Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

e46: full sat nav install

Finally got the full sat nav installed into the e46.

Is worth every penny! :)

Enter any street and house address in NZ and go. :)

Was getting a bit worried at 10pm last night when we had the whole car still in 1000 pieces, but by 1:30am, we were testing it out up and down the motorway.

Ice link still works.

watch this space for audio hacks etc etc

big thanks to jochen for the tech info and coding.

And brendon for slicing his hands open on all thing e46ness

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

yeah was! haha .. the wiring was the though bit .. as the CD pinouts didnt match the intructions .. so had to work it out by testing it out and swapping pins.

the Nav map screen goes to full wide screen (16:9) I just didnt get any photos of it sorry .. will do it when I have some time tomorrow.

yea looks like alot of work .

i sold a tv/radio/tape kit from a e38 740i 95 2 young guys and myself on a friday night took about 3 hours to get it all out .

took the young guy and maybe his mate about 9 hours the saturday to refit into his e38 728i.

rings me about 6pm sat says he's watching C4 while driving along .

good work :D:D

Farking hell!

You boys are keen.

Pretty goddamn impresive.

Far out what a mish!

Good job though,wouldn't dream of touching that!

not going to fast down the motorway i hope :P

install looks clean and tidy. very impressive!

Cheers for the comments guys,

I think brendon and myself we will be soon offering a sat nav install service for the 3 series.

Good work. Mind telling us how much it cost all up?

including the steering wheel upgrade about 4k ...

The most expensive single part was actually the BM54 pro radio module. They are (even in the world) next to impossible to get second hand, I bought a new one for $1100

Found a retrofit kit from the UK for $1900 which included the 16:9 display and MkIII nav computer, aircon relocation bezel / dash mounts, GPS ariel and other misc stuff to complete the install and ofcorse the Retrofit loom (not the full electrical loom, which is about 5 times harder to install and gives you no benefit what so ever)

Also purchased a TV module from a fellow e46fanatic and will complete buying the TV ariel/amps/connectors early in the new year.

Went round to see Jochen about 3 weeks ago to have the nav computer coded. He has handed his knowledge onto brendon and myself around these installs we will endevour to keep the knowledge alive.

I had to buy the brackets for the nav new from bmw and the carpet formed boot panel.

Talking with our contact a JC BMW, he said BMW's offical line is "Its not possible" :) and is as amused as myself at their stance on things like this. Keith also said they charge about $8500 for the system for new cars. so im happy with the over 50% saving on doing it the long 'buy one bit at a time' way hahaha.

Using it, its bloody intelligent. It works 100% as you would want it too and then some.

peas.

not going to fast down the motorway i hope :P

install looks clean and tidy. very impressive!

hahaha was it you I passed down the motorway going north a week ago testing the cruise control ? :D

hahaha was it you I passed down the motorway going north a week ago testing the cruise control ? :D

haha yea that was me on Saturday, your cruise control accelerates pretty quickly! :P

Awesome!

Jochen mentioned it would be a major job when I enquired about undertaking this on my Mums 46, he wasn’t joking!

Well done, 10 points for effort.

haha yea that was me on Saturday, your cruise control accelerates pretty quickly! :P

;)

Awesome!

Jochen mentioned it would be a major job when I enquired about undertaking this on my Mums 46, he wasn’t joking!

Well done, 10 points for effort.

yeah, Its not too bad .. we did it in a night. Brendon and I reckon we could do another one in about 3 hours now we know how.

Was the BM54 new from JC in Auckland ?

Thats a bloody good price, the cheapest Ive seen so far has been gbp320 which isnt far off.

new from the states.. US get amazing pricing on parts. You have to order the euro model. Not the US version.

Good on you Josh! All by yourself, with no help from me:-)

I am proud that you got it going so quickly! Looks like you did a good job.

new from the states.. US get amazing pricing on parts. You have to order the euro model. Not the US version.

There is NO difference in the hardware version - you just program the BM54 to be Area=Europe or Area=USA. And the programming is done using fingers, no special tools required.

So now you have to add some more features - like the integrated Valentine One radar detector - if you can lay hands on the hard-to-find and no-longer-made Stealth-One ibus interface .....

...and then you need to upgrade to a Mk4 nav, because then you can show the NZ speed cameras on the nav map display.... and lots lots lots more..... the Mk4s allow you to do HEAPS of customisation, lots of fun...

Enjoy your car!

Jochen (currently in LA, California)

Oh, and don't forget - get yourself the integrated BMW bluetooth interface so you can read text messages on the nav screen and make handsfree phone calls - the interface works REALLY well and gives super cool total nav integration via a bluetooth connection to the telephone in your pocket.

See it working at www.bimmernav.com - the best place to read about everything BMW Bluetooth

Jochen (still in LA, California, and sick of driving a Chrysler Town & Country 7-seater Van)

no worries and THANKS! :) .. been researching the sh*t out of blue tooth. Im just hoping that the fact my phone runs on bluetooth v2 wont make my beloved phone incompatible with it . . .

Will look into that stuff next year as I have an e30 to concerntrate on pouring 10's of thousands into now hehe ..

Cheers for the comments guys,

I think brendon and myself we will be soon offering a sat nav install service for the 3 series.

including the steering wheel upgrade about 4k ...

The most expensive single part was actually the BM54 pro radio module. They are (even in the world) next to impossible to get second hand, I bought a new one for $1100

I found a retrofit kit from the UK for $1900 which included the 16:9 display and MkIII nav computer, aircon relocation bezel / dash mounts, GPS ariel and other misc stuff to complete the install and ofcorse the Retrofit loom (not the full electrical loom, which is about 5 times harder to install and gives you no benefit what so ever)

I also purchased a TV module from a fellow e46fanatic and will complete buying the TV ariel/amps/connectors early in the new year.

I went round to see Jochen about 3 weeks ago to have the nav computer coded. He has handed his knowledge onto brendon and myself around these installs we will endevour to keep the knowledge alive.

I had to buy the brackets for the nav new from bmw and the carpet formed boot panel.

Talking with our contact a JC BMW, he said BMW's offical line is "Its not possible" :) and is as amused as myself at their stance on things like this. Keith also said they charge about $8500 for the system for new cars. so im happy with the over 50% saving on doing it the long 'buy one bit at a time' way hahaha.

Using it, its bloody intelligent. It works 100% as you would want it too and then some.

peas.

Yep, agreed on that - tis a great system & well done on the install -good on you guys.

My car was the first for Jochen & I to suss out & convert (& no doubt first in the country) a couple of years ago -was a challenge for both of us. When I turned up at Coombes Johnson in Hamilton for a map disc - the parts guy had the same opinion (not possible) -should have seen his eyes light up (& mine) when we put the disc in & it read the map - 900 bucks later though for the disc.

Been a lot of water under the bridge with seeing through these conversions with him & I since then & a shitload of development from Jochen from the intial "challenge" to his vast knowledge now.

Agreed with Jochen - Mk4 nav unit is the one

So many features, must be very satisfying to have DIY something that BMW said couldn't be done.

Tis a real credit to you.

I see. If you were to buy a Japanese import with nav, would it have the same radio module and display thus saving a little on costs? Somehow I don't recall seeing E46 imports with nav.

I see. If you were to buy a Japanese import with nav, would it have the same radio module and display thus saving a little on costs? Somehow I don't recall seeing E46 imports with nav.

Hi Yuen, I've converted heaps of Jap cars with Jap nav to Euro-spec to work in NZ. I've done E46, E38, E39, X3, X5, Z4 and Range Rover. They all work.

The Jap E46 330ci's often had nav. And I gues the M3s as well.

With a Jap car...

a) the screen doesn't change at all

B) the TV tuner (video module) doesn't change, unless made prior to Sep 99

c) you swap the radio only if you want to, and only if prior to 09/00

d) the nav MUST be changed, and the wiring adapted from Jap to Euro wiring

e) and of course the amp, CD changer and speakers don't change

Then it all works...

Jochen (in Cali-forn-i-a)

Cool, that sounds pretty good. So to sum it up, if you buy a Jap import with nav, get one after 09/00? What is the significant of that date - is it when they started putting in radios with a world tuner?

Josh, what was the steering wheel upgrade for? Cruise control?

I had a the e46 rubber slab (4 spoke) wheel ... went for the Multi-functional one because of radio, volume, cruise control, pleather and generally looks better .. it will also allow me to control the bluetooth module when I get it.

Its really strange aye, the car because of the nav and wheel upgrade feels like a totally different vehicle. quite a refreshing feeling.

check my e46 MF steering retrofit thread here...

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=13689