Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

hits from the 70's & 80's

I was always pretty partial to The Eagles, ZZ Top, Bruce Springsteen, Genesis, the Police and Dire Straights, Australian Crawl, AC/DC, Guns and Roses when i was a young fella, and early teenager in the 80's.

Edited by Grant

Guest 540Si

'we built this city' - starship has been stuck in my head for 5 days now

This was recently voted the worst lyrics of all time - but I have to admit I've always liked it!

Gets the occasional thrash on Singstar when horribly boozed too :rolleyes:

Carly Simon

Hunters and Collectors

Chisel

Boomstown Rats - I hate Mondays

Springsteen

even a little Fleetwood Mac

Neil Diamond!!

ACDC

GnR

I could go on ....

So who is gonna make a Bimmersport Compilation CD then? And you are forgetting Nik Kershaw - The Riddle!

Electric Light Orchestra gets my vote. Catchiest songs ever!

Ok guys - I have a license for Promotional Tracks - you come up with the "Bimmersport Top 20 - 70's", and the the same for the 80's, BUT BUT you have to come up with the Top 20 Best NZ Artist Tracks out of a list I will post.

We will run it under - The Bimmersport Sound Collection - on the first week of December we will close it - report what the tracks will be,

Ollie - how about you guys create a competition - the CD Pack will be the Prize.

I will post a 70's - 80's - NZ Top Charted Hits List and you pick from that.

The Mix will be in Sequential Play on one disk, in Data format (mp3)

Yes its a GO.

No its a dead loss and I will go and watch Coro' Street.

Paul - E30

i have some of those on vinyl!......I have so many tunes in my head,little feat,eagles,rolling stones,little known band atlanta rythym section....the longer i think about it the more overwhelmed i become.

Damn straight! Simply too many to list. May I suggest 1980s tunes by geographic origin

(Kiwi,Aussie, Euro, British, American...)

Those 80's tunes simply need to be crankin' out of an E30!

Let's see: Euroland

Falco (Rock me Amadeus) - All time fave

AHA (Take on Me)

Brit:

Duran Duran (Girls on Film, The Reflex, Notorious, A View To A Kill)

Genesis/Phil Collins - too many great tunes...

David Bowie - (Let's Dance, Cat People, Dance Magic Dance) and the rest of it...

The Police - almost everything

Wham - pure cheeeese

Pet Shop Boys (What Have I Done to Deserve This? It's A Sin, Heart, West End Girls)

Boomtown Rats (I Don't Like Mondays)

Kiwi:

Patea Maori Club - Poi E

The Dudes

Hello Sailor

Dave Dobbyn and Herbs - Slice of Heaven

Aussie:

Icehouse (Electric Blue, Great Southern Land, etc)

Real Life (Send Me an Angel)

INXS - Suicide Blonde, too many to mention

Midnight Oil

Men At Work

America:

Billy Idol

Devo (Now WHIP IT!!!)

Madonna

Prince

SUB CATEGORY: 80s Cockrock

Bonjovi, Guns n Roses, Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue

Simply too many too get down, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Many more to come!

I like this man.

^^ All of the above rocks

I think its the weather. Old school rock owns the stereo over summer.

Most new music is so depressing.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You aint seen nothing yet

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Taking Care of Business

Bloody mean as songs.

Where do i start?

Wasn't even born in the 80's.

How did you get into 30% of my Track library ?

All that has been listed is good but what about the stuff a bit to the left of mainstream, Stuff like

Shriekback - All lined up , Nemesis

Depeche Mode - every thing counts, Photographic

Yazoo - dont go , situation

Sisters of mercy -This corrosion, Dominion

Thomas Dolby - windpower, Blinded with science

Eurythmics - paint a rumour , Aqua

The Shamen - ebeneezer goode , Move any mountain

And thats just a quick browse through one CD rack.

Bring back the 80s and Fast E30s

• Like 1

I remember my parents used to listen to 80's nonstop when I was a kid, I used to yell at them "This is sh*t! Can we listen to S-Club 7?" Now look I've got a couple of hundred 80' songs.

But yeah basically for me I put it into two groups:

classic/big hair/80's metal/rock ----- Bon Jovi/Skid Row/Whitesnake/Alice Cooper

synth/city slicker 80's ----- Spandau Ballet/Culture Club/Foreigner

Anyone going to Bon Jovi tonight or Rock to Wellington?

Not a bad collection for a kid born in the 90's.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

On 11/22/2007 at 5:53 PM, kiwi535 said:

i have some of those on vinyl!......I have so many tunes in my head,little feat,eagles,rolling stones,little known band atlanta rythym section....the longer i think about it the more overwhelmed i become.

Holy Thread Exhumation, Batman!

Paul, I know ARS, they were very clever.  Think I've one of their albums on vinyl in my collection somewhere.

Now, for 70's in a predominantly 80's (mostly middle-of-the-road 'zm network pop) thread?  Hmmm, how about these three for starters:

Nile is still a genius!

And now a bit more 70's AOR

Right then.... see if ya'll can keep this thread south of Dec '79, eh?

Another 70s hit. Will forever be one of my favourite driving songs (idea for a new thread?) :) 

curious, they've taken footage from the original Gone in 60 Seconds... 

these guys are touring here shortly...  this was a huge hit in '79

Jools Holland Esq on keys, and whatabout their backing sings garb!

Edited by Olaf

in the late 70's we had interesting developments.  Against a backdrop that included hippies and quickly transitioned to Kill ALL Hippies, (and soon punk as a complete backlash), some clever europeans had been (quite literally) plugging away in their studios, and enjoying some commercial success... airplay in addition to Baby Boomers showing off their flash new HiFi systems (accessible in the 1970's for the first time ever) with whatever fine-sounding vinyl they could get their hands on... and toward the end of the decade, increasingly affordable synthesisers.   The race was on.  

The Germans seemed to celebrate their high speed concrete motorways with the global hit 'Autobahn',, and the Frenchman... well, he was picked up by French airline UTA and spent his advert money on wild disembodied heads music videos.. in 1976!  And a crazy veeeeeeeee-neck jumper.

Meanwhile Bowie had decided - after shovelling a mountain of charlie up his hooter (and slipped in creation of a couple of great albums such as Young Americans and Station to Station) - to shoot through from the states to in search of pastures new. 

You've all heard Station to Station, so I'll put Stay (from the same album) here instead... oh lordy, GREAT players, funk, swing, this song is virtuoso Bowie.  And a stark contrast to the Frenchman and the Germans, who seemed a bit pedestrian.

Now Bowie has immersed himself in Berlin at Hansa Studios (with a steady supply of smack), producing the three coolest albums of his very cool career.  And this is where it gets odd; yes in a truth that's stranger than fiction, they all start thinking about trains!
Iggy Pop (who's been hanging out in Berlin with Bowie), also thinking about trains matybe, with his masterpiece The Passenger... 

And now the Germans now start singing (robotically chanting?) about the Trans Europe Express... (inspired by Station to Station?), and in an odd twist they plug David Bowie and Iggy Pop, and even give them a cameo in their new music video! 

and Bowie gets further out there in Berlin (it's still Cold War Berlin)... and he's getting even more brilliant in the studio with Brian 'Squelchy' Eno!  Just listen to Sound and Vision, it's astonisihing more than forty years later.  You know that track backwards so here's Joe the Lion:

Perhaps he's taking stock, or thinking about his next move?

The Germans (Kraftwerk) clearly got a hipness boost from all of this, as The Man Machine contained the timeless classic The Model.

Meanwhile, in North London a nerdy guy sitting in his bedroom mixed in the Bowie influence and came up with something very unusual...

... And some lads from South London were clearly influenced by Bowie (and earlier Roxy Music)... and in 1979 they released Quiet Life (this is a later video for the album's re-release)

Oh man, it's enough to explode the heads of MoR radio listeners!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm quite keen on Blue Oyster Cult. Most of their better work was released during the 70s... you'll be familiar with big hits like Dont Fear The Reaper, Burnin' For You or perhaps This Ain't The Summer Of Love, so perhaps have a listen to 7 Screaming Diz-Busters or Flaming Telepaths. (Too lazy to figure out how to insert links on a phone... sorry)

• Like 1