Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: E30 m318i / M50B25 Swap

Looking bloody good man. Love the rocker cover.

Yea man painful too... i hate sanding couldnt even get all the scratchs out but u can notice them in the photo :P

Thanks for documenting this. I know nothing about cars but its still interesting!

Yea man painful too... i hate sanding couldnt even get all the scratchs out but u can notice them in the photo :P

Haha I know your pain, try getting machine marks out of 4 wheel lips

worth it in the end tho, its looking pretty cool

Edited by Mike

Thanks for documenting this. I know nothing about cars but its still interesting!

All good. Theres some finer things that I have missed out. I started out not planning to document it as my camera is very ill to say the least.

Haha I know your pain, try getting machine marks out of 4 wheel lips

worth it in the end tho, its looking pretty cool

Yea man it sux hard! Get sore arms etc but yea its worth it aye. Yea machining marks are the worst u should see the marks the stripping disk left in the smaller corners bah so hard to get at cant see them in the pics tho thank goodness :)

Sick as project man...hope to see the final product soon bro! :D

Cheers bro, sick avatar ;) Yea you and me both man just purchased another motor last night. My head from the original setup I was going to use is beyond repairs... $538 of work and labour and no result! Got a full head gasket set from it though. Have bought the motor that my gearbox came off from Birch ave autospares in Tauranga. Damn if I had have known that my head was gonna be stuffed i would have bought it all as one package in the first place. Atleast I have a spare block now though to play with for FI ;)

Luke

Cheers bro, sick avatar ;) Yea you and me both man just purchased another motor last night. My head from the original setup I was going to use is beyond repairs... $538 of work and labour and no result! Got a full head gasket set from it though. Have bought the motor that my gearbox came off from Birch ave autospares in Tauranga. Damn if I had have known that my head was gonna be stuffed i would have bought it all as one package in the first place. Atleast I have a spare block now though to play with for FI ;)

Luke

I suppose with massive project like yours, issues like these are bound to pop up...it really takes time to iron out those issues...but glad that you got it sorted...good luck with the rest of the project...most of all hope you enjoy it!

I envy you having the experience of doing such hands on things...lol its not something that anyone would do lol...

Yea ya gotta expect these things aye haha. Cheers man :D but really im no mechanic aye as long as your practical anythings acheivable. I started out with a crappy DA6 Integra, the internet is your friend and a great source especially friendly communitys such as bimmersport etc..

I just cant wait to start her up aye I need to find someone that can build me an exhaust manifold to fit in the small space of the E30 haha

Yea ya gotta expect these things aye haha. Cheers man :D but really im no mechanic aye as long as your practical anythings acheivable. I started out with a crappy DA6 Integra, the internet is your friend and a great source especially friendly communitys such as bimmersport etc..

I just cant wait to start her up aye I need to find someone that can build me an exhaust manifold to fit in the small space of the E30 haha

Trust the guys at Pitstop...not...Sorry bro...Auckland here...dont know anyones down there...but yea its a damn awesome project...

Trust the guys at Pitstop...not...Sorry bro...Auckland here...dont know anyones down there...but yea its a damn awesome project...

Haha hardly as bad as MIDAS we used to have here, welds broke clean off on one of my exhaust on my honda lol, chur bro

nice project

Thanks man :D

Have a look at the m52 328 exhaust mani.

2 pieces, quite small, might help?

These cars rip with the m50, you'll be stoked I'm sure.

Have a look at the m52 328 exhaust mani.

2 pieces, quite small, might help?

These cars rip with the m50, you'll be stoked I'm sure.

Oh true cheers man i'll look into that, just the steering is in the way so gotta get around that somehow. Yea I have no idea to be honest what to expect from this conversion, I've talked to peoeple with E34/36's with M50B25's and they say the go all good but I wont be satisfied till I drive it haha

Haha hardly as bad as MIDAS we used to have here, welds broke clean off on one of my exhaust on my honda lol, chur bro

Thanks man :D

My mate a had a twin system done on his VR4 at Pitstops...hes actually on this forum with the 850...anyways...one was longer an the other one which looked a little dodgy...

SUCESS!!!!! Started her up yesterday finally :D

Got a new motor last week from Birch Ave Autospares in Tauranga, same place and same motor my manual ZF box came from so should have just got that motor in the first place...

Man what a mission dropping the motor in with the gearbox attached! Such a tight fit really really hard to get it to sit into the engine mounts, ended up ripping the E28 mount that is needed for the conversion so had to use my original M40 318i mount and it seems to do the same job so dont see the need for the E28 mounts for a M50 conversion?

Got everything together by Saturday night and the starter motor just wouldnt fire over.. ended up with a fire in the engine loom so had to strip down the intake manifold and follow the wire that burnt out. It ended up being a earth wire from the oil sump level sensor. Took me and my mate a while to figure it out then realised that i hadnt earthed the motor to the chasis so the starter motor was earthing through the nearest wire it could find I guess which was the burnt out wire.... temporarily held a thick wire against the body of the starter motor and my mate held the other end against the chasis and BANG got the meanest zap thru my finger (hole in my skin and burnt my flesh to a nice yellow colour)

Apart from being zapped to mars the starter motor also turned over and we knew it was an earthing issue. So motors all together now. Had to relocate power steering canister as it was in the way of the inlet pipe coming from the AF meter. Also the inlet manifold is still like 1mm away from the brake booster even tho i changed to a smaller VW one :S...

Car is going into the exhaust shop tommorow and have an M52 tubular manifold coming from Ray at HELLBM which will need modifying to fit. Thanks to all you guys for the help aye much appreciated especially Ray, Jonty, Brent i think JP helped out a bit and i know theres more of you sorry if i forget ill try remember haha. Heres some pics and a real short video of it running with no manifold, enjoy guys!

Video....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cameras stuffed those photos came out way to blurry try and get some better videos and pics asap

Cheers guys, Luke

congrats, its looking good

what front half of the driveshaft are you using to use the zf box?

i love that feeling..im sure there is a vid on the site of me doing the same, with flames coming out the head.

nice :thumb:

congrats, its looking good

what front half of the driveshaft are you using to use the zf box?

i love that feeling..im sure there is a vid on the site of me doing the same, with flames coming out the head.

nice :thumb:

Cheers man think u helped me out too so thanks aye, I ended up using the yolk off the 318i auto driveshaft and had it welded to the ZF box driveshaft. Lol the feeling of being electricuted? haha yea feels mint aye! :D you should try jamming ur finger between an auto gearbox when it falls over and wedges ur finger between a sharp piece of steel lol....

Try find that vid Gus ive got another one now of it driving down the road and some clearer pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does she go like the clappers?

Haha dunno yet man gutless as without the exhaust manifold on there being no back pressure. Also the 1:1 gearbox ratio made it feel real reevy but felt like i was going no where fast lol... will find out tommorow i guess when the manifold and exhaust is all attached up. Will post up more pics when the engine bay is all finished and photos of the exhaust etc.

sup bra.

your done well nerli but that so sweet bro. i shell talk to you abou it some time but yeah the ride hight looks SICK as to. what hight is your car off the ground now that you have that beast in there haha

cheer

Yea nearly done haha just waiting for the exhaust to be finished aye gonna be expensive!!!! Haha aite dude i think a few ppl will wanna talk soon.....yea loving the height aye shes pretty low dont think its legal anymore :( oh well hopefully get it all certed for its height.

Luke

Well finally had the exhaust done yesterday waaaaaay to loud need a descent muffler in the middle of the system somewhere any recomendations, running 2.25 pipe. As far as performance im very impressed half the reason being due to such a close ratio gearbox as some of you told me, the acceleration is good. Definitely need a lower ratio diff i think? Few small bits and pieces need tidying up ill get some more pics and vids etc off exhaust and other things i have left out for the conversion.

Anybody got a long ratio diff that they would swap by any chance?

Edited by Boost Junky