Sign in to follow this  
ecko_complex

E36 M3 Turbo

Hi every one, I've been browsing for a while (6 months+) and thought I'd finally write up on my car and how everything is going.

The car:

Posted Image

(don't worry, I've since put on clear indicators)

The turbo:

Posted Image

The turbo manifold:

Posted Image

But we ran into a problem, the manifold was much too large and got in the way of the steering column. So the car got sent off to RE Sinclair and they cut up the stock manifold and made the down-pipe.

So here's what the engine bay looked like last week:

Posted Image

I will post up some more pics on monday/tuesday as a lot more work has been done since then.

Edited by ecko_complex

Come in sometime during the week - the guys a couple of buildings across have a turbo M Coupe you might want to cast your eye over...

Yeah it's an extremely tight fit, the AC had to go to make room and it's coming up to summer :(. For extra fuel I'm just running two extra injectors. At a later date when I get a proper ECU I will get six big injectors.

As for HP numbers, initially we're looking at about 400-450hp. It will get put on the dyno when it's done, but it will be the very early stages and will be running very low boost (5-6psi). I'm still deciding if I want to make it a big HP car, which I probably will once I get it back :P.

Yeah it's an extremely tight fit, the AC had to go to make room and it's coming up to summer :(. For extra fuel I'm just running two extra injectors. At a later date when I get a proper ECU I will get six big injectors.

As for HP numbers, initially we're looking at about 400-450hp. It will get put on the dyno when it's done, but it will be the very early stages and will be running very low boost (5-6psi). I'm still deciding if I want to make it a big HP car, which I probably will once I get it back :P.

I sense an S50 heading for early retirement :(

10 points for effort though.

Keep us posted how it all comes together (or apart).

I sense an S50 heading for early retirement :(

10 points for effort though.

Keep us posted how it all comes together (or apart).

Hmmmm maybe so...

Maybe he should look at atleast doing MLS gasket and arp headstuds / bolts ... Would be fine with those at that boost level. (quite cheap to do as well)

If it does pop you can always just do it afterwards.

If your talking about forging it later on .. give me a yell as I have all the costings / options you will need for your internals.

I'm sure the engine will be fine on 5psi. It's no back yard project, quite a lot of people are involved that know exactly what they're doing and have done similar things hundreds of times before. But if it blows up - it blows up, then I'll get a m52b28 and turbo that.

Hybrid, could you send me some information/prices in a PM. Thanks :).

This for me is by far the most interseting thred so far.

good on you for having a go man.

keep us posted id really love to do that to my S50 but had kind of flaged it because of the whole stering hitting the down pipe thing.

been thinking of just going the super charger path but would so prefer a dirty big turbo. :D

Guest Rick James

been thinking of just going the super charger path

MUCH easier in an RHD engine bay.

Hybrid, could you send me some information/prices in a PM. Thanks :).

done

Yeah it would be a heck of a lot easier with a SC, I considered going down that path but theres much more potential with a turbo system. If you do plan on ever going turbo be prepared to go without your car for quite a while, mines been gone for about four months now :(.

I've got some more pictures that I'll resize and post tonight.

Ok here's some new pictures:

The intercooler is mounted/hooked up to the turbo:

Posted Image

Top view of engine with a bit of explanation of bits:

Posted Image

Fuel pressure regulator/extra injectors:

Posted Image

Edited by ecko_complex

nice work dude :)

What duty cycle do they reckon your injectors will run ?

All good stuff man.

well done keep it up.

if and when i decide to make a whole lot more power my baby will be going off the road for a long time also,

If you'r gonna do somthing may as well do it right the first time.

i like the injectors in the cooler pipe thing but surely it would make more sense to just do six big buggers and a link or somthing along those lines"more tuneabilty =more power + more reliaibilty"

Edited by btccm3

unfortunitly link wont support vanos control .. you'll need a SM4 Autronic or Motec m8 ECU. Or a TSI piggy back and retain vanos control on the original ECU.

The way the injectors are at the moment is definably temporary. When I get the cash injectors/ecu will be the first on my list. As for the ECU, MicroTech has been recommended so I'll probably go with that.