Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

New Wheels on our SLK

I put new wheels on the SLK today - DTM like on the BMW. They have 245/35R19 Yokohama tyres.

post-1569-1191991782_thumb.jpg

post-1569-1191991828_thumb.jpg

I put new wheels on the SLK today - DTM like on the BMW. They have 245/35R19 Yokohama tyres.

needs a serious drop, looks like a 4x4

nice but yeah get a 50mm drop (aftermarket springs)

btw it doesnt need to be hard as **** with new springs. Just get a soft spring rate (350)

Good to see you have gone for OEM-ish wheels. I have seen plenty of SLK's ruined with horrid aftermarket chromies, worse still spinners!

I second the other comments, would look even bet with a wee drop.

Car looks mint, you must be stoked.

Edited by Jeremy

Nice wheels you have there, but yea as said above a wee drop and it will look slick B)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. A small drop may work but there isn't a lot of clearance left in the front at the moment. When I replace the tyres in about 6 months I may go 235/35R19 front and run 255/35R19 rear to return it to the staggered fitment and then run some slighgtly lowered springs. The tyre shop says there is plenty of room to go 10mm wider in the rear. As the original wheels were 205/55R16 and 225/50/16 I was surprised these fitted - I thought an 18" would be about as big as I could go.

Something that may help balance the look is to get the black strip at the bottom of the door and rear bumper colour keyed with the car.

BTW I took the photo from down low which probably makes it look a little higher than it is. Anyway I'm seriously stoked at picking these up for just $1200 - they are absolutely mint. Apparently new they would be about $700 each plus tyres - ouch.

Anyway I'll be taking some photos this weekend of the black 740 and red SLK together, both sporting DTM rims, 19" and 20". I'll post a pic - Itls a bloody nice mix of "fun" vehicles. Our regular drive is an Mitsubishi Outlander.

Nice wheels you have there, but yea as said above a wee drop and it will look slick B)

BTW how do you get that pic of your car showing at the bottom of posts. By the way nice example. My wife had a 96 red 323 coupe a few years back - loved that car!

Here its picture hosting.Im not sure how to use it though sorry, my workmate did it.

Could get him to host one for you as well to use in your sig. email me the pic if you would like to and i'll get him to host it and email you back the link for you to put in your sig.my emails braedenb@durhamfinance.com.au.

Failing that someone else here will definatly no exactly how to do it.I think its straight forward enough.

Hope that helps

Go to www.photobucket.com and make a profile/album/register

In your photobucket album hit "browse" and locate the pic in your pc that you want to appear below your posts. Upload it, not too big. Then copy the 4th URL down labeled "IMG code"

Then come back here and go to my controls > Edit signature (down left hand side) and paste the link in (keep the tags)

Voila. Pm me if its not working.

Edited by tire

I second the other comments, would look even bet with a wee drop.

"Houston we have a problem", basically the tyres are hitting the guards - and both guards are now damaged! :(

The right guard will need to repainted - its popped te guard out and the paint is no longer attached - but still appears OK to the causual eye. I'm gutted. Lowering is obviously not an option!

So much for Dave Hadleys guys saying they were a good fit; as long as you dont try to turn in a corner and either touch the brakes, or hit a bump - :angry:

May have to look at 235/30R19 if available for the front!

"Houston we have a problem", basically the tyres are hitting the guards - and both guards are now damaged! :(

The right guard will need to repainted - its popped te guard out and the paint is no longer attached - but still appears OK to the causual eye. I'm gutted. Lowering is obviously not an option!

So much for Dave Hadleys guys saying they were a good fit; as long as you dont try to turn in a corner and either touch the brakes, or hit a bump - :angry:

May have to look at 235/30R19 if available for the front!

roll gaurds? reset offset?

roll gaurds? reset offset?

Guards already rolled. Suspension needs to be firmer / wheel diameter smaller - currently it is 654mm - originally it was 631mm. A 235/35/19 would reduce that to 648. The front tyres are 40mm wider that before. I would go 225/35/19 BUT thats too small for the rim.

Maybe I'll sell them and get some 18" wheels with staggered fitment.

Go to www.photobucket.com and make a profile/album/register

In your photobucket album hit "browse" and locate the pic in your pc that you want to appear below your posts. Upload it, not too big. Then copy the 4th URL down labeled "IMG code"

Then come back here and go to my controls > Edit signature (down left hand side) and paste the link in (keep the tags)

Voila. Pm me if its not working.

Thankyou - it worked like a charm!

Thankyou - it worked like a charm!

good good

hey Jimbo, awesome SLK...Love your user signature...nice cars you have their...with phat as rims...

Thanks. We are pleased with the 2 cars - the SLK is in mint condition - and I drove it to Weelington and back this morning top down - it's just great :D . Together they make a nice set. The SLK gets a lot of attention - I've even had one of the kids school teachers just jump in and demand I take her for a drive! :unsure: As yet no ones done that with the BMW.

Wish list For the SLK;

• try and get 235/30ZR19 or 235/35R19 tyres for the front. It's got 245/35R19 currently as these come with the alloys. The originals were 205/55R16! Conventional wisdom say's I'm about 1" too big.
  • new higher rated springs
  • Once the others are done; Get the guards properly rolled / repainted - tyres have rubbed and damaged paint :(
  • either fit an AMG body kit, or at least colour key the lower black parts of the car
  • new IPOD friendly head unit like the latest alpine
  • new belts (maintenance) and a new drive pully (to over drive the super charger) which adds about 40hp :P
  • AMG front brake disks and calipers (the standard ones look like a joke behind 19 inch wheels).
Wish list for the 740;
  • get a couple of small dents repaired, touch up rear bumper paint
  • refurbish the drivers seat leather
  • up grade the door speakers
  • maybe add a couple of rear shelf mounted 8 inch subs and a quality amp
  • refinish the clear coat on the alloys
  • get the power steering oil leak fixed (actually this is top of the list).
Edited by jimbo

How have you found the SLK? I have alway liked the look of them (from the outside anyway) and have often thought about getting one until I read the issue that others have had regarding the interior paint flaking off and the roof giving issues. Is this just the usual Internet BS or are there issues like this that I should be aware of?

you menchend that you want to get leather fixed up i need the same thing how much ruffly you rekon

Thanks. We are pleased with the 2 cars - the SLK is in mint condition - and I drove it to Weelington and back this morning top down - it's just great :D . Together they make a nice set. The SLK gets a lot of attention - I've even had one of the kids school teachers just jump in and demand I take her for a drive! :unsure: As yet no ones done that with the BMW.

Wish list For the SLK;

• try and get 235/30ZR19 or 235/35R19 tyres for the front. It's got 245/35R19 currently as these come with the alloys. The originals were 205/55R16! Conventional wisdom say's I'm about 1" too big.
  • new higher rated springs
  • Once the others are done; Get the guards properly rolled / repainted - tyres have rubbed and damaged paint :(
  • either fit an AMG body kit, or at least colour key the lower black parts of the car
  • new IPOD friendly head unit like the latest alpine
  • new belts (maintenance) and a new drive pully (to over drive the super charger) which adds about 40hp :P
  • AMG front brake disks and calipers (the standard ones look like a joke behind 19 inch wheels).
Wish list for the 740;
  • get a couple of small dents repaired, touch up rear bumper paint
  • refurbish the drivers seat leather
  • up grade the door speakers
  • maybe add a couple of rear shelf mounted 8 inch subs and a quality amp
  • refinish the clear coat on the alloys
  • get the power steering oil leak fixed (actually this is top of the list).

might I suggest 225/35/19's front and 255/30/19's rear, should help fix the 'rubbing issue'

How have you found the SLK? I have alway liked the look of them (from the outside anyway) and have often thought about getting one until I read the issue that others have had regarding the interior paint flaking off and the roof giving issues. Is this just the usual Internet BS or are there issues like this that I should be aware of?

We love it. It can really get going once the super charger is doing it's thing. It also gets a lot of attention - people assume it's worth way more than it cost. It actually has a decent amount of room unlike other's we looked at like the Boxster, S2000. It gets more use than we had thought it would - driving to work on fine days - even though we have a company car with free petrol.

No issues with the roof. It work's well. I guess the key is if looking to try with the roof up and down, and put the roof up and down a few times.

However it is true about the soft touch covering on the plastic - it does rub off. We have though about just removing the lot and going black, at the end of the day it's not a biggy.

Only had 2 exisitng issues when I bought it, We had to get the glass in the drivers door re-attached to some metal plate. There was also a rattle in the back parcel tray. Both fixed by Wellington Star with service.

Edited by jimbo

Wish list For the SLK;

Are you still looking for these? A friend of mine had some (from a 03 E55), will enquire as to there whereabouts and price

might I suggest 225/35/19's front and 255/30/19's rear, should help fix the 'rubbing issue'

Thanks.

Checked and a 225/35R19 will fit from a 7.5" to 9" rim. The rim is 19 x 8.5". All in all I think this is the best option - reducing the overall diameter by 14mm, and just 9mm more than the orginal standard tyre. It will also be 20mm narrower so chance of hitting should be significantly reduced.

Leaving the rear at 245 restores the original 20mm staggered difference between front and rear.

And this way i'll have 2 spare rear tyres. :)

Will go and try and order some 225/35R19 tomorrow.

Thanks.

Checked and a 225/35R19 will fit from a 7.5" to 9" rim. The rim is 19 x 8.5". All in all I think this is the best option - reducing the overall diameter by 14mm, and just 9mm more than the orginal standard tyre. It will also be 20mm narrower so chance of hitting should be significantly reduced.

Leaving the rear at 245 restores the original 20mm staggered difference between front and rear.

And this way i'll have 2 spare rear tyres. :)

Will go and try and order some 225/35R19 tomorrow.

pop in and see mark in our store in Petone (Mag and Tyre Direct), super nice guy (for an aussie - lol) tell him Johno sent you in and you need 'trade' pricing. he wil be able to help you out. He should have some in stock - Yes a tyre store that carries big tyres - unbelievable I know!

We do a lot of these SLK's on 18's and generally run a 225/40 and 255/35 rear hence it was logical to suggest the 225/35 and 255/30. Anyway good luck with finding tyres, hopefully we can sort something out for you.

pop in and see mark in our store in Petone (Mag and Tyre Direct), super nice guy (for an aussie - lol) tell him Johno sent you in and you need 'trade' pricing. he wil be able to help you out. He should have some in stock - Yes a tyre store that carries big tyres - unbelievable I know!

We do a lot of these SLK's on 18's and generally run a 225/40 and 255/35 rear hence it was logical to suggest the 225/35 and 255/30. Anyway good luck with finding tyres, hopefully we can sort something out for you.

Went to Dave Hadley tyres this morning - they are going to get back to me with a price on Monday. Will check out Mark at mag and Tyre DEirect on Monday. Thanks.