Sign in to follow this  
Gus

PM Chooses BM

I saw Jeanette Fitzsimons on One News just before, asking why they needed thirty-four BMW Limousines for visiting dignitaries and the like, because we only have one Queen. Whilst sharing some of Ms Fitzsimons concerns, I must remind her that the current Labour Cabinet includes about five queens.

Ms Fitzsimons lives about 500 metres from my lifestyle block. She must spend thousands on Carbon Credits judging by the amount of Gorse her husband burns using petrol, which is A LOT.

Edited by Eddy

the PM live in a street just out the back of where i work in mt eden.

any one want the addy .

i drive by there sometimes on sat am on my way to work , and quite often theres a ford or two with guys standing around with ear pieces looking sternly as i drove past :rolleyes:

I really dont see a real issue behind having a larger number of BMW fleet as government cars.

Sure they are "expensive" but I believe that through the process of using common sense and a very basic knowledge of engines, the 3.0L Diesel is bound to have lower running costs than the current V8 Fords.

Lower fuel costs, more economical engine, more lavish ride...what more can you ask for?

I was just talking to my father about this topic over dinner today, he himself being in the mix of New Zealand's media mentioned that the Ford consumes around 11L per 100Km where as the new BMWs would only use up a mere 8.5L per 100Km however, the government target was somewhere around 6L per 100Km. I cannot be 100% sure about those figures, at least that was what I was told...

We really aint a very rich nation, however, the investments on these BMW not only upgrade New Zealand's profile as a country aware of the importance of these VIPs by using BMW instead of Ford to give them rides...surely enough the differences are clear. It is quite clear the the BMW offers a far better interior than the inferior Fords for good reasons too so remember its not money wasted...

The selective use of Diesel over Petrol is another obvious sign that the running costs were taken into factor to lower the running costs. Given the potential on Bio-Diesel fuel...these BMWs have more future than those Fords without a doubt.

3.0L should be more than enough in terms of power, just remember this aint your everday ride, nor is it a racer as long as it can drive over 99Km/h and under 101Km/h, Ill be happy, unlike those Fords that go well over 100Km/h because someone wanted to go watch the footie *cough *cough *Helen...Clark... anyways you got my point.

I believe this is by far one of the best choices the government has made for a very very long time, I cannot remember the last good decision that was made for the benefits of everday people...

The Greenies can go and give themselves a big slap on their face if they are going to complain about the exhaust gas of Diesel cars and those who do complain on the fact that these are BMWs, not Ford or Holden are just V8 nutters who are scared that their V8 heritige could be replaced by BMWs. Very true, I believe since New Zealand and Australia have been a long standing V8 countries for many generations based on Holdens and Fords. Fears of them being replaced by the far superior BMWs is eminent if those V8s dont stop burning fuel like a bloke guzzling beer at the pub...

the PM live in a street just out the back of where i work in mt eden.

any one want the addy .

i drive by there sometimes on sat am on my way to work , and quite often theres a ford or two with guys standing around with ear pieces looking sternly as i drove past :rolleyes:

Should have done a drive-by with paint ball! :D

Just a thought

Helen will order them.........Keys will drive them.......maybe ??

Congrats man...sounds like business is going to be good for you as well with all these extra BMWs on the road :D

I believe this is by far one of the best choices the government has made for a very very long time, I cannot remember the last good decision that was made for the benefits of everday people...

Care to explain how this benifits "Everyday People"?

Care to explain how this benifits "Everyday People"?

Fuel Consumption and emission requirements...

I dont want to sound like a Greenie because I aint, but a goal for lower fuel consumption is so that there would occur or should occur a lower running cost on the fleet. It might not sound much per car but when you add the numbers together with more than 30 of these cars running at the same time, every litre you save so much more money in the governments pockets, thus less of our tax money will be allocated into the running cost of this fleet. This enables this fund of money to be used on other sectors such as the health and education boards therefore, improve the public not in a direct way.

Emissions standards are there so that we can maintain a fleet of car with the aim to reduce the pollution around our environment. The numbers are there, do your maths, once again, consider 30 plus of these cars, not just one, these are all positive steps put in place by the government to "save money" and to "reduce pollution"...

I will admit to you that the initial start up cost will be high, but remember that these are BMWs not Fords...

If the government are really going off and wasting the money just so they can become of the BMW's most valued customers, they would be hooting for those 750iLs sitting in the BMW showrooms around the country...

Fuel Consumption and emission requirements...

I dont want to sound like a Greenie because I aint, but a goal for lower fuel consumption is so that there would occur or should occur a lower running cost on the fleet. It might not sound much per car but when you add the numbers together with more than 30 of these cars running at the same time, every litre you save so much more money in the governments pockets, thus less of our tax money will be allocated into the running cost of this fleet. This enables this fund of money to be used on other sectors such as the health and education boards therefore, improve the public not in a direct way.

Emissions standards are there so that we can maintain a fleet of car with the aim to reduce the pollution around our environment. The numbers are there, do your maths, once again, consider 30 plus of these cars, not just one, these are all positive steps put in place by the government to "save money" and to "reduce pollution"...

I will admit to you that the initial start up cost will be high, but remember that these are BMWs not Fords...

If the government are really going off and wasting the money just so they can become of the BMW's most valued customers, they would be hooting for those 750iLs sitting in the BMW showrooms around the country...

Well if thats the case then i look forward to docters bills droping and schools in my community not getting closed down due to a lack of goverment funding...

Interesting that these cars don't meet there own standards

"Government's Energy Efficiency Conservation Strategy, which called for diesel vehicles to use only 6.5 litres."

Another great result for Labour :rolleyes:

Well if thats the case then i look forward to docters bills droping and schools in my community not getting closed down due to a lack of goverment funding...

Interesting that these cars don't meet there own standards

"Government's Energy Efficiency Conservation Strategy, which called for diesel vehicles to use only 6.5 litres."

Another great result for Labour :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed...Just to let you know, I am not a Labour support, in fact a National...a strong National...Oh you live in Palmy...no wonder why schools are getting closed down there...

Edited by international

I wanted them to get black Citroen C6's, purely because they are the most stately and cool large car on the market.

I think 7 series were an unwise choice from a public perception point of view, the fuel consumption is not wonderful and it's a fool who thinks they are even slightly 'green'. Also, It will take an awfully long time, even as high-mileage government taxis, to save enough money in fuel costs to make up for the $100,000 per item initial cost of a BMW over the other mooted options (Skoda Superb TD, Peugeot 607 HDi, Chrysel 300Cd)

That, and 7's tend to have a reputation for huge depreciation- Mercedes S Class' always have the advantage here. At least the Statesmans and Fairlanes were popular and in demand as taxis by used buyers because of their low tech maintenance costs.

That, and I don't particularly wish to see John Key being driven round in a $170,000 car we all paid for...

Fingers crossed...Just to let you know, I am not a Labour support, in fact a National...a strong National...Oh you live in Palmy...no wonder why schools are getting closed down there...

Haha...ok this has gone wayyyyyy off topic!

Cheers for a healthy debate, always good to here a fresh veiw on things.

I wanted them to get black Citroen C6's, purely because they are the most stately and cool large car on the market.

I think 7 series were an unwise choice from a public perception point of view, the fuel consumption is not wonderful and it's a fool who thinks they are even slightly 'green'. Also, It will take an awfully long time, even as high-mileage government taxis, to save enough money in fuel costs to make up for the $100,000 per item initial cost of a BMW over the other mooted options (Skoda Superb TD, Peugeot 607 HDi, Chrysel 300Cd)

That, and 7's tend to have a reputation for huge depreciation- Mercedes S Class' always have the advantage here. At least the Statesmans and Fairlanes were popular and in demand as taxis by used buyers because of their low tech maintenance costs.

That, and I don't particularly wish to see John Key being driven round in a $170,000 car we all paid for...

$90,000 a pop according to TV3 and $50,000 for 300C...

poltics.....must be a relatively low consumption and co2 emmisions....and enough room wich apparently was the deciding factor,plus a purchase price of $90 000 with two years and free servicing(TV3).As for BMW point of view,look at the publicity they have already got out of it !

Haha...ok this has gone wayyyyyy off topic!

Cheers for a healthy debate, always good to here a fresh veiw on things.

Yea, haha I thought I was going into flames with you bro lol...but yes, to be quite honest, I got myself twisted trying convince the BMW was the best choice purely on the basis that I am a BMW fanatic haha...but yes, a few pointers out there for consideration...

Yea, haha I thought I was going into flames with you bro lol...but yes, to be quite honest, I got myself twisted trying convince the BMW was the best choice purely on the basis that I am a BMW fanatic haha...but yes, a few pointers out there for consideration...

Haha nothing wrong with being loyal..cheers

Odd, on One News at 6pm the director of BMW NZ said he couldn't and wouldn't say how much the 7 series had been sold for, and the newspapers were reporting a list price of $170,000. At $90,000 it seems much more reasonable to me, perhaps they had decided to report the price to get rid of some of the bad PR. However it makes me feel sorry for any private new car buyers who are obviously getting ripped off for BMWs in New Zealand!

Odd, on One News at 6pm the director of BMW NZ said he couldn't and wouldn't say how much the 7 series had been sold for, and the newspapers were reporting a list price of $170,000. At $90,000 it seems much more reasonable to me, perhaps they had decided to report the price to get rid of some of the bad PR. However it makes me feel sorry for any private new car buyers who are obviously getting ripped off for BMWs in New Zealand!

Working at a BMW dealer myself, the margins set by any car dealers especially with new cars is more than what the average person would expect...Just consider the margin sold between the government and private buyers as advertisement fees for BMW...lol

I'm sure that if you went into McMillans and said that you wanted to buy 34 7 series, you'd pay a lot less than the list price.

There is nothing untoward about that.

Edited by Cain

^^ agreed

I wouldnt be surprised if they paid less than half list

Journalism in this country leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. The tv news in particular is just getting more and more sensationalist and being able to put the boot in is getting more important than a story based on facts.

I heard three reports last night and they gave figures of 90k, 150k and 250k as being the price paid for each car. One figure was based purely on finding an 'un-specified' e65 on a forecourt somewhere for 225k.

BMW's always have had, and always will have, a reputation in NZ for being elitist. Yes its a large sum of money and whilst the schools and hospitals are crying out for more funding you could argue that its not the best time to buy 34 BMW's.

However, judging by the predicted surplus the amount paid is a drop in the ocean. Where the government should be taken to task is why with all this money in the bank am I still paying horrific amounts of tax each year but having to give my kids school 'donations' each term so they can buy stationery and why I have to pay $15-$25 to take my kids to the doctor.

But with news crews (and tv3 in particular) pushing their own political agenda, I shouldnt be surprised that a good story gets in ahead of the facts.

TV news has to be paid for by advertising.

It will always be corrupted.

All this cracks me up, I didnt watch the news last night but Im starting to doubt the figure the herald reported of 35 cars is correct. Its probably more like 5 x 7 series and couple of x5's and several 3 series. heheh

People have totally missed the point on all this, They have already said it was up for tender not they just walked off the street and said I want 35 cars, give us your best price. Now in my experience, BMW would have come to the table (as with other manufactures) with thebest offer they could of made.

The other thing the media is _totally_ forgetting is BMW cars from factory options have bullet proof glass / doors and guns mounts. I dont see ford having these options.

It suprised me when going through the ETK that I can buy actual gun mounts for my e46! ...

BMW Badass Motor Werks

I think you may be missing the point Josh.

Why buy new cars at all? All this nonsense about old vehicles causing more damage than new is a crock.

There are two things in the "green" debate when it comes to vehicles.

1) Emissions - from the vehicle, and from the factory making the vehicle, and ships transporting the vehicle.

2) Use of non-renewable resources, namely fossil fuel and water - going through the vehicles engine and being used to produce the vehicle. (plant machinery, power, plus you forget that all plastics etc are also petroleum products).

The dogma from government about raising the age of the vehicle fleet to be green stems from the fact that the government is only considering the emissions and fuel usage to run the car. If every car coming onto our shores (new and secondhand) automatically accumulated a carbon deficit based on the cost in terms of emissions and resource use to build, and was then "depreciated" over the life of the vehicle, you would find that a well-serviced older vehicle kept in service is in fact overall, greener than the combined environmental cost of scrapping it and producing a newer vehicle to replace it.

We should be encouraging recycling of old vehicles for parts (like we do already), proper maintenance of the current fleet, responsible scrappuing of the fleet as it passes its useful life, and THEN encourage any new vehicles required to expand or top-up/replace the fleet to be green.

It makes no environmental sense to scrap the entire fleet tomorrow and construct an entire new fleet of "greener" cars. It just doesn't add up. If the government wanted to lead by example like the Hon David Parker claims, then they would improve the efficiency of the current vehicles even if that equates to higher economic cost over purchasing new vehicles.

I guess it all depends on whether you want to focus on preventing climate change (if indeed it is a risk), or whether you wish to preserve our way of life (by responsible use of finite resources), or both.

Also, as a side note - anyone read that rubbish on the american sweet potato/kumara they are trying to use to create ethanol as it has a high starch content? They claim that it is better than corn as the starch content is higher and as it is a non-edible variety it won't put pressure on food stocks. Again - more spin. Of course it will put pressure on food-stock. What do you think they'll have to stop growing in the fields if they want to grow these instead? I think biomass and biofuels may be one way ahead, but I wish that the media would at least report things semi-close to reality.

PS - I'm not a greenie. I'm not even convinced that climate change is a reality. However, it looks as though like it or not, we may be legislated into alternative fuels, Kyoto, etc, and I want to make sure that whatever we end up with is a half-way decent solution. otherwise we're all going to be regulated out of our old classic cars, forced to run new mini-cars with no character on cow methane, meanwhile we starve as there is no longer any food being produced due to all the worlds farm production being used to create fuel for power, ugly mini-cars and ipods.

Edited by bravo

The other thing the media is _totally_ forgetting is BMW cars from factory options have bullet proof glass / doors and guns mounts. I dont see ford having these options.

It suprised me when going through the ETK that I can buy actual gun mounts for my e46! ...

BMW Badass Motor Werks

I think they put more effort into ensuring the windows remain wound up to stop mud from being flung inside, rather than stray hunter's bullets... as that is the only real threat to our Government, well within the next 3 years of the contract anyway.