Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

My E30 335cc Project

What ZF were you looking for ? e36 based one or older style one ?

Unsure Josh...just was told the ZF was close ratio, but I could settle for standard 5 speed to fit the M30

I understood that 5th gear in the ZF was 1:1 and the standard box was .8:1 in fifth which will effect my final diff ratio

Unsure Josh...just was told the ZF was close ratio, but I could settle for standard 5 speed to fit the M30

I understood that 5th gear in the ZF was 1:1 and the standard box was .8:1 in fifth which will effect my final diff ratio

you mean getrag 265 with dog leg 1st and 1:1 top .

you want a getrag 260/6 86 onwards (better) or 260/5 pre 86 from any m30 engine

there also is getrag 280 used in M5 and M6 etc

Well things are now on the go

I pick up a 635 CSI motor (10:1 comp) today and the getrag 260/5. I have the E32 sump & oil pump and the mock up cars already for the fun to begin. All unnessary brackets & mounts removed from the mock up. Hydraulic boosters all in place and I also get the rest of the system today...resevoir, accumulator and pressure regulator. Next step is to make up the engine mount brackets (using E39 encaptured V8 mounts) encapturing these mounts is necessary to prevent engine moving around under acceloration & braking (very close tolerances), do the hydraulic brake, power steering & oil cooler hoses, mount and plumb up the E30 oil cooler and then on with the extractors and the manifold for the 6 X 40mm R1 Yamaha carburettors.

I'll post up some progress pictures once the engine & box is in.

This is all going to be quite different to what others have done before me, so I'll keep it all documented and keep the pictures coming.

I've also changed the thread topic to 335cc project, cc =carburettored coupe

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

Well things are now on the go

I pick up a 635 CSI motor (10:1 comp) today and the getrag 260/6. I have the E32 sump & oil pump and the mock up cars already for the fun to begin. All unnessary brackets & mounts removed from the mock up. Hydraulic boosters all in place and I also get the rest of the system today...resevoir, accumulator and pressure regulator. Next step is to make up the engine mount brackets (using E39 encaptured V8 mounts) encapturing these mounts is necessary to prevent engine moving around under acceloration & braking (very close tolerances), do the hydraulic brake, power steering & oil cooler hoses, mount and plumb up the E30 oil cooler and then on with the extractors and the manifold for the 6 X 40mm R1 Yamaha carburettors.

I'll post up some progress pictures once the engine & box is in.

This is all going to be quite different to what others have done before me, so I'll keep it all documented and keep the pictures coming.

I've also changed the thread topic to 335cc project, cc =carburettored coupe

Cheers

Glenn

All i can say is ...wow...6 40 mm R1 yamaha carbies mikunis?or keihin?6 flared intake trumpets?they will be fun to sychronise Edited by kiwi535

All i can say is ...wow...6 40 mm R1 yamaha carbies mikunis?or keihin?6 flared intake trumpets?they will be fun to sychronise

Synchronising is easy... its the rest thats going to create havock... oil cooler, hydralic brake booster system, suspension, manifolds, engine mounts, plenum chamber, CAI, Ignition system and the list goes on ....and on...and on

I'm going to try and get the Keihin's

Not many bike wreckers are willing to split them up

Gettin there :blink:

Been at work since 3.00 this morning

Motor and gearbox are in the hole....sh*t its a tight fit...now the critical alignment starts

Not much room to move so this has to be dead accurate. Ive been able to drop the rack down by 10mm which helps.

Ive got about 15mm from the crank pulley to the radiator. I think that will be enough, because I'm going to encapture the engine mounts to stop movement and make up reaction rods from the bell housing back to the custom gearbox cross member.

Will put some pictures up Monday... I have to go out this arvo.... interupting all the fun

More to come

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn, working at 3am on a Sunday? :blink: Now that's dedication!! I will keep checking back on this thread... it's a very cool project.

Glenn, working at 3am on a Sunday? :blink: Now that's dedication!! I will keep checking back on this thread... it's a very cool project.

Very very cool project, I look forward to reading more about it.

post-1129-1203958466_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1203958691_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1203958580_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1203958753_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1203958770_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1203958738_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1203958727_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1203958714_thumb.jpg

Just playing round with all the clearances at the moment and looking at all the options while I'm getting the engine mount brackets cut out for me by Rex @ Aquacut. When I'm happy with all the clearances I'll weld them up.

I'll post some more pictures as I go. Anyone have some critiscism or suggestions please feel free

Cheers

Glenn

post-1129-1203958533_thumb.jpg

Yes it is. Ive got 10mm in the front and rear and about 12mm between the sump and steering rack. I tried lowering the rack down 10mm but that makes the steering coupling too short. I might alter the firewall slightly to give me a bit more. Just need to check inside so that I still have brake pushrod and heater box clearance. I'd still like to have a bit more room up front. I can take about 3mm of the front pulley because the air con belt doesnt use the whole pulley Vee. Anyone else here thats done this and can help with a little advice... would be appreciated. Ive checked the other forums, but no one gives you actual measurements. I might actually be ok as it is...just not sure.

Cheers

Glenn

Looks mean! tight squeeze, was reading on a page about an m30 removing the heater would give a little more room??? Cant quite remember.

using E39 encaptured V8 mounts) encapturing these mounts is necessary to prevent engine moving around under acceloration & braking (very close tolerances)

Just a question about these engine mounts. Are these the ones that are filled with oil?

After reading this thread, I was interested in changing mine over from my yellow ones.

got quoted about $133 incl each

using E39 encaptured V8 mounts) encapturing these mounts is necessary to prevent engine moving around under acceloration & braking (very close tolerances)

Just a question about these engine mounts. Are these the ones that are filled with oil?

After reading this thread, I was interested in changing mine over from my yellow ones.

got quoted about $133 incl each

You might have to modify your mounting brackets though. To encapture them you have to weld a 100mm inside diameter piece of pipe onto the bracket above the mount 37mm deep. That will give you 5mm clearance around the mount and only allow the engine to move forward 5mm under braking. I'll post pictures after I've made them. I had the profiles all cut yesterday and will bend and weld them up next week. Yes the mounts are cheap. I've gone for the E46, E39 M54 type mount now. The V8 ones are a bit bigger and fowl on the chassis.

Dont mind at all...go for it

Every bit of info helps

Cheers

Glenn

I tried lowering the rack down 10mm but that makes the steering coupling too short.

Don't lower the rack, you will end up inducing "bump steer" if you do this. If you lower the front crossmember at the same time then okay, but not the rack on its own! Best if you can avoid moving any of these bits, as it does upset geometry, especially if you plan on lowering the car- which I am sure you will! :)

Due to other time consuming commitments, this project is now for sale

Will sell complete with the 316 and the mock up car or seperately.

Selling with everything I have so far

M30 motor is a M535 10:1 compression motor done 89,000 miles ( can be confirmed )

E28 Getrag 260 gearbox and driveshaft

E34 sump, oil pump, engine brackets, power steering pump, alternator, front pulley, ignition trigger etc

Engine brackets all profile cut, not welded up yet

Will sell complete (both cars) for $7,000

Or sell mock up car with M30 and everthing else for $2,000