Sign in to follow this  
murdoko

AUTO TRANSMISSION FLARES

Hi just bought a BMW 93 525i w/ m50b25.. of course, it also comes with the famous "jatco jerk" but i noticed there's a flare from 2-3 gear.. if u step on it, it flares for about 500 RPM max but u cant notice it when your driving smooth.. i know flares are always bad i was just thinking if it could just be because of lack of trans oil, could it be? coz i dont really know much about auto trans.. COULD THERE BE HOPE FOR MY TRANS?!? if not then im just gonna chuck another one in.. =)

Is it a 4 or 5 speed?

I take it it's a jap import?

Any idea what grade of ATF is recommended for your vehicle?

I would have the transmission flushed with a good quality ATF, preferably semi or fully synthetic. Penrite do both and they can be ordered through Supercheap auto.

Some of the Lubegard products may also be a good idea if the transmission is getting worn, but I would flush it and change the filter first.

Cheers.

Yeah as andrew said- no hope. Flaring is some thingee's inside it getting old and hardening

Yeah as andrew said- no hope. Flaring is some thingee's inside it getting old and hardening

thanks guyz, that's what i thought.. ill purchase a spare trans as soon as i can and wait for the old trans to fail..lol =)

naaah, might replace it sooner than that