Sign in to follow this  
ecko_complex

E36 M3 Turbo

As I've said, it's only running very low boost with the current setup. We're talking 5-6psi on a cold day. Once I get the right injector/ECU setup it will run 7-8psi which will be a good balance. If I ruin the stock compression ratio then it will ruin the whole effect of the car, it pulls hard in 5th at 50kmh which is what I will be driving at 90% of the time anyway (honestly :ph34r:). Maybe when I can afford an e46 m3 I'll make the e36 into a monster hp car :D.

With the Link ECU, does it plug straight in or do you need to buy all their sensors? The Microtech one "plugs" straight in, and the guy that had a large input into its design will do the tuning.

As for the cost of things so far, it has been about 10k in kit and 2k in labour. I'll find out if it's all worth it next week...

boost level will be determined by your engine (compression ratio) not you! Your tuner will (or should) have a microphone attached, which will tell him when it starts detonating, and timing/boost will have to be trimmed back. I would be surprised if you can squeeze in more than 5 or 6 pounds without problems.Even 5 pounds should be good for about 90hp on a standard engine. Keep us posted, it will be interesting!

boost level will be determined by your engine (compression ratio) not you! Your tuner will (or should) have a microphone attached, which will tell him when it starts detonating, and timing/boost will have to be trimmed back. I would be surprised if you can squeeze in more than 5 or 6 pounds without problems.Even 5 pounds should be good for about 90hp on a standard engine. Keep us posted, it will be interesting!

Of course, but these are just rough figures I've been told :P.

With the Link ECU, does it plug straight in or do you need to buy all their sensors? The Microtech one "plugs" straight in, and the guy that had a large input into its design will do the tuning.

As for the cost of things so far, it has been about 10k in kit and 2k in labour. I'll find out if it's all worth it next week...

Microtech dont make a "pluggin" ecu for any BMW's. Infact they dont make pluggin ecu's at all. They do have a couple of adapter looms for skyline and rx7 I beleive but not for bmw's.

As far as I am aware there are no pluggin ecu's for your car by any manufacturer. With the degree of sophistication involved with the BMW Vanos, it seems that there are a very limited number of aftermarket ecu's available that can control it properley and it doesnt look like the Microtech ecu's have the ability to control variable valve timing at all.

The Ecu's I know of that can run dual VANOS are the MoTec M800, Autronic SM4, Linkplus G3 and Pectel SQ-6M. In addition to these are the various piggy back ecu's but the VANOS is generally still only controlled by the factory ECU.

As you can see there arent that many. The Link G3 and Autronic SM4 are at the more affordable end of the scale and would probably be your best option for a full replacement ecu.

The car is looking good though, looking forward to seeing another S50 turbo on the road :)

I've got some more pictures, it's pretty much done :). We turned the car on for the first time yesterday and it ran perfect, which is definably a bonus. The exhaust wasn't on and it sounded like a Harley ^_^, but I didn't get a video :(. The computer is getting done next week so she'll be up and running early next week I assume, then I'll get some videos and a dyno sheet.

Here's a fairly high-res picture of the engine:

Posted Image

Here's what the front looks like:

Posted Image

I've had to lose the fog lights and put caps there instead, but it doesn't look too bad I don't think. I'll get them painted eventually...

The best part is that the intercooler is well hidden so that will deflect the eyes of a few cops and maintain a stock look.

I'm thinking of getting a personalized number plate, anyone got any good ideas? I'm thinking "M3TRBO" but I dunno...

you will probably have problems with the big rubber elbow blowing off the plenum under boost. Even 5lbs boost over such a large area will put a lot of force on that big hoseclip!

you will probably have problems with the big rubber elbow blowing off the plenum under boost. Even 5lbs boost over such a large area will put a lot of force on that big hoseclip!

Yeah that's one of our main concerns. I've got a few pics of intake manifolds that I've given to the fabricator so a proper one shouldn't be too far off...

I think the trumpets to plenum will be okay. For the elbow you should get away with fabricating a similar shaped elbow out of ali, and welding it directly to the plenum. Not an easy shape to make, but probably a lot less work than the custom plenums which seem fashionable for these conversions,and should work at least as well.

just do what were doing if you have the room.

alloy weld up the stock filter side intake hole then cut a hole in the bottom.

you will have to relocate the intake temp sensor and vaccum plugs.

The stock s50 intake plenium is actually an ass design for boosted applications. As the air has to take a full 180 degree turn on bank one. With this new design you have a far better chance of distrobuting the air evenly over the six cylinders and you keep near stock air volume.

see below for what our final product will look like.

Posted Image

The stock s50 intake plenium is actually an ass design for boosted applications. As the air has to take a full 180 degree turn on bank one. With this new design you have a far better chance of distrobuting the air evenly over the six cylinders and you keep near stock air volume.

this design still turns the air through 180 degrees to cylinder one! That said, I think it is not necessarily a bad design anyway. If you are concerned about uneven flow across the intakes (and on high boost you SHOULD consider it) then a lambda or EGT in each exhaust primary (the flanges are actually drilled and tapped to put a probe in on the stock S50 manifold) will tell you how each cylinder is running,and individual trimming can be done to "tune" each cylinder properly, as long as your ECU has this facility.

This bad boy (pictured) is a Pectel SQ6M, and will drive both vanos (it will actually drive four!) as well as eight ignition coils (internal drivers- so no external modules needed) twelve injectors, as well as pretty much anything thing else you can throw at it. Not exactly cheap though!!!!

post-764-1194322409_thumb.jpg

Edited by conrod

Just a wee update. The injector computer was finished today, they had a bit of trouble finding the RPM signal wire but luckily I found out where it is on Bimmer Forums (pin 1 on diagnostic plug, or pin 20 on the plug behind the tachometer). There's a bit of a coolant leak, I think it may be from the radiator as there's no coolant around the water feed taps :-/...

Edit:

Just a radiator bung, phew :rolleyes:. Dyno on monday ^_^.

Edited by ecko_complex

Turns out the rubber bend to the intake manifold pops off under boost, kinda saw that coming though. A stainless one is getting made this week. Other than that, it all runs perfect :).

Update

Stainless manifold has been made:

Posted Image

And dyno/tuning next week :D.

Edited by ecko_complex

Get the car back tomorrow, along with dyno sheets. Looking forward to it, has been upgraded with a miltek exhaust, short shifter and new head unit as well. Will be a different car :ph34r:. I've been told that its running 6 psi.

Edited by ecko_complex

It's complete!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll take some nice pictures/videos and put them in rides showroom.

If anyone wants to come have a look or ride give me a text on 027 668 7199. Rides cost $10 (just kidding).

It's complete!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'll take some nice pictures/videos and put them in rides showroom.

If anyone wants to come have a look or ride give me a text on 027 668 7199. Rides cost $10 (just kidding).

If you ever drive her up to Auckland, let us know! Yes would be nice to see the dyno chart.

im not to sure i should come for a ride as im pretty sure ill convince myself spending another 15G on my m3 is a brilliant idea <_< but i guess its only money at the end of the day ^_^

im not to sure i should come for a ride as im pretty sure ill convince myself spending another 15G on my m3 is a brilliant idea <_< but i guess its only money at the end of the day ^_^

step up man you could be aucklands answer !

hahaha jj :D

do it ... we need more turbos round here :D

also good to see its all come together for you dude ... keen to see more pics / dyno stuffs .. :)