Sign in to follow this  
muppet23

Heya, new member

Hey Guys,

Just got my first BMW, a NZ New '96 E36 328i Auto. There is a couple of things I'd like to do to it to make it look a bit better but would appreciate any suggestions. Here is a couple of photos of it from the caryard website: (I Paid less than what's in the window.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I'd like to make the indicator lights all clear (not altezza style though!!!!) Where is the best place to buy these, trademe?

Also I'd like to have the side skirts, bumpers etc the same colour as the car. Is it best to buy new ones or just paint the current ones?

Anyway looking forward to having a nicer car than my old Familia!!!

Cheers,

Scotty

Edited by muppet23

Welcome Scotty

Looks very nice and tidy. I'm sure you will enjoy every minute driving it.

Cheers

Grant

Welcome fellow Chch bimmersporter!

I suggest painting the skirt kit for sure! Oh, and get rid of the wood trim grandad! :D

Trademe is the best place to get Motorsport-esque lights.... $305 to your door (I have my eye on some once finances allow!)

- Mark

Welcome to the club Scotty. Good choice with a 328i. How many Ks has it done?

As for lights, the best would be original BMW (OE) ones, but price is pretty ridiculous - so if you were to go aftermarket, Depo would be the best quality and look pretty close to OE. The ones on TradeMe sold by 'eurolights' are Depo.

As for painting the bumpers and side rocker panels (you don't have any sideskirts atm), if you know you'll be modding her sometime in the future I wouldn't bother right now. Save the money and paint the new bumpers instead.

Thanks guys, its a pleasure to drive - gets along nicely too! Has 122kms on the clock, so not too bad I thought - should still have a bit of life in it yet with it being nz new and having a full service history from bmw dealers all the way through.

Cheers Yuen, had been looking at those lights - they should do nicely. Comment noted about the painting. Your quite right I'd like to put a nice kit on it so yes will just save the money. Where's the most common place in New Zealand, or better still Christchurch, to get quality body kit parts? Googling and trademe didnt bring up many options.

Thanks again,

Scotty

Clear lights: If you're not fussed about getting the OEM look then buy some after markets.

OEM are $1200+ for full kit.

Love the seats ........... if you have half the amount of enjoyment that I have had you will be over the moon .......... in fact BMW's are infectious,

I have just picked up a second one, and loving it.

Safe travelling,

Regards

Paul - E30

Nice to see another clean NZ-new E36. You have done very well!

Clear lights: If you're not fussed about getting the OEM look then buy some after markets.

OEM are $1200+ for full kit.

Clear lights do look good on the silver E36s...

Motorsport Front Bumper and Clear indicators etc and it will be loooking sweet...Nice interior.

Thanks guys, its a pleasure to drive - gets along nicely too! Has 122kms on the clock, so not too bad I thought - should still have a bit of life in it yet with it being nz new and having a full service history from bmw dealers all the way through.

Hi Scotty

I doubt you'll have any problems - I bought mine almost 5 years ago with 102,700 on it . . . It's just clocked 240k and still going very nicely. Biggest cost has been the tyres. It's my first BM - can't see me driving any other make now!

Ashley

Hey Scotty,

Looks like a mint buy, look forward to see your progress.

Cale

Welcome Scotty

Nice straight looking car. The E36 drive's well, and has plenty of power. If you paid less that the window price for just 122km, for NZ new, and a service histroy - you have done very well indeed. I had a 323 E36 Coupe - it was a great car, and surprisingly low cost to maintain, and more economical on fuel that I expected (especially given how we drove it - god it was fun - no traction control on ours!).

My 2 cents worth; Colour keying the lower black bits would lift it a bit, or add a front skirt, side skirts - and colour key thoses.

Some after market 18" alloys would lift it too.

As others have said - once you have a BMW you are hooked.

Jim