Sign in to follow this  
tonylauno1

Joined the BMW world after departing from my Honda world :)

I have always had a taste for BMW cars and budget for a Honda (closest thing to a BMW in my opinion), no guessing what I drove.

It wasn't until my old man came to NZL and started driving a BMW E39 528i that I found out maybe the cost of running one is not as expensive as I thought so now I have a 2000 E46 328ci.

Now my little brother is wanting to sell his Honda for a 1997 E36 Coupe which has what looks like brand new full white leather seats.

The only problem now is trying to convince my relatives, friends, colleagues & neighbours that these cars do not cost that much money to maintain (if you love cars) and I am not loaded nor did I struck it rich on a dodgy business deal.

Another problem encountered by BMW owners is the perception of other motorist. This was highlighted in the new Top Gear series which Jeremy Clarkson had what he called the Cock-o-meter camera and Richard Hammond driving a BMW E92 M3 scored the highest; as always those three and their test are hilarious. Maybe if I leave my erratic driving behaviour behind then this could be a good start to changing the perception of non-BMW owners.

By the way, new camera so there is alot of learning to do before I can take good photos. These have all been photoshop to display the correct contrast & brightness.

Continue on Post #4

post-2601-1198644197_thumb.jpg

post-2601-1198644353_thumb.jpg

post-2601-1198644589_thumb.jpg

post-2601-1198644676_thumb.jpg

post-2601-1198644839_thumb.jpg

post-2601-1198644907_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonylauno1

Thanks mate - The sat-nav looks like too much work from the photos. I am going to forget about that.

Wondered if this guy would install a Multi-function steering wheel for a fee.

Post #1 did not have enough room

I still can't get over that fact that this car I bought did not have a

1) rain sensor (It's not a big deal until you drive one which has),

2) CD-stacker (just in-dash single cd),

3) cruise-control (could get a ticket easily when it's so quiet, compared to a Honda and a throttle which doesn't need any encouragement)

4) volume & radio control on steering wheel (would probably still reach for centre console after driving a Honda for so many years)

5) Sat-Nav (can't watch TV while driving anyway, just looks better + there is wiring for a DVD player in boot and it has a 7inch TV on dash; good substitute)

So if anyone can help me out with a CD Stacker and a Multi-function steering wheel to help with item 2), 3) & 4) - that would be much appreciated or just tell me how expensive it is and I will leave it as it is :)[/font][/font][/size]

Welcome Tony, the car looks great, and nice pictures. BMWs cost more to maintain than your average Honda or Toyota, but they aren't as bad as people seem to think they are. Like you said, most BMW enthusiasts would happily pay that extra premium for that extra bit of driving pleasure.

Thank you everyone for the welcome greetings and your comments.

I don't have any plans to modified the car right now (need the extra discretionary cash in order to have plans) - no more lowering; been there and done it with Hondas, too much money involved especially when wanting correct cambers and it places unnecessary stress on suspension components and it might affect the ride of the car in a negative way.

I might do the following in the near future

1) clear indicator lights, not altezza look-a-likes would be a good start however I am sort of over these minor details. 2) tinted windows as the sun "bites" my right hand while driving long distances

3) could do with some mags, keeping it same size at 17inch

4) reclad front leather seats and carpets (need dark color carpets)

5) Multi-function steering wheel (This would probably be first on the list)

6) when I drive the car enough { in a few year time :) } and know what it is capable of and it's limits I might add a front & rear strut brace to see if it makes any difference

7) find out if a M3 air-intake would fit and find out how much hp it will add then might decide to get one.

8) could do the same with a M3 manifold if it fits and makes a difference.

Welcome Tony, the car looks great, and nice pictures. BMWs cost more to maintain than your average Honda or Toyota, but they aren't as bad as people seem to think they are. Like you said, most BMW enthusiasts would happily pay that extra premium for that extra bit of driving pleasure.

Apart from oil change, the Honda cost me next to nothing to maintain in 5 years but I have set aside $1000 each year for the BMW and it just accumulates if it doesn't get used. I reckon I will need it in 5 years time as you cannot ignore maintainance like you can on a Jap car, they are so forgiving. You are correct it is not as bad as people make it out to be, especially ones who does not own one and it's all hear, say, rumours. Some dedicate their lives to persuade others out of owning a European car even though they do not have any facts.

I get annoyed at people who have owned a BMW and 10,000k later at 80,000k they need to fix something which cost $2000, then they curse at BMW and seriously believe they are a bad manufacturer and swear to never own one again. If they did their homework they would have been better prepared for it; I think the problem is people don't expect to fork out more money when they have just spent alot more than average for a European car. Some reason these ill-informed people expect a European car to be a better quality car (which it is) and that it must also to be more reliable :)

Putting aside $1000 per year sounds about right. You'll probably be good in some of the years then a major issue comes up and takes it all. Btw, doubt the M3 stuff will fit on your car, very different engines, E46 M3 has individual throttle bodies. Does yours have the M52tu? And if you haven't already, you should check out www.e46fanatics.com, it seems to be the best E46 resource.

May I ask what model Honda you used to own? I have just done the opposite of you - BMW to Honda. Hoping it will be relatively problem-free.

Putting aside $1000 per year sounds about right. You'll probably be good in some of the years then a major issue comes up and takes it all. Btw, doubt the M3 stuff will fit on your car, very different engines, E46 M3 has individual throttle bodies. Does yours have the M52tu? And if you haven't already, you should check out www.e46fanatics.com, it seems to be the best E46 resource.

May I ask what model Honda you used to own? I have just done the opposite of you - BMW to Honda. Hoping it will be relatively problem-free.

From what I have read, it should be M52TUB28 (Steel cylinder lining + double vanos) as it is a 2000 however I could not find anything under the hood to confirm which engine it is. Already have about $1000 planned on rear bushing in the next 12 months and yeah, I was afraid that a major issue would consume it all.

I had a Inspire CC2 and yes, it is relatively problem free and if the previous owner had taken good care of it then it should still idle & shift smoothly even at 250,000km

Great to hear :) About the engine, Put the last 7 characters of your VIN into www.realoem.com. It'll tell you what engine it is.

Hi Tony,

Welcome.

You cannot fit the M3 intake. Totally different. I suggest getting the suspension sorted out first. New shocks and bushes and maybe M-sport springs. Forget about the strut bars and think about sway bars.

Have fun.

Cheers.

Great to hear :) About the engine, Put the last 7 characters of your VIN into www.realoem.com. It'll tell you what engine it is.

It tells me what engine it is but it does not give you which variant it is ie B28, B25, TUB28, TUB25 etc

This is all it has. Don't they stamp it somewhere on the engine or on a plate?

P E46 Cou 328Ci M52 ECE 19991100 R N

Production Code: BM52, batch ID: 47618

Welcome along, tidy car.

What did you use to stick the bracket for the screen to the dash? - I'm sick of having my GPS on the windscreen, gets busy with that and a radar!

Cheers and HB

Welcome along, tidy car.

What did you use to stick the bracket for the screen to the dash? - I'm sick of having my GPS on the windscreen, gets busy with that and a radar!

Cheers and HB

It's one of these metal plate which comes with an attachment to slide into the back of the TV. I have seen the same thing on a few fresh imports from Japan, I guess they are standard equipment all Japanese use for their navigation. Maybe talk to a car dealer and hope they will give them to you for free when it's removed from their cars. The car dealer never removed it on my vehicle after they imported into NZL.