Sign in to follow this  
hobbsie

all 4 corners

So you have all herd this question a thousand times before but here it goes. My 1990 e30 really needs some new shocks so I took it in to PnH suspension in hamilton for some ideas and pricing and the guy suggested to do the front as a start using kyb's $550 fitted and aligned.

Reading through the posts it sounds like kyb's are crap I think my dad can get me koni's for slighty cheaper than retail so maybe that would be the way to go. How hard is this to do yourself? Also the car has lovell lowering springs would these need to be changed? :unsure:

Cheers

Dont need to change the springs. Get bilstiens and you'll never have to touch them again ( for a long time anyway ) and you should be really happy with the handling. Youll need them shorted so your springs stay nice and tight, and you will be able to swap them yourself, just hire some spring compressor's.. should be half a days work if you have half an idea what your doing.

Edit i dont know anything about koni's ive heard good and bad things about them. Bilstiens dont seem to get any complaints. Wish i had some!!

Edited by Chris C

Springs are a good upgrade to go with the shocks. Get H & R - they are the best (and we have tried them all).

You can get a deal through Bimmersport with H & R also. Details posted soon.

I did a complete replacement with KONI adjustables on the '89 4 door E30 - 15 minutes off our average trip time to Welly.

Now I know what a new E30 was like to drive - well worth the dracmas'.

Paul - E30

Springs are a good upgrade to go with the shocks. Get H & R - they are the best (and we have tried them all).

You can get a deal through Bimmersport with H & R also. Details posted soon.

Thanks everyone for the info, so koni's with HR springs is the go? what else should I be replacing when upgrading the suspension.

New bumpstops if they don't come with them, and if your bushings are in bad condition, would be a good time to sort that out and enjoy the new ride.

Bin the Bilsteins, had an OE set ( in Subaru) will never buy another. They stick (body jams in housing) so you get a sh*t (harsh) ride that drives you nuts on coarse chip. (ask Cain we were talking about it yesterday)

Then they let go when you push it and they go soggy just when you dont want them to.

Had my rebuilt 4 times in 20,000 km to try and get rid of sticking and fading , high maintenance in a road car and not up to it when push comes to shove.

Had 3 set of Koni's in alfas and BMWs was tempted to put them in my ute but went KYB- they were good but only lasted 30,000km

Ones in Alfa did 200,000 km with just 1 rebuild

Currently have 2 sets of Konis and have clocked up close to 100,000 km on both - still just perfect

GO KONI Sport Adjustable

yes Konis are great shocks but Im not sure how you can compare OE Bilsteins on a Subaru with the Bilstein HD or Sports that many ppl have had installed in their E30's. I have had Bilsteins in several cars and they have always been a great shock - nothing like you are describing in your post.

So you have all herd this question a thousand times before but here it goes. My 1990 e30 really needs some new shocks so I took it in to PnH suspension in hamilton for some ideas and pricing and the guy suggested to do the front as a start using kyb's $550 fitted and aligned.

Reading through the posts it sounds like kyb's are crap I think my dad can get me koni's for slighty cheaper than retail so maybe that would be the way to go. How hard is this to do yourself? Also the car has lovell lowering springs would these need to be changed? :unsure:

Cheers

If you can get Koni's for a bit cheaper then that might be the way to go. I would still price some Biltein sports from the likes of Turner Motorsport (USA) as they are quite competitive in price even taking exchange rate into consideration. I would try whatever shocks you decide on with the lovells first to see what you think - its a minimal cost to change springs really. If you don't like the Lovells then as some other members have said H&R's have a good reputation. As for other parts I would have ALL the bushes including your anti roll bar buses checked for wear. Finally after all that is done get a wheel alignment done. Finally, check your rear shock mounts as these are a weak area on the E30 and cheap enough to replace.

As said, if you're going to do the shocks then you might as well replcae the front control arm bushes with some powerflex or similar brand, makes the steering feel a whole lot more precise and responsive.

I'm using koni sports, jamex superlows, and powerflex bushes and I likey

:rolleyes:

Edited by Mr. Pink

I'm also perfectly happy with the Bilstein sports (in conjunction with H&R Sport springs). I have had in my last two cars, and they have behaved nothing like what 3pedals is talking about, and have been very compliant even on NZ's rough chipseal roads.

I'm sure the Koni's are as good, but the point I am making here is not to let one person's opinion based on what seems one bad experience on a completely different application cloud your judgement, when there is plenty of more than overwhelming evidence to the contrary elsewhere.

Cheers

Grant

Running Koni Race shocks in the e30 at softest setting for around the road and Eibach 525/700 pound springs .. very firm but not harsh.

You could run a med setting on the shocks and 350/500 pound spring ? Would give a nice combination.

the e46 runs 450/550 KW variant 2 coil overs ... again .. firm but not naff.

OK, after reading through this I have some questions..... :unsure:

So koni shocks are good right? Where can I get them at a good price & fitted(I'm in Auckz)

I have standard King springs at the moment, not too low, not too high...but I want then lower...

Also, at the moment my left rear is squeeking a tad bit when I push on it...seems to be shocks... <_<

I just want it a tad bit lower, NOT full tucked under the fender. So some advice from you peeps will be wicked man....

Cheers B)

Edited by Kpax

My Bilstein looks similar to the one you have pictured and haven't had the issue you have - but bagging bilstein based on the service or in your case the lack of service you got from BNT is a bit like bagging Dunlop based on bad service received from one branch of Beaurepairs. Are you running a little 100% antifreeze in the strut body - this helps transfer heat from the shock to the strut.

No - lubricating them is not what I meant - the antifreeze goes into the strut body to aid in cooling the shock - helps pass the heat from the shock through to the strut. Sounds like you have been through a war zone with Subaru !!