a fan, its simply more weight in the front of the car, where the m20 is too heavy anyway

4 cylinder for life, thats why they raced that one!

graeme, you cant bang the firewall out...feel behind the dash and see how close the brake bar is to the firewall...probably have about <5mm clearance?

im not a fan, its simply more weight in the front of the car, where the m20 is too heavy anyway

4 cylinder for life, thats why they raced that one!

E30 M3 rock on!!!!!!

On 9/18/2007 at 4:43 PM, nze30m3 said:

Hi Guys

Are there any e30 333i in New Zealand?

they were ex South africa - only produced in 85-87 and limited numbers.

I think they came in red, white, black and silver.

What do you guys think this car is worth in NZ?

:)

They're the rarest of rare, more so than the e30 m3.

Only 210 were ever made with 204 available for sale.

They came in a total of 4 colours (aero silver) was the other colour.

a mate of mine has 2 of these sitting around waiting for some resto work and nz compliance etc .

On 12/14/2019 at 5:58 PM, Bimma said:

They're the rarest of rare, more so than the e30 m3.

Only 210 were ever made with 204 available for sale.

They came in a total of 4 colours (aero silver) was the other colour.

Nice 12 year old thread dig. 

• Haha 4