Sign in to follow this  
jjs

What petrol do you use?

Petrol  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I go to BP purely for the AA pts. I'd go to shell for Flybuys but don't have a card.

If i have the e36 M3 then it's always 98oct at BP unless i'm really low on gas.

In the 4x4 i just use 91 as thats recomended on the engine specs.

I find that with 98 the M3 drives a little smoother than when i use 95/96.. There also seems to be a bit less 'delay' in engine pick-up when i give it a proper 'drive' :).

Laurence.

Have done the comparisons over 900km runs repeatedly, tried 91, & 95.

We have 2 E30's 320i - '89 4 door @ 180,000km - new Koni's - (2 years owned) with a single 2.25 inch pipe right thru' -

consistantly get 32 to 34.8 mpg with the '89.

Best I got was 38mpg over 4 hours driving.

The '88 2 door @ 133,000km (10 weeks owned) standard twin pipe, I get 28.4mpg towing 250kg trailer and 31.8mpg without - average speeds around 90 to 96kph - in both cases.

I tried 95 octane - did not notice any significant difference.

I record averages on every tank, however, speeds below 90kph the economy goes out the door.

NOT using overdrive ( D ) under 60kph gives us at least 1 mpg better off.

We short shift both cars and only jump into " D " over 65kph, (downshift @ 2500rpm open road)

Real fun cars to drive ..........

Paul - E30 is !

BP Ultimate if I'm paying full price, alternatively the 15 cent discounted 95 octane fule from Pakin Save.

Is it worth it, probably not - the 740 gets slightly bettter economy on 98. I guess if i was worried about Petrol costs I would have a Suzuki Swift and not a V8.

Why BP? - they have Wild Bean Cafe, and a nice eco themed logo, and they have Ultimate!

Why Ultimate? (98) - coz my BMW V8 engine is worth it, and afterall it is ULTIMATE, just can't better that.

Tried running our Mitsubishi Outlander on 98 once, the manual says 91. Car ran like crap - burn't fuel like you wouldn't beleive - about 5km / litre!

I usually hit the 98 at the pumps, in most cases, BP or Shell...

If you really loved your gf, you would give her 100 roses at valentines, not 99...the same goes with my BMW...if you really love your car, only the best will do...

I usually hit the 98 at the pumps, in most cases, BP or Shell...

If you really loved your gf, you would give her 100 roses at valentines, not 99...the same goes with my BMW...if you really love your car, only the best will do...

Going by the same logic, if you really loved your gf, you'd give her more than just 100 roses!

My manual says 91 so thats what I'm gonna give it.

The family toyota takes 91 because it doesn't care what you feed it it just keeps going the same.

Edited by tire

If you really loved your gf, you would give her 100 roses at valentines, not 99

haha... ask any Asian (Chinese anyway, not sure about other Asians), 99 is better than 100. As 99 means forever.

Going by the same logic, if you really loved your gf, you'd give her more than just 100 roses!

I did mention on a single case of "valentines day"...dont try twisting my arm bro :P

haha... ask any Asian (Chinese anyway, not sure about other Asians), 99 is better than 100. As 99 means forever.

Im mostly chinese (by blood)...when you say "99" in chinese, it sounds like "forever" in chinese...its a bit like "sun" and "son" in english...

98 from BP. I get 16 cents a litre off from New World shopping so it's pretty reasonable.

16cents? Are you sure? Which new world do you shop at to get this? I have chafers new world receipt from tonights shopping right in front of me and its offering me 4c per litre off (bp) :wacko:

I use Gull 96 only cos its the only petrol station about. Otherwsie every second week I get 98 from BP with my 10c off a litre voucher from new world. I get an extra 25miles off 98 so id say it works out the same.

Again, how are you getting 10c per litre off? My new world only gives 4c off...

Awhile back even Countdown here offered 10c per litre off if you bought over a certain amount. Maybe it's an Auckland thing.

The car I had before my 540i was a Nissan Stagea 2.5 Litre 4WD Wagon. It LOVED drinking gas! I did a test, ran it for 1000 kms onm Shell 91, then for 1000 kms on Shell 95. Overall the cost was the same - the extra cost of the gas was equalled by the cost savings thru better economy, AND the car seemed to respond better to the 95 octanr, so i run 95 in my BMW and my Pug 206gti. Even the lawnmower and chainsaw get 95, as the guy at the chainsaw shop said they have a lot more 'problems' with saws running on 91. I have heard some people say that Shell is some of the worst gas, but I go there because of the Woolworths 4c vouchers and Flybuys - maybe I need to shop at Pakn'nSave and get BP vouchers! :)

I find that 95 would be better because there is only a 5c difference between 95 and 91 at the pumps.....As the price keeps going up the difference goes down...So over a tank it may only be a couple of dollars difference and if 95 does give better fuel economy then itll soon work out better than 91 $'s per km.

That is my thought on it. Correct me if you think i am wrong.