Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

My E30 335cc Project

Glenn, took this pic of the M30 motor showing the dizzy, it sticks up a lot above the level of the rocker cover..

WillPosted Image

thats a pic of the old type dizzy used on 2.8 and 2.5 M30 engine, the 3.5m30 uses same type as late M20 f/l e30 etc

Hi Glen ,

I have a low k M30 3.5 (fom a `90 1owner NZ new 535) put away for a special occasion.

Is this one?

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

the m30's I have seen have dizzy in front too

Glenn - what happened to the m52??

M30 just plug and play which is nice (which an 325 FL loom at least)

you can buy headers that fit M30 3.5L in to a e30 .

uk shop

Posted Image

Yes I've seen those Brent....Could be cheaper to get them made here tho, with exchange rate, freight & customs. You can get the engine mounts for the conversion in the UK too.But I'll make my own I'm not restricted by engine height because I'm not using the original manifold which sits over the rocker cover and I've got rid of the vacuum booster. I can also use better engine mounts as well. I'm not going to run the viscous coupling and fan blade either. I'm going to run 2 stage electric blower fan with 95' & 105' switches switching the air con relays for the fan. I'm probably not going to run air/con either.

I found a company in South Africa that makes the inlet manifolds for the conversion. I just have to supply him pictures with reference measurements so he can give them to me with the correct clearance angles. Thats why I'm using the spare car to do the mock up first. Doesnt matter if I scratch or dent it........ or hack it.

Ive really researched this very hard, and I just dont want to do the same old conversion that every one else has done before. I want to do something very different. It surprised me that no one else has done the brake mod that I'm going to do. Couldnt find that on any of the forums.

I know the M30 is motronic, but I'm going to convert it to distributor as in the picture Will posted, probably using a E28 front head timing cover and E28 camshaft that has a different drive on the end for the distributor.I'll just have to change the agle of the drive to get bonnet clearance I'm also considering different options. Wayne Frost from EFI Tech is looking into the alternatives for me. Cant use a DME because of the side draughts.

I also think I've found the car I'm wanting to...picking it up today to check it over.

1990 316I Coupe. Hellrot red, manual, Ricaros, momo wheel, short shift, lowered & no cracks in the dash. Belongs to a customer. I never ever thought she would part with it. She had 3 cars at one stage E36 328 manual coupe, Z3 & the E30. All Hellrot, black interiors and manuals. She sold the 328 and shes just going to keep the Z3 now.

I'll be posting pictures and documenting this whole conversion from start to finish and I'm going to try and use all OE parts where I can. Like my 318TI.

Any suggestions ??? just fire away. And if anyone wants more information.....just ask here or call me.

Cheers

Glenn

the m30's I have seen have dizzy in front too

Glenn - what happened to the m52??

I dyed my hair Gus and changed my mind. I wanted to do an easy conversion, not a V8 or Turbo

I think I'll get a good bang for my bucks with this. God knows what the HP readings will be. Especially the power to weight ratio using a 318. I know it'll sound awe'some. The M52B28 is still only a 2.8 and with the M30 I've got 3.5 litres to play with.

yea , go the M30 3.5L more torque and tunnable to 400hp if needed

Have you seen the Korman website Glenn? They fiddle around with M20/M30 engines etc, their worked carb 3.5 delivers 250hp, doesn't sound high but they say it's reliable. Have a look if interested.

http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e34m30.htm

M20 http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e34m20.htm

Edited by mr E34

Let the fun begin...

I bought this yesterday..I wont devulge how much... it'll make you cry

Less than some of the shitters on tardme

1990 316 coupe, I lady owner (another petrol head), NZ new, 200k, no rust, AC, no power steering (I'll change that) cracks in dash (I've got a mint one) the momo's coming out ( I have a mint Mtech ) manual windows and no sun roof. The towbars coming off too. The mag wheels are all mint (no scratches) with new Pirelli's. Alot of this will be getting sold once I start doing the conversion. Will start the mock up on the other car first.

Its a real mint one....just what I wanted for the project

post-1129-1201280603_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1201280780_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1201281036_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1201281176_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1201281310_thumb.jpg

Edited by botanymotorworx

Have you seen the Korman website Glenn? They fiddle around with M20/M30 engines etc, their worked carb 3.5 delivers 250hp, doesn't sound high but they say it's reliable. Have a look if intertested.

http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e34m30.htm

M20 http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e34m20.htm

Thanks for that... I'll take a look

What kind of seats are those? Red E30's look the wicked.

why would you want to get rid of the wheel! its got buttons for NOS! :D

Do you want to buy it ???

no i dont want to endanger my manifold and have it fall out the bottem of the car :rolleyes:

What kind of seats are those? Red E30's look the wicked.

They were custom made by Autosport Seats NZ Ltd.... about a $1000 she tells me

Awesome find.... I love watching projects like this unfold!

I'm subscribed for future viewing!

Guest Simon*

Awesome find.... I love watching projects like this unfold!

I'm subscribed for future viewing!

+1 B)

post-1129-1201888242_thumb.jpg

That looks better.........more purist.... I hated that momo

BTW...the towbars off too

Edited by botanymotorworx

Where you going to put the buttons for NOS now??? The other wheel was PERFECT!! :D

Will

Howdy,

Dont know exactly how far you got there with the mockup, but I have just got my E30 335ti back on the road. I f you want to know anything about the conversion just drop me a line.

Cheers,

Damo.

Howdy,

Dont know exactly how far you got there with the mockup, but I have just got my E30 335ti back on the road. I f you want to know anything about the conversion just drop me a line.

Cheers,

Damo.

Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind. But I'm pretty well sorted now... I think

I have my project sorted, just trying to find the right motor & gearbox for the project now.

I have a few leads I'm following up on motors. Might not try and bother finding the ZF tho. I'm told they are an arse to drive with. Got all the info coming from Bogg Brothers on carb set ups. But I need a motor to get started.

Cheers

Glenn

What ZF were you looking for ? e36 based one or older style one ?