Sign in to follow this  
Kpax

Heater core seems to be leaking....

Hi,

I found that that the front passenger side floor was damp about three days ago. A mate at GA said it seems that the heater is leaking!!! (shite). Although yesterday it was all dry, this morning however I pulled out the carpet & it really wet, the sponges & all....I have two options :

1) Block the heater pipes & somehow drain the excees water.

2) Get a second hand core & replace it. (which sounds like a mission cos apparently you have to remove the dash)

Has anybody had this issue? I don't really mind blocking the pipes but I do use the heater now & then. Hmm, how much would a core cost & is this a big job?

Cheers

Kerashin

Common issue. Check your firewall for evil cancer.

I dont think you need to remove the dash. I swapped my heater tap and had the core out then with no problem other than getting my 6'5, 100kg frame into the passenger footwell !

Pretty easy to do aswell, Im a complete novice and I had mine out and swapped easily in a couple of hours.

Cancer....yep, found some rust when I removed the carpet (shite). Man this rust issue is bugging me now...

Ok, so I don't need to remove the dash. So now I need to know what i'm looking for so I can remove it. Think I will replace this heater core. I was told again today that this is a common problem & it is not really worth getting a brand new core.

So out come the seats & carpets, they need a clean anyway :). Does anybody have a non-leaking heater core lying around?

Cheers

Kerashin

Are you sure it's the heater and not just coming in thru the rust hole? Is the water level going down in the radiator? I've had wet floors from rust holes around the loom entry behind the glovebox.

Are you sure it's the heater and not just coming in thru the rust hole? Is the water level going down in the radiator? I've had wet floors from rust holes around the loom entry behind the glovebox.

As far as I can see, there is just surface rust but I suppose I will have to remove the glovebox to have a better look. But then again, the water level has gone down, quiet a bit & it has to be going somewhere......

Heater tap 9 times out of ten. easy to diagnose, easy to fix.

3 varietys, have them all.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

As far as I can see, there is just surface rust but I suppose I will have to remove the glovebox to have a better look. But then again, the water level has gone down, quiet a bit & it has to be going somewhere......

Bro, send me a PM, I'll send you a link to where the nuts and bolts are to remove your dash. Not hard, just fiddly and time consuming!

With the carpet out, should give it a good waterblast, comes out WONDERFUL with some soap!!

But yeah, hit me up, I've got two heater cores you can HAVE if they are the same if you wanna get those other bits and bobs from me too.

Cheers dude,

Jared.

Now I have hope that this can be fixed (so i'm less stressed,hehe), tomorrow morning I will be removing the carpet & front seat then check around the loom holes for rust, if there is then that's gonna be another mish...

So I have to remove the dash aswell??? (shite) Hope tomorrow is a sunny day :).

I will keep you guy's updated.....

Cheers

Kerashin

Edited by Kpax

Ok, so now I've removed the glovebox, front seats & the carpet, lifted up the spongy bit & SHITE, it's not just wet, it's dripping wet! It's been wet for god knows how long. I managed to clean it up a bit then it started pissing down so I just went to work.

There is some surface rust here & there, I have not found anything around the loom holes as yet but I will continue to look. I have found rust in some random places that scares me. I've located the heater bit, funny thing is, it's NOT damp around that area???

Hmm :unsure: , I guess I will find out tomorrow now that everything is out.

Cheers

Kerashin

Well today I did not do much cos I'm trying to figure out how to pull out all the sound proof spongy bits without tearing them. They are totally soaked!

After some research I found this write up:

http://e30.bmwdiy.info/passenger-water-leak/index.html.

I located the Elephant Trunk & it was fully clogged, cleaned it out & tested, yes the water from the drainage now flows out :D .sweet.

Now the mission is removing the sound proof sponge, drying out the car & repairing the rust (shite)

Cheers

Kerashin

OF THE TOPIC : Any of you guy's been for a MRI scan? I went for one today for my knee, Man it was the freakiest, coolest thing B)

I've heard of people using heatguns/hair dryers and dehumidifiers, but personally I just took the whole carpet out, waterblastered the 20years of grit and dirt, left out to dry over the fence , and then reinstall carefully.

I've heard of people using heatguns/hair dryers and dehumidifiers, but personally I just took the whole carpet out, waterblastered the 20years of grit and dirt, left out to dry over the fence , and then reinstall carefully.

Gonna get the waterblaster out this wkend B) . But drying the sound sponge is the issue, don't want it to rot!

It's a very slow process drying the felt underlay and carpet as it holds a heap of water. When I did mine (due to a leaking rear window) I found it best to remove it, lay it all out, and soak up as much as could using towels, paper, and a sponge and then just leaving it out of the car for a good week or so to dry in the sun.

It's a very slow process drying the felt underlay and carpet as it holds a heap of water. When I did mine (due to a leaking rear window) I found it best to remove it, lay it all out, and soak up as much as could using towels, paper, and a sponge and then just leaving it out of the car for a good week or so to dry in the sun.

OMG. Yes, that underlay is pretty heavy filled with water. Hmm, well it's gotta be done, then to find the root cause!

Cheers

take the rubber bung around the loom right out. i didnt find the rust in my car till i did, thankfully they managed to weld new plates in without taking the loom out :) $160

check the heater tap!!!!! youll be amazed how much water leaks from one. trust me i tried to see water come out but then i replaced it there was no more leakage!

Yo, ok to update you guy's on this...

Totally stripped the interior except for the dash, steering wheel, hand brake & gear stick & of course the drivers seat.

What I found underneath was WRONG!!, :angry: So wrong!!! Someone had done a half ass welding job with no proper finish on the driver side. So there was thick rust developing over the welded bits & they were just lil holes, DAMN :angry:

So out came the grinder & sander B) away with all the cancer. I have some neat ideas for the interior now...hehe...soon...

I had the heater running through the week...NO leaks :o

This morning I hosed her down & behold I found tiny leaks. One from behind the battery & the others from the grill vent thingy just above the battery.

So will be pulling out the dash this weekend (hopefully without breaking it) & have it sealed in the week to come.

The underlay is finally dry but man it's ugly. Anyone have a underlay thats much cleaner than mine?

Cheers

Kerashin

Don't worry about it as its under the carpet - so long as its dry it will be fine. You should be able to fix those other leaks without removing the dash. I have done a dash replacement and although its not hard, it time consuming and fiddly - better avoided if you can!! (unless you have a cracked dash thats needs replacing :-)

Well I do have a cracked dash but I don't have a replacement.... :unsure:

Thing is with those leaks, they are right up underneath the dash, I haven't removed the trimmings on the engine bay as yet...hmm...maybe there could be a way around it.

Cheers.

Dude!! Check for rust under the bottom corners of your windscreen rubbers!!

I had the heater go and fill my floor with water, then rust in firewall let water in - still leaked after fixing both - turned out to be dripping thru rust holes in windscreen surround. Common issue.

Well, this has come a long way. From supposedly being a heater core leak to a full on combat with rust.

Pretty much have done everything myself except for the welding & thanks to the excellent advice from this forum B) .

Uploaded some pics of my progress....

post-1674-1202244598_thumb.jpg

When I removed the foam underlay & carpet, IT WAS SHOCKING! Almost brought tears to my eyes, was sad to know my beloved BMW was hurting so much on the inside. All signs of rust was attacked, sanded back or cut out & welded with new panels.

post-1674-1202244856_thumb.jpg post-1674-1202244899_thumb.jpg post-1674-1202244959_thumb.jpg

I know...it's absolutely terrible & most normal people would get rid of the car, but I just could not do that to her. So everything was removed, including th dash, wiring, fuse box & all the panels in the engine bay.

& this is after 2 months.....

post-1674-1202246145_thumb.jpg post-1674-1202246250_thumb.jpgpost-1674-1202246305_thumb.jpg post-1674-1202246417_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1202246460_thumb.jpg post-1674-1202246530_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1202246567_thumb.jpg post-1674-1202246616_thumb.jpg

This was such a mission, fixing the water barrier. I think it's the dumbest thing BMW ever came up with....eventually used some black gummy stuff.

post-1674-1202246747_thumb.jpg

While I was at it, I made a cold air box B) . Fully cleaned the engine bay...in search of cancer...lol. I used some flex bog stuff to repair the cracks in the dash, then resprayed it.

I have put the dash & wiring back. Been spraying the car down in search of water leaks. Now it seems that water is coming through the cracked door rubbers, rear window rubber (which needs to be tightened) & the boot rubbers. I'm onto the boot at the moment, a few bits of surface rust here & there, all holes were welded. No pics of the boot as yet.

Well thats were i'm at so far. Quiet a bit done condsidering I had to fit this around work, bussiness, family & the lady whome has been strangley supportive :unsure: .

Should be another few weeks then she should be back on the road.....then I will join you guy's at the meets :P .

Oh, by the way, this was not VERY expensive, I know a good reasonable panelbeater & the guys at Car Colors are awesome.

Cheers

Kerashin

Edited by Kpax