Sign in to follow this  
Gus

E30 318is

ive just been wondering....has anyone ever seen any e30 318is's around? more from the point of view of buying one? i reckon it would be cool......any leads?

Guest Spargo

I've looked at the last 3 for sale in akl, and one in welly:

They're awsome cars, and i'd love one.

1st one in akl, was an import, smelt like crap, was in bad condition, 14" bbs sold for 9K

2nd was okay, better condition, was on bottlecaps with NO options, sold for 9.5K

3rd, was the best. Best E30 i've ever seen. No doubt. Immaculate in everyway, cloth interior, only option was electrics + sunroof, and 15" bbs wheels. It has had the full kit as well (iS lip). Sold for 12K. Wished i'd been able to justify buying it, but when you can pick ip an M325i for less...

One in welly was awesome, but for a massive amount of rust. Awesome in every other way

Erm, and we all know about Nick's 318iS turbo, woth hybrid M-tec I, M-tec II kit. Badass car.

bugger.....thats an awful lot for a 1.8L 4 cylinder!.....ah well..back on with the thinking cap

So what is so great bout these 318is's u speak of? ill haf to plead ignorance :huh:

1795ccm

4 cylinders

4 coils

4 valves per cylinder

4 point Motronic injection v1.7

2 throttle valves

Sodium filled exhaust valves

Forged crank and conrods

Headers

Getrag 240 manual 5 speed gearbox

2 doors

Manual sunroof

Manual windows

20/14.5 mm swaybars

Power steering

1125 kg according to manual, weight says 1140

like a mini mini m3.....handles well......relatively powerful and light.......they look good (with mtec kit and 15" weaves....)....and i was just hoping they were gonna be cheap!

I bid on one at Turners damaged auctions about 6 months ago ,someone had tried to steal the radio & caused an electrical fire in the process.A wrecker from down the line(S.D. I think) bought it for 3K,It needed a new dash,heater controls & roof lining but was in OK condition otherwise.Last I heard it was still complete.

Why dont you just throw an M44 from a smashed up Ti into a E30 & build your own? Not exactly the same but near enough :mosh:

really? graeme....i like this idea! how "bolt in" would it be? any idea how much wrecked ti's go for? or just engines?

and do you have any specs for the m44.....like weights and torque? not much i imagine! although it seems a pity if doing an engine swap not to do something decent....and what box could you use with the m44? cos i doubt could find a manual one....but still..cool idea

damn, these 318is's sure do sound good.... ur makin me want 1!

hmmmm...... B)

Guest Spargo

M44 is rubbish. Crap inlet manifold, cast crank etc etc. But the upside is, with a knock sensor built in, you can s/c them :mosh:

and do you have any specs for the m44.....like weights and torque? not much i imagine! although it seems a pity if doing an engine swap not to do something decent....and what box could you use with the m44? cos i doubt could find a manual one....but still..cool idea

I dont have exact specs on the engine,but the IS & Ti have the same 0-100 time & the Ti has a higher top speed despite carrying more weight.The box from a facelift 316-318 E30 will fit or find a manual Ti

M42 140hp @6000rpm 129lb/ft @4500 weight-100kg

M44 140hp @6000rpm 133lb/ft @4300 weight-102kg

A E36 Ti wreck will cost anything from $1000 for one thats a real mess, to $4000 for one in perfect conditon that has failed its VIN

1795ccm

4 cylinders

4 coils

4 valves per cylinder

2 throttle valves

Are you sure this is correct for an e30 318?, I''m using a 318 e30 inlet manifold on my 2002, it's only got one throttle body and the 318 head looks identical to a 2002 head - single cam 8 valves

1795ccm

4 cylinders

4 coils

4 valves per cylinder

2 throttle valves

Are you sure this is correct for an e30 318?, I''m using a 318 e30 inlet manifold on my 2002, it's only got one throttle body and the 318 head looks identical to a 2002 head - single cam 8 valves

the E30 318is had a different engine to the non 'is' model.

The 318is had a twin cam M42 engine, as opposed to the normal M10 or M40 318i engine.

Cheers

you will most likely be using one from the m10....pre facelift 318....the 318is has a different engine m42 and the facelift 318 use the m40

Suprisingly enough, I was talking to a guy last night that actually does own one of these. I havnt seen it but its Black, Lowered on 17"s with tints and your typical sacked out sound system. I wouldnt mind it tho, sounds quite nice. Only problem is its Auto :blink: gutted huh!

Guest Andrew

You lie.

No iS came with a slushbox. :finger:

I was about to say that - Its a normal 318 - sounds like BMW360 or BEEMN before he got his 730i

post-2-1086152619.jpg

so how much of a mission would it be to slap a ti engine in my manual 316i?

not worth the hassle i spose?

ive just been wondering....has anyone ever seen any e30 318is's around? more from the point of view of buying one? i reckon it would be cool......any leads?

There seem to be more E30 318IS`s around in Germany.They have their own website- www.318is.de.

post-2-1086153969.jpg

Guest Andrew

no - hell no - thats a horrible idea.

Why a horrible idea Andrew? It would thrash a 320 and handle better too...

Guest Andrew

Why a horrible idea Andrew? It would thrash a 320 and handle better too...
OK I realise a lot of peoples 320s are slow - but they don't have to be.

What is the point really - it will still be super slow.