Sign in to follow this  
uhlsta

Fog Lights A No No

They're not rear for lights. I don't drive a euro. Front fog lights on a toyota

Hey guys ......... this started in Wellington with 4x4 imports and the "fogs" were mounted on the "pusher bar".

The lights got knocked - usually backward (hinged below the light) consequently the light would be shining "high".

We were told it was taken to Court and thrown out earlier in the year -

All motor vehicles are subject to a WOF - if all the vehicle lights comply to the WOF Standards then there is a 'regional confliction ' with the perception of how that specific part of the law is administered - and exceptionally arguable (before) in Court.

Have a look at the Regs. - and seek advise from WOF Authority.

Personally I see no difference between this issue and " exhausts or rust " - if does not comply then it fails a WOF - end of story !

Paul - E30

Driving with fog lights on is lame

Guest Rick James

I didn't read the thread because arguing on the internet is stupid, but has anyone mentioned that BMW fogs are in ellipsoid housings with cutoffs, and thus should be classed as driving lights?

I'd suggest if you fight it, go with that argument and you'd probably get off - and then get pinged for having 4 headlights on at once :D

Fail a WOF for them not working, yet you get a ticket for having them on. you dont even have to have them why the hell do you fail a WOF on them!?! Arhh i do not understand.

I didn't read the thread because arguing on the internet is stupid, but has anyone mentioned that BMW fogs are in ellipsoid housings with cutoffs, and thus should be classed as driving lights?

I'd suggest if you fight it, go with that argument and you'd probably get off - and then get pinged for having 4 headlights on at once :D

Dont get it - Ellipsoid with cut off are dip beam lights -as are fogs in Ellipsoid form - the cut off line is precisely that. Driving lights & high beam for that matter are in effect a spot light or varying degree of, cheap lamps are virtually uncontrolled beam (scattered light)

Blown bulbs maybe or a loose connection?

I no that Yuen on this forum has a pair going for a very fair price.

I find the spotlights on my e36's make a big difference to driving at night

Cheers bro. I already had them removed and re-checked for WOF. I know that one is buggered due to cracked clear lens/plastic and has let in water. The other probably just a blown bulb? But not fussed at the moment. Looking forward to the new look with my cavity design. Aye.

Fail a WOF for them not working, yet you get a ticket for having them on. you dont even have to have them why the hell do you fail a WOF on them!?! Arhh i do not understand.

Because if they are fitted they have to work properly. Kinda like a spare tyre, if its not bolted in properly they can fail you, but you can just take it out pre WOF and it will pass.

Cheers bro. I already had them removed and re-checked for WOF. I know that one is buggered due to cracked clear lens/plastic and has let in water. The other probably just a blown bulb? But not fussed at the moment. Looking forward to the new look with my cavity design. Aye.

Let us no what you do..I will be very interested.

I'm getting very short tempered with my fog lights.have broken two in the last week :(

Because if they are fitted they have to work properly. Kinda like a spare tyre, if its not bolted in properly they can fail you, but you can just take it out pre WOF and it will pass.

Even if that is the official logic it doesn't really answer the question. Having non-functional foglights is no different to having no foglights...

It would make more sense (but obviously be harder) for them to test airbag or ABS functionality, which could actually make a difference to the safety of the vehicle.

I failed a wof for having non working fogs at VTNZ,so I just ripped them out and they said hmm seeing they arent there it's fine.

WTF

The one cracks me up is the ad on TV at the moment with the ford that pulls on the hand brake and rolls down a bank.

My mate watched that add being filmed - they used remote control's and had to work really hard to delibrately make the car go off the road - it is TOTAL F**KING CRAP. They also had to re-arrange the car to make it look that bad - it's been digitrally enhanced. If I was Ford I'd be pissed.

And what with those little mine things on the add popping up - jezz. These self rightious morons need to get their heads out of their arse, wipe the sh*t off their eyes, and get real about whats killing people! Some real education, some real information and maybe people will pay some attention.

How about an add showing some dick with cut springs failing to take the corner, or some boy racer with rock hard suspension (suitable for Mansfield) hitting a famous NZ c road bump and loosing control - thats real. But the lastest Ford getting taken out on a corner by land mines - yeah right!

One of the biggest cause of road deaths is cars crossing the centre line - on straight roads. Like the sh*t for brains tourist who killed 4 motocyclists last week, or the equally poo brained cop who did a bloody u-turn and took out 2 more motorcylists. My contempt for this prick knows no bounds. How many of us have seen cops do something illegal or dangerous on the roads? The high speed pursits that they always have broken off just before the speeding kids crashes into some innocents and mains or kill them - believe that do we? - I don't bloody think so!

I failed a wof for having non working fogs at VTNZ,so I just ripped them out and they said hmm seeing they arent there it's fine.

WTF

+1

How about an add showing some dick with cut springs failing to take the corner, or some boy racer with rock hard suspension (suitable for Mansfield) hitting a famous NZ c road bump and loosing control - thats real. But the lastest Ford getting taken out on a corner by land mines - yeah right!

don't need a million $$$ ad budget to make those ....

Give me an HD cam and ill take my own car out vs someone with cut springs and show the differences in cornering / ride ability. It would take me 30 minutes and be about 10 times more imformative about why your car would get itself into a spin like that in the first place.

Haha Josh, I'd help fund that lol.

BTW Jimbo, Ford is pissed. They took action against the advertisers and AFAIK the ad has been or is going to be pulled.

Haha Josh, I'd help fund that lol.

BTW Jimbo, Ford is pissed. They took action against the advertisers and AFAIK the ad has been or is going to be pulled.

Sweeeet if a bad add get pulled. The reason it should be pulled is it's crap though!

A good add was the one where as boy was standing by the road wondering why his mother had died. Some wank going to fast, goes round a corner, crossed the centre line and good bye mum. That was realistic. As are many of the intersection adds.

What about the adds that go "if the conditions change, reduce your speed" So I'm driving on a gravel road, and the road conditions change, it becomes tarmac - I reduce speed? I'm driving on a wetroad, it dries, I reduce my speed? F**KERS are dumb. How about "if the conditions change, CHANGE your speed"

I've found that with the right tyres, and reasonable suspension, and skill + expereince most corners can be rounded pretty damn quickly. Back in the day I used to drive up to 1000k a week while servicing Telecom equipment - we had a range of vehicles - none what you would call drivers cars - and a wide range of roads. It was great fun developing the skill to make these things go quick through maximising cornering speed - god knows they were not fast in terms of accelleration. The real tip though was always, always drive as if your lane was all the road available, treat the othe lane like it was a bank, or a cliff. Too often I see guys (yes it's always the guys) driving on a road like the Rimutaka hill like it was closed for a hill climb - using both lanes. I'm sure they imagine they have skills. I promise them something, do that and take out someone I love and bugger the justice system - their head is going to meet with a peice of lead pipe. I'll give them consequences!

The consequences for killing and maining people through deliverately dangerous driving is not enough. It's basically random murder.

It's really easy to catch those having an accident, or most likely to have an accident.

They are the ones:

• sitting by the side of the road with asmoking radiator, having rammed the back of someones car on a motorway.
  • who are looking bemused and sitting in a paddock or in a ditch beside SHW1 because they fell asleep at the wheel, (or now entangled with some innocent person com ing the other way if they driffed right instead of left).
  • they are the ones tail gating, and then passing in the face of oncoming traffic
  • with cut springs, or shock only suitable for the track, adjustable yes but the dumb shits don't do they?
  • they are stoned, or drunk
  • they can't drive in their lane
  • they drive 90km of the open road, they speed past a school at 90kph in a 50 zone, thinking they are safe - then BANG a kid is bug splatter on their windscreen
Lets make the conseqwuences for this sh*t so tough peolple will take a hell of a lot more care, I'm sure the accidents would reduce, and you could allow people who want to travel a little faster to do so.

Sorry for the rant!

Edited by jimbo

What about the adds that go "if the conditions change, reduce your speed" So I'm driving on a gravel road, and the road conditions change, it becomes tarmac - I reduce speed? I'm driving on a wetroad, it dries, I reduce my speed? F**KERS are dumb. How about "if the conditions change, CHANGE your speed"

+1 , I really hate that. You would have thought before they put the campaign out there they could have thought about the flaws. Dumb sh*ts

My recollectin of it was 'drive to the conditions, if they change reduce your speed'

Any half sensible person is going to know that means slow down when conditions get worse so I dont see the problem with it.

A good add was the one where as boy was standing by the road wondering why his mother had died.

That was a terrible ad. It was soppy and his command of the English language was particularly lack-lustre.

My recollectin of it was 'drive to the conditions, if they change reduce your speed'

Any half sensible person is going to know that means slow down when conditions get worse so I dont see the problem with it.

Perhaps you should write their adds; "slow down when conditions get worse", simple; accurate, works for even those not so sensible. So why didn't they say that. And sure it seems like a little thing - no one pulls up these well intentioned (but thick) public service employes , because we all know what we think they mean, they didn't say it, but hey , lets use common sense.

Now we get poorly written laws; like Annette King and her "law of common sense", which needs to be used by "sensible people" to work out what Labors new law resticting freedom of speech means.

Isn't the fact we have a Labour Govt proof enough that more that 50% of voting age NZers are not sensible?

Edited by jimbo

That was a terrible ad. It was soppy and his command of the English language was particularly lack-lustre.

By 'soppy' do you mean, it connects emmotionally?. how terrible! :rolleyes:

I'm with penry on that speed changing ad.

Pretty straight foward really unless your one of them who has to pick out all the little mistakes in something.

Good read.

Hey,

As tragic as the whole turn of events has been, there are some important points to note....

The tourist lost control of the vehicle after dropping two wheels into the gravel on the "Shoulder" of the road, over corrected and the rest is a horrific and terible tragedy, nothing will make it right, change it or lessen the absolute sense of loss the families and friends of the people involved will feel. However the woman responsible for it has faced the media & her actions, she appears to be genuinely sorry for her actions & they were not deliberate, purhaps if our roads were better maintained and had proper "Shoulders" we may be looking at members of the charity cycle run talking about a near miss.....

The police officer, was (we are lead to believe ) a highly trained and skillful driver, he was duing a U turn on a corner !! and turned his vehicle with little or no regard to road rules, placemnt of his or other vehicles or as it is very clear due to the outcome, no regard for any matter other than persuing the offending motorcycle going the other way. There has been no public apology, nor any sign from police that there is a responsibility to be faced on their part, nor has there been any comment from the individual involved. The police will do their own internal investigation, it will not be open to public scrutiny, and the media has gone awfully quiet in regards to this matter. Whilst I realise the individual involved will be being advised to remain quiet and not speak out either way, due to the possible internal and legal repercussions, at what point do our law keepers become above the law ?

The points are as follows ( and tell me I'm an arse if you don't agree )

1. We have a private individual facing up to their actions and expressing there remorse - We have a police force that has not made any public apology nor has there been any public expression of concern or review of policy.

2. We have a private individual facing an open court and public scrutiny, she will be tried via our national legal system and face an open court to have the appropriate ( if there can be seen to be any such thing for the victems ) sentence placed upon her. - We have a police officer who will face an internal enquiry that the public will have no detail of, he will be penalised within closed ranks and will not have to face the public or acknowledge his guilt in public.

3. The woman was not a trained or skilled driver ( as far as we know ) nor was she employed by our government to uphold laws and driving standards in this country, she was and is an individual driving a vehicle for personal reasons, and she has to face the legal and personal ramifications of that. - The police officer was acting as an agent for the countries law enforcers, he was supposedly well trained, fully conversant with the traffic laws and safe driving practices. It must also be recognized that the officer should know what is good driving practise and what is not, given that our current legislation allows police to use their own descretion regarding good and bad driving habits. This officer has not faced the same legal proccess and may never do so. Add to that the police policy of never admitting wrong and what do we have ?? Lawlessness within the law !!

One must ask which is the more daming action - A non deliberate action by a non professional driver behind the wheel causing death or the deliberate action of a professional driver who is employed to uphold traffic and driving standards causing injury and in a number of recent cases death.

Our police need to take a long hard look at the ticketing "quota" system and the policies surrounding high speed chases, too many innocent people are paying the price for our under skilled and over zealous police driving habits.

Thats another of my 5 cents worth,

Cheers

Grunta