Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zwilling

Gearbox conversion

Guest Zwilling

This weekend i'm heading up to Palmy to get help from Tim with an auto to manual conversion on my bimmer (E30). I plan to document this process for the general good of mankind so will have my digicam with me. Afterwards we'll be downing a few i'd imagine.

Anyone interested in helping or joining us (with the car or the drinking)???

One thing I was warned about NOT forgetting to do was adding a bearing (or bush) that goes on the crankshaft (or the flywheel) - Does anyone know what that part is if applicable???

Also, i'm having a bitch of a time trying to find some new seals and bearings to replacing the olds ones while the manual box is out. Anyone know where to get these in a hurry???

BTW: Will have an auto box spare afterwards...

Edited by Zwilling

looking at that article, think its a LH drive.

the pedal box is hellofa alot harder than what most ppl think. i have done this 4 or so times already. the thing that pisses me off the most is the brake bar that travels across the car.

my article i wrote is the cruse control fix. in the transmission section

looking at that article, think its a LH drive.

the pedal box is hellofa alot harder than what most ppl think. i have done this 4 or so times already. the thing that pisses me off the most is the brake bar that travels across the car.

my article i wrote is the cruse control fix. in the transmission section

Yeah Tim you're right, is for LHD. I never stopped to think about that.

Also, good effort on the article on BEN.

Cheers

thanks

it took like 3months for the guy to post it up on the site.

also it has the wire colours that the guy in the article cant remember.

i think off memory one is green/yellow and green/black

One thing I was warned about NOT forgetting to do was adding a bearing (or bush) that goes on the crankshaft (or the flywheel) - Does anyone know what that part is if applicable???

The pilot bearing - goes in the snout of the crank to support the end of the gearbox input shaft

i was wondering what that was when my mate was playing around try to put that bearing in.

i thought that was already there. but then cum to think about it suppose you dont need to do that on a torque convertor

Guest Zwilling

Sorted, so that's what I gotta make sure comes with the manual box...

i was wondering what that was when my mate was playing around try to put that bearing in.

<_< Edited by Zwilling

Guest Zwilling
:angry: Easier said than done, i'm not having much fun finding bearings here in Welly...the dude at German automotive in chch stated that bearings and seals have to be genuine...that leaves Shelleys who can supply everything but they charge and arm and a leg and the bears have to be sourced from germany (10days) Edited by Zwilling

Guest Zwilling

Tim, was just chatting to the BMW ppl in Palmy, that pilot bearing thingee that the manual has but auto doesn't is what they call a spigot, a bush like thing (that's what she described it to me as). I'm going to get them to order in the stuff for pickup sat.

I've still not received the bloddy box yet, am getting a little annoyed that i've not got any feedback lately from the seller too...

oh dear.

i have a 320 gearbox at my place. but it needs a new clutch plate.

ppl call it many things. like i call it a output bearing. cause it sits in the output of the crankshaft.

do an ollie. (tell you later)ppl who where in taupo know what i mean.

Guest Zwilling

Got a reply from Jeff Gray European in palmy...

Spigot bearing $35

Clutch release bearing $200

Needle sleeve $40

All ex Germany 7-10 days