Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Bedding in new rotors and Pads

Hey Guys

Just finished my E30 with my Auto To manual conversion and at the same time i replaced my front rotors and pads and bled the brakes with new fluid ect.

Only they really suck and need bedding in.

i have been told by a few people to do a few hard stops from 60kmh but not to stop completely ie 3 or 4 times and then to do the same from 100kmh a few times and then they should be working good.

Is this the correct way to go about it ?

the braking at the moment is totally useless so i need to do something soon.

from my understanding you dont do any heavy breaking for awhile, you need to get a good surface going first, nice easy breaking to slowly bed them in, if the braking is totaly useless maybe you stuffed up with the bleeding and theres a bit of air still in the system, just my 2 cents

that article sounds good, will see how it goes.

Cheers

from my understanding you dont do any heavy breaking for awhile, you need to get a good surface going first, nice easy breaking to slowly bed them in, if the braking is totaly useless maybe you stuffed up with the bleeding and theres a bit of air still in the system, just my 2 cents

Well i Went for about an hours drive before no hard braking just driving and slowing down maybe a bit harder than normal and then whipped a wheel off, rotors had a nice surface going on them could only just see the hatching from the new rotors so that appears to be going well.

and i popped into my mates place and we re bled my brakes a bit and it made a hell of diffierence.

Pedal still feels a really tiny little bit soft but certainly its well withing "normal" now where before it used to be really "suck"

Might have another go at bleeding next weekend and by them they should be nicely bed in.

FWIW, the 'hard stops' method that I used were after I replaced all rotors and also put new Axxis (PBR) Ultimate pads on.

I have just done mine on the '88 2 Door or had them done. New Rotors & Pads all round, 3 stops at 100k (cautiously) done 1000k now with normal driving and they are fine - BUT BUT BUT .............. check Booster Vacuum, AND the little wee "O" Ring that drops out from the Master Cylinder & Booster !

Now that was a bummer, 'cause we thought that the Pads were too hard.

Came right and is now reasonably good.

I say reasonably because the 4 door has the softer pad & are really good !

Paul - E30 is !

ps if I could work out how to post a pic I would do so.

Good info thanks guys !

I have just been moderate on mine and after a decent bleed they are now perfect !

Going to wait 500kms before i give them a good hot run to see how they go !

the hard stop method without stopping is to prevent any material from the pad "welding" itself to the disc,If you do and material is deposited on the dis then you have a pulse...some may think the disc is warped.So after the hard stop method keep driving until the discs are completely cool.