Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

e65 sat nav conversion jap to nz

I'm looking at a 1yr old e65 (750il) jap import BMW and thinking of buying it, the radio and dvd in the car has been converted already to nz standards However the sat nav hasn't and BMW NZ won't do it for fear of stuffing the computer system on the car (it's brains I guess). My question is can this be done has anyone done it and does it work ? I'd appreciate any help you can give.

It runs on Idrive .... not sure that it has a separate nav computer ? .. maybe a complete Idrive computer replacement ? ..

this is a question for jochen I believe.

ya the car has a tv already and the whole nav runs from the idrive I'm technically challenged when it comes to these things (cars in general) and I really need to know if it's possible and who could do it.

jochen was the man here...although it is controlled frrom the i drive the whole system seems similar to aearlier sytems.The nav computer lives (probably) in the boot somewhere.Japanese e 39s need their computer replaced.Sounds like yours is the same.

Maybe the guys here can recomend someone who does this sort of thing.Then you need to get a computer and get it swapped with yours.Jochen would say EASY!.Where are you located?

We're down in dunedin but the car is in auckland ATM and we can ship it anywhere we need to on it's way down the country. I understand the nav is located in the boot it certainly is on my existing e65. Infact my current car didn't have nav originally, although it did have a tv, and the local BMW dealer installed it for me when it became available which is why I can't understand why they'd not convert the existing setup in the car I'm looking at from jap to nz.

We're down in dunedin but the car is in auckland ATM and we can ship it anywhere we need to on it's way down the country. I understand the nav is located in the boot it certainly is on my existing e65. Infact my current car didn't have nav originally, although it did have a tv, and the local BMW dealer installed it for me when it became available which is why I can't understand why they'd not convert the existing setup in the car I'm looking at from jap to nz.

do you have the option of taking the nav out of the current car and putting into the new one?

A BMW dealer should be able to swap the nav unit from Jap to NZ (Europe) one. They'll then have to re-program and update the software so it'll work correctly with the upgraded nav.

Any BMW dealer should be able to carry out this work for you. If you are not buying from a BMW dealer you can take the VIN to local BMW dealer to get the exact details of the current setup, and at the same time get the price for the swap from them.

Apart from re-programming, it's do-able as a DIY project.

I too am realitively familiar with Jap nav conversions & have seen through lots around the country, was Jochen & I that did my car first (we both learnt the system on mine -probably the first in NZ). From my experience -Singapore E65's -not a problem, havent seen a Jap one in the flesh but have seen the set up of them & they are a totally different ball game to the earlier cars & their Singapore derivatives. To my knowledge & consultation with Jochen - I am not aware of a solution in these.

I drive is not the issue in conversion but the actual set up is, BMW wont have the answer either. The Japs seem to have gone out on a limb with their system in these cars. Will stand corrected by Jochen though.

Unfortunately I won't have the two cars in the same space at the same time to do the swap so thats out I'm afraid. However if it's as simple as handing a BMW dealer the VIN so they can check the details and having them swap out the jap nav unit for the nz (euro) one and then, as you say, reprogramming the unit to get the lastest software version available why did BMW refuse to do this in the first place ? Any thoughts ? And thank you all for the advice it's been very useful if I get the car I'll post a pic.

Ahh OK I guess that makes more sense Hotwire I did wonder why BMW wouldn't do it but if the systems are that different I guess I can understand why they didn't want to touch it. It's a bugger cause I really like the car but I don't see the point of having nav that doesn't work :(

Ahh OK I guess that makes more sense Hotwire I did wonder why BMW wouldn't do it but if the systems are that different I guess I can understand why they didn't want to touch it. It's a bugger cause I really like the car but I don't see the point of having nav that doesn't work :(

Yea that was my thought as well, (fitted & not working correctly) asked several people & everyone said "cant be done" which created the challenge for Jochen & I (he more so) to suss it out, since then we both individually have helped many others get their systems operational.

If you want to send me some pics of the set up I will confirm it as I think it is.

Cheers Grant

OK I'll get some pics if I can, can you tell me specifically what you need the pictures of so I can have them done and while I'm remembering there is a company that is supposed to be able to do this (well according to the seller that is and I wanted to check here with you guys before asking the seller about it) I'll check the name and run it by you to see if you know them.

Edited by eibbed

From trawling the E60 forum, I know that I can do a DIY retrofit for AUX out on my E60. However the software has to be updated by the BMW dealer otherwise when the software needs to be updated at a later stage, the dealer will run into problems.

Apparently before updating, the car configuration has to exactly match with what BMW has on its database otherwise the update won't run. That's why an AUX install costs about $300 while the actual hardware (cable) itself only costs $80!!!

I guess it'll be the same situation with E65, and it's not about the iDrive thing, it's all about the car software. Although I don't quite understand why BMW NZ refuses to do the swap. As long as everything is swapped from Jap to NZ (fiber optics, BUS etc.) everything should run fine.

Maybe you could post BMW NZ's reasons for not wanting to do it. Will be interesting to see.

I'll check with BMW as at this stage I only have the sellers word for it which is why I asked here to see if it makes sense to you guys as you obviously know alot more about this than I do. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow after speaking with the dealer (although not my local dealer figure they wouldn't be too happy about me looking at an import to replace my nz new e65 LOL).

Incidentally the figure for the conversion being bandied about by the seller was $2000

OK I'll get some pics if I can, can you tell me specifically what you need the pictures of so I can have them done and while I'm remembering there is a company that is supposed to be able to do this (well according to the seller that is and I wanted to check here with you guys before asking the seller about it) I'll check the name and run it by you to see if you know them.

Not aware of anyone knowing with this system but stand to be corrected on that. Pics of the set up in the boot L/H side, the monitor is generic in the E65.

ok I'll get the pic's sorted tomorrow. In truth if I can't get the nav sorted I may not take the car as if I do buy it with a non-functional nav it'll just drive me mad.

ok I'll get the pic's sorted tomorrow. In truth if I can't get the nav sorted I may not take the car as if I do buy it with a non-functional nav it'll just drive me mad.

You may like to look for a Singapore version car, not a great fan on older ex Singapore cars but being as young as you are looking at will be no problem. Same radio & nav systems as here - I can sort you out then with what you require to get nav working.

Cheers Grant

You may like to look for a Singapore version car, not a great fan on older ex Singapore cars but being as young as you are looking at will be no problem. Same radio & nav systems as here - I can sort you out then with what you require to get nav working.

Cheers Grant

Yeah, when I was looking at an ex-Sing E65 at Jeff Gray, they either had done the conversion or there was nothing to do as they readily provided the nav DVD (CD?) as part of the deal.

Yep Singapore just require a disc but there is a catch - some will only read a mode 2 version disc -BMW NZ only supply in mode 1 format -seen an E65 last week like that.

Ya I'd check out a singapore import if I could find one with this spec it's fully loaded, night vision, seat massage, better leather, prologic 7 audio, and much more over and above the standard NZ spec.

OK here's the pictures of the nav unit in the boot of the car let me know what you think.

Id be very careful, from my admittedly limited understanding the latest BMW canbus archietecture relies on every module talking to the other , so that a change of unit requires a software upgrade by the dealer. if they cant get the modules to communicate the only solution is replacement of the affected module. thats why they require you to sign a disclaimer before attempting an upgrade sometimes more then one control module or unit can be affected

There is a lot of work going on to get the software bugs fixed particularly in countries like Russia but the sloutions are probabaly a year or 2 down the line, what ever you try it would be a good idea to know to know if they can virtually back up the car so that it can be returned to its original configuration should the upgrade fail.

I know its sounds more and more like a PC upgrade but thts really what your dealing with

good luck sounds like a nice car cheers

hove

OK here's the pictures of the nav unit in the boot of the car let me know what you think.

Yes -as I thought it would be, dont think anyone has the answer to that one, doesn't even use a map disc as we do here.

If you want high spec with nav -Singapore version probably only answer I would think

OK I guess that makes sense it's a no go (SIGH). I was looking at a jap e66 too that was nice so my next question would be who do I see that imports these cars from singapore ?