Sign in to follow this  
Simo

BMW Club of NZ

Do many of you belong to the BMW Club of NZ, good - bad - waste of time??? Your opinions?

Yes. Value for money in my opinion. Dixi is good.

The club try to do a variety of events to include most taste. Most involve a drive of some kind.

I haven't been to much since Elise was born, been too busy.

Like almost every club i have belonged too you get out what you put in.Many club members belong to the club so they are able to get their competition license.As Cain said there is a Quarterly magazine,and club membership entitles you to a 10 percent discount on parts from BMW dealers,and some other organisations give discounts to club members.

Here is a short list from Bimmersport.

Cain, Kiwi535, RXSumo, Beemn, David, Andy246, Gus, Andrew, Ollie, M3Cab, Brent_Hartge535, Beema3 and 3pedals.

That's all I can remember on 1 coffee.

I save more than the $65 membership on buying new parts from McMillans each year.

Edited by Cain

I'm a club member too & I advertise in Dixi ( with discounts )

Cheers

Glenn

Here is a short list from Bimmersport.

Cain, Kiwi535, RXSumo, Beemn, David, Andy246, Gus, Andrew, Ollie, M3Cab, Brent_Hartge535, Beema3 and 3pedals.

That's all I can remember on 1 coffee.

I save more than the $65 membership on buying new parts from McMillans each year.

you can safely add another 50 names to that list.

Bimmersport encourages joining the BMWCC, it is an official club and has many benefits, more official events such as driver training, concours etc... and like Cain said you need to be a member of an official club to get your clubsport or race license.

Yeah my Dad, Brother and I all joined this year. Mainly as a requirement of the E30 race series. But there is alot of benefits with it.

I joined about 3 or 4 weeks ago & i am very happy with it so far, Worth every cent! :)

Everyone's friendly & i got some great info about my car....

Do many of you belong to the BMW Club of NZ, good - bad - waste of time??? Your opinions?

Thanks for the feedback, just in passing, me and a couple of mates went to the Waiuku Car Festival in the weekend, and the car clubs I saw there just made me reach......for the bucket, one had to be at least 70+ and wear funny outfits, sit behind their cars on the pavement and try to strike up conversations about their Humber Snipe or Rover 90 tank as you walked past. I had better be careful here, as one could develop torettes syndrome very easily. One really decent car was the Bugatti Type 54 Ron Bycrofts son Terry had on display, good for 160mph in its day.

Thanks for the feedback, just in passing, me and a couple of mates went to the Waiuku Car Festival in the weekend, and the car clubs I saw there just made me reach......for the bucket, one had to be at least 70+ and wear funny outfits, sit behind their cars on the pavement and try to strike up conversations about their Humber Snipe or Rover 90 tank as you walked past. I had better be careful here, as one could develop torettes syndrome very easily. One really decent car was the Bugatti Type 54 Ron Bycrofts son Terry had on display, good for 160mph in its day.

thats a pretty short sighted attitude mate..the guy youre talking about could be your grandfather now or yourself in 50 years time.They are just as keen about their cars as we are ....You may not like the cars but any club is really about the people.

My2c

thats a pretty short sighted attitude mate..the guy youre talking about could be your grandfather now or yourself in 50 years time.They are just as keen about their cars as we are ....You may not like the cars but any club is really about the people.

My2c

Just illustrating what potentially clubs can be about.........hence my initial question

Just illustrating what potentially clubs can be about.........hence my initial question

So your not keen on our wine and cheese evenings?

So your not keen on our wine and cheese evenings?

Maybe in the future Andrew

Personally I think its a valid question from Simo. His example might have lacked a little diplomacy but its not an easy subject to bring up.

Paul, you and I have spoken many times about the aloofness from the regular Wellington BMWCC members (especially towards BS members) and I know Im not the only one who's felt the cold shoulder because I dont have a sparkling three series with a comfortable rug on the rear shelf ;)

But ultimately Paul is right, you get out of it what you put in and as Cain says you certainly get your money back if you need to buy parts.

I myself havent bothered with the BMWCC for a few years because everywhere I go assumes Im still in and they give me the discount anyway. It hasnt stopped me from attending events either as the ones Ive been to have had more BS members and they have always been a very friendly bunch :D

My advice is to pay your money for the discounts and go to some events to see how you go. Just dont arrive with a screach of brakes, Led Zep blasting out the speakers and half a fag in the corner of your mouth ;)

Maybe in the future Andrew

:D that's the spirit

I've only really dealt with some of the guys at manfield events and they were all really helpful, friendly guys. Never bothered with dinners so can't comment on that crowd.

I appreciate that and good on you.But my point is that any club is more about the people in it.And just like the real world there will be some people you like and some you dont.So just join up and get into it.If you dont join the club and exert some influence the club wont change.I am sure if you turned up at a couple of events to suss it out noboody would be upset.Talk to Gerry Hodges,and ask to suss out a couple of events with a view to joining.

I get annoyed at people who say this is crap and that is crap and do nothing to change it.

I agree with Paul. There are a number of people on here that are current and ex-committee members of the BMWCC. I have been impressed with the acceptance of people regardless of age, or what they drive by the Car Club members up here.

The balance of events is excellent in my opinion. I've not been active in the last 20 months due to a new daughter, but I hope to get to a few more events now.

What kind of events would you like to see that aren't currently being done?

I intend to show up at the Breakfast this week-end, although I'll be late as I have swimming with Elise first.

Yes, I am a BMWCC member also. As a first time owner of a BMW I have found the people to be friendly and forth coming with information if asked. Get involved in club events so you can judge for yourself, is this my scene or not. I personnel have been to a few events my first a show and shine bbq and I didn't know anyone but that soon changed. Since then a grass gymkhana heaps of fun and got to know a few more people, Driver training ( thanks Cain well worth it) and the mystery cruise held not long ago, even as an organizer I still had a great day. The club event this coming Sunday to help out, plus get to have a look at the cars.

Even on this forum I have found, ask and you will receive what you seek. So when all said and done it's up to the individual in what it is they want to get out of it.That's my two penny's worth.

Allan