Sign in to follow this  
Court M3

85 320i starting problems

Hey guys,

Ny friend's 320i always need a jumpstart get started and will cut out in first gear. Is there anything that could cause this besides the alternator? he has a new battery, spark plugs and wires. It also has an erratic idle once it's running.

Any and all help appreciated TIA

it sounds like when dave and i had his instrument cluster disconnected....needed jump starting, ran for a bit then died.....is the tacho and speedo and all that working fine?

Here are some questions:

When the car won't start, is it turning over at all (and just refusung to fire)?

Is the car fine once it iw warm (i.e. only having starting problems and problems in first gear when cold)?

Cheers

hmmm kinda sounds like the same problem with my 320i like sometimes it turns on after u try real hard to start it then it cuts out and wen it is started its idle stragely but i havent tried jump starting it tho

Haven't paid attention to the tach and speedo, but it needs to be jump started everytime. It will idle very roughly (checked for air leaks and need to replace intake boot) and then when the car is put in first or reverse just die.

This is after it's been running at idle for abour 5-10 min. It's giving me a major headache :banghead:

This sounds very much like a Starter Motor Relay problem.

Get a new relay,not all that expensive, or get it tested by an auto electrician.

Had the same problem about 56 years ago and a new relay solved the problem.

Edited by 37 South

Yeah , come to think of it . Could have been the fuel pump relay. Such a long time ago.It was one of those two for sure.