Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

e65 sat nav conversion jap to nz

Jeff Gray BMWs sometimes do have imported BMWs from either Singapore or Japan.

Or wait until a NZ new one comes up for sale here, as it would be quite highly spec'ed?

ok I'll go check jeff's and thanks for all your help guys it really helped me make a decision about buying the car. If any one hears about a 06/07 e65 li in from singapore let me know or an e66 for that matter

Edited by eibbed

ok I'll go check jeff's and thanks for all your help guys it really helped me make a decision about buying the car. If any one hears about a 06/07 e65 li in from singapore let me know or an e66 for that matter

Why are you changing anyway? Maybe you'd want to wait until the new 7 is out. That'll be another year, won't it? By then it'll have all of the cool stuff standard (HUD, NAV, Active Cruise Control, Night Vision etc. etc.).

It's a good point but you know what it's like when you start thinking of these things you can't stop. Is the new car really out 2008 I thought it was 2009 release date ? I'd wait for an 08 release but not an 09.

I'm looking at a 1yr old e65 (750il) jap import BMW and thinking of buying it, the radio and dvd in the car has been converted already to nz standards However the sat nav hasn't and BMW NZ won't do it for fear of stuffing the computer system on the car (it's brains I guess). My question is can this be done has anyone done it and does it work ? I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Jochen here (hi all!)

firstly, BMW cannot help you if you take a Jap car and fit Euro nav to it. You create a car that was never designed to exist: 99% Japanese, with the Euro nav system - the BMW diagnostic computer won´t be able to handle the combo and cannot program the nav.

UNLESS you change the vehicle order to remove the Japanese option, and label the vehicle as a Euro ECE vehicle. Then the BMW software might be able to talk to the new car...

As for the nav: there were 2 or 3 different versions for the E65 ex Japane, the VIN number would clarify what your car has.

I have never worked on an E65, but the nav is a modified Mk4 nav, made to communicate with the fibre-optic MOST system bus in the car.

I do not know if the nav is plug and play (maybe), and I do not know if the Jap car will talk to the Euro nav - the software may be different. You have to try and see.

You may also need to replace the audio system controller (ASK) but again this would be a try-and-see exercise.

And you may have to remove the other Jap-specific components if fitted: like the Jap telephone-ôtherwise you may get errors on the databus.

Regards, Jochen

Hmmm none of that sounds easy to do I'll keep scouting for a singapore import or maybe even get a new nz one (SIGH) I did find a jap e65 1 year old with a complete spec but again I run up against the sat nav problem. I wouldn't mind if I didn't use it as often as I do.

Hmmm none of that sounds easy to do I'll keep scouting for a singapore import or maybe even get a new nz one (SIGH) I did find a jap e65 1 year old with a complete spec but again I run up against the sat nav problem. I wouldn't mind if I didn't use it as often as I do.

If you value having the electronics all working properly, then get a Singapore car. The Singapore cars have the same electronics as the NZ cars, this means that radio, TV, Telephone and navigation all work perfectly here in NZ.

Buy a Jap car and the radio won`t work, the telephone will never work, and the nav will never work. Only the TV will work properly.